Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
chaonatic

No Third Party Game Will Run

Every single third party game that I own thinks Steam isn't running when I try to launch it. I get an error like:

Code:
Steam must be running to play this game.
This happens with Braid, Torchlight, Civ IV and Osmosis, though Portal runs fine.

This is on 2.4GHz MacBook Pro running Leopard, 10.5.8. I've tried reinstalling all applications and Steam but I still have the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Zetsumei

often deleting the clientregistry.blob can help. And make sure you don't run the games directly but start them through the steam client.

You can find the clientregistry.blob in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam
Zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
DerrickG

Valve
What is your home directory chaonatic?
DerrickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
chaonatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickG View Post
My home directory is "supernaut", all lower case.

And thanks for the advice Zetsumei, but I always launch the games from the Steam client and deleting the clientregistry.blob didn't make a difference either.
chaonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Buffalofaithful

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaonatic View Post
Every single third party game that I own thinks Steam isn't running when I try to launch it. I get an error like:

Code:
Steam must be running to play this game.
This happens with Braid, Torchlight, Civ IV and Osmosis, though Portal runs fine.

This is on 2.4GHz MacBook Pro running Leopard, 10.5.8. I've tried reinstalling all applications and Steam but I still have the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm having the same problem with Torchlight.

Never downloaded the demo only the full version on steam... if i try to start the game i get the SteamAPI error

I was able to start in SAFEMODE=1, however the game starts up in windowed mode AND it's the demo version. If i try to change the resolution to full screen the game crashes with the same error.

I've tried reinstalling Steam and the Game.. defraged game cache.. verified integrity ( everytime i Verify it says (1 Files failed to validate and will be reaquired... then little window pops up saying finished downloading Torchlight... still doesn't work after).

Also if i quit the game at the Torchlight starting Menu on get the Error:

Error in Saving to Steam
Unable to save characters to Steam account. Appears the game doesn't support cloud saving.

I am able to play the Demo till lvl 4 but since i only downloaded the full version it only adds to the confusion. It seems like it should be a simple patch fix but like you i'm still waiting...

I'm on a Macbook with snow leopard (upgrading to Snow Leopard doesn't help btw)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
digitaloasis

I get exactly the same issue, both Torchlight and Alitude fail to run due to the apparent "steam not running" messages. Portal works perfectly fine, so Im at a loss at to the root cause.

What's most irritating is that there has been many reports of these issues, and no word from valve on the solution (depite almost daily updates to the steam client).
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
chaonatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickG View Post
I'm gonna ping you again since you asked a question and you're staff.

Have you any other ideas? I'm going to list all the messages I get from my third party games, maybe it'll help.

Torchlight:
Code:
Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init0 Failed)
Osmosis
Code:
Steam must be running to play this game
Civ4
Well this one has the icon come up in the launch bar but then it disappears with no error.

Braid
Code:
Steam is Required: Please make sure you are running Braid from Steam!  This version of the game won't work otherwise.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Pyramid

I am having the exact same problem with Madballs.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
cbass98

I have the same specs on my MBP, and also the same problem with third party games. Braid, Torchlight, Peggle. Also, Portal works for me, but when I try to view the achievements list in game, it gives me an error message about steam not running.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
cbass98

Update:

Did some digging on other forums and tried to chmod some of the executable files for Braid and Torchlight. No dice, it seems to have no effect, as I still get the same error messages.

Anyone else have this problem and manage to fix it? I'm kinda bummed that I can't play anything besides Portal.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
chaonatic

I'm thinking it's an issue with Steam DRM and somehow it's not applying it to any third party games, though their own titles will work fine. I've pretty much given up trying to fix the issue on my own. Now, I guess, I'll just wait for Valve to say they've identified and fixed the issue, cause I'm fairly certain that there's nothing we can do to correct this.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
cbass98

Well, after I got off work I came home today and decided to try it again. BRAID WORKED!!

Perhaps it was a Steam Cloud issue? I'm not sure, but the issue seems to have corrected itself, at least for me.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
digitaloasis

unfortunately, still no joy here. there was also another thread on the runic forum about adding a launch script into LaunchAgents, but all that happened was that the file is immediately deleted when steam starts... so still no joy.

and still no official word from valve on even acknowledging this issue, so i dont hold out hope of it getting fixed soon
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
dbgouge

Same thing

Same thing happening here. The latest update doesn't let me to run my 3rd party games: namely, Torchlight
Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
chaonatic

WTF, is this ever gonna be addressed, and maybe, possibly fixed? That would, ya know, be great cause I'd like to effin' play my games on a quite capable laptop FFS.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games