Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal

Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
WindPower

Arrow GLaDOS voice generator

[Boring intro ahead. Feel free to skip]
So I've read some tutorials around these forums on how to generate such GLaDOS-y sound files, and they're nice, save one thing: sound files have to be created manually (using a text-to-speech software or recording from microphone, then applying effects). What I would really love to have is a direct GLaDOS text-to-speech tool that I could use for stuff like reading my news, telling me how many emails I have in the morning, reading their subject lines, etc. So, of course, it would be pretty pointless to create these sounds by hand...
So I've dropped the idea for a while (that was somewhere mid-2008). But every other month, I'd stumble upon a random Portal-related video on YouTube for some reason... and I'd inevitably hear GLaDOS's voice again, and the idea would come back to me.
This happened again a few months ago, and this time I swore to myself I'd just do the damn thing. I happened to have set up a server with a graphical environment a few days before, which would allow me to run graphical applications (I'm looking at you, Melodyne), so all I needed to do was to automate the text synthesizing part (easy), then importing that file into Melodyne (easy), and then creating a script that would know where to click or what button to press to apply the effects needed to get the GLaDOS effect I want (much harder). But I gave it a shot, and while it is painfully slow (the server is running Linux, so it has to run Melodyne through Wine, and its specs aren't that great either), so it can take minutes for one message to be synthesized. That is fast enough for my needs alone, but now what if I wanted to let others profit from my work? That's what I told myself later on, so I coded up a little queuing web-based front-end for the thingy. It queues up messages and slowly processes them on a first-come-first-serve basis.

[/End of boring intro]

I have posted this a few months ago on two other Portal-related sites to do a little bit of stress-testing, and it has so far held up, despite the occasional queue stalling. Now I'm finally posting it to the main (official) Portal forums as a final stress test and also, of course, to let you guys generate voices and stuff.

So, without further ado, I hereby present:
The GLaDOS voice generator!
*insert Zelda "new item found" sound effect here*

The thing's simple: you enter a message and your email address. Your messages gets queued. When it's your message's turn, the server does its GLaDOS magic and emails you when the resulting audio file is ready for download. That's it

tl;dr:
  1. Go to http://glados.biringa.com/
  2. Type message and email
  3. Hit Enter
  4. ???
  5. PROFIT!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Sirhc Nacnud

This is awesome.
Sirhc Nacnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Slappy Jay

"Omnomnomnom look at me talking in a sexy robot voice"

xD
Slappy Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Hyper_Spider

Mine glitched or is a virus, it just kept saying "wel wel wel wel wel wel" etc. and things kept popping up saying some error continuously and I had to Ctrl Alt Delete out of MediaMonkey.
Hyper_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
WindPower

Thanks everyone~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Spider View Post
Mine glitched or is a virus, it just kept saying "wel wel wel wel wel wel" etc. and things kept popping up saying some error continuously and I had to Ctrl Alt Delete out of MediaMonkey.
This is probably an issue on your side. This utility only lets you download standard .wav files, which can't contain viruses, they're just audio. I suggest you try playing them using VLC.
WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Hyper_Spider

Alright it's fine in Windows Media Player. Sorry about that. Dx

Mine was "Welcome to the world of tomorrow!" and I think she has some kind of accent. xD

Cool site! +rep
Hyper_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
nrnoble

Nice job.... Tested it out and it worked great.

Don't let any of the preteens in the forum get to you, they love dramatize everything they have say because they finally get to use their computer without mom and dad supervising what they are posting...
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #8
lukeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindPower View Post
What I would really love to have is a direct GLaDOS text-to-speech tool that I could use for stuff like reading my news, telling me how many emails I have in the morning, reading their subject lines, etc. So, of course, it would be pretty pointless to create these sounds by hand...
There are screen readers which do exactly what you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers
lukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Slappy Jay

The voice isn't even near GLaDOS', but I do approve xD
Slappy Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
lukeguy

That's becase they had Ellen McLain imitate TTS engine adding back some emotions and style. Then the recorded sounds were distorted. No machine can do that ATM unfortunately.
lukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal