Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Fatt-Slice

F.E.A.R. - FPS / Logitech fix

Since I have seen so many posts about it and people still asking, this is for the answer.

This is a known compatibility issue with the original F.E.A.R. engine and Logitech G series keyboards and mice, with an emphasis on the former.

This is caused by the engine incorrectly overpolling the USB I/O in Windows. This is mainly apparent in all versions of Windows 7.
Logitech is not at fault - there are some apparent flamers here - which is why Logitech products work with a literal 99% of games.

TO FIX

Simply go into the Start menu and right-click "Computer", choose "Manage".

From there, go to "Device Manager" and choose "Human Interface Devices".

To get the best performance, you are going to want to disable all "HID-Compliant Device", you should not need to disable ANYTHING else.

Note: for the most part, these are used for the interfaces on the keyboards, which is why there is anywhere from 3-7, any applets will be disabled until these HID devices are re-enabled.

Interestingly enough, this issue is also persistent in Condemned: Criminal Origins, since it uses the same engine - Lithtech Jupiter EX - this "fix" also works.

Last edited by Fatt-Slice: 12-20-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
The_Thing

Someone should sticky this thread. Great job!
The_Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
zemzamzeman

This fix works just fine for me. I had the same issue.

I am on Windows 7 Enterprise. Logitech G19 MB + G500 Mouse. I had horrible lagtastic framerate. After using the fix listed above, everything was smooth.

Thanks again.
zemzamzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
JK_DC

Thumbs up

/rant

I have 13 entries to disable because someone is too lazy to spend 1 hour editing the polling rate to a lower value. So the whole world gets to waste 1000's of hours, even though they patched it 8 times and never bothered to fix this little issue.

/rant

Last edited by JK_DC: 05-22-2010 at 03:31 PM.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
MenaceInc

Thankfully (in respect to this issue) I've only a G500 mouse but I found that it was the devices listed that controlled my left scroll, right scroll and middle thumb button.

Just a note as well, it has to be a HID-compliant device with 046D in their hardware ID. You can find this by right-clicking --> properties --> details --> Hardware IDs.

I tried everything in the SetPoint software (which isn't run normally) to set these buttons to unassigned or disabled but after testing various combinations, none of them worked. Only disabling them in device manager had any effect.
MenaceInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
zemzamzeman

I understand everyone's frustration.

I would love to say that they should just patch this, but the developer for this game went out of business years ago. The current publisher owns the rights to the game, but does not have the ability or the desire to try and patch it. What we have is what we get. At least, that is what I have been told.

I guess the good news is that it is such an amazing game, these little oddites can be overlooked now that there is a fix (of sorts) for the problem.
zemzamzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Mr_Fayce

Thanks for the fix.

Should be sticked.
Mr_Fayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
playerboy8

Banned
Mah boi, you just got rep!(i mean OP, not guy above)
playerboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
MenaceInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemzamzeman View Post
I understand everyone's frustration.

I would love to say that they should just patch this, but the developer for this game went out of business years ago. The current publisher owns the rights to the game, but does not have the ability or the desire to try and patch it. What we have is what we get. At least, that is what I have been told.

I guess the good news is that it is such an amazing game, these little oddites can be overlooked now that there is a fix (of sorts) for the problem.
I'm sure the 100+ employees who work for Monolith ( http://www.lith.com/ ) would hate to hear that they've been working at an out-of-business studio for years. o.0

Fact is though that there was a mess between Logitech and Monolith between the way the Jupiter EX engine polls the USB bus so much and Logitech having weird drivers which resulted in bruised egos and still years later, no one wants to own up to the issue.

WB could tell Monolith to fix it but it's doubtful they will.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
xylent

I don't suppose anyone knows if the problem applies to logitech keyboards that are PS/2, from what I read on wikipedia the PS/2 keyboards and mice don't support HID and so shouldn't even be using it...

Does this problem, and the fix, apply to PS/2 devices?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
MenaceInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent View Post
I don't suppose anyone knows if the problem applies to logitech keyboards that are PS/2, from what I read on wikipedia the PS/2 keyboards and mice don't support HID and so shouldn't even be using it...

Does this problem, and the fix, apply to PS/2 devices?
You shouldn't have any issues with any PS/2 equipment, it's limited to how the game uses the USB ports.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
mesaone

so, considering the g9 and g9x mice (i have the g9) have an adjustable polling rate, would it work if the polling rate was set to a low value?
mesaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
Circlestrafe

I have the G500 with Setpoint v5.20.40 @ report rate of 500, Windows 7 x64 Professional and no framerate issues whatsoever. I do not have a Logitech keyboard, but the Saitek Eclipse. Perhaps the issue is related only to the Logitech Gxx keyboards, or those with polling rates of 1000 on their mouse?
Circlestrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Painseeker

G9 and G19, used this fix yesterday and went from 12fps on lowest to 100+fps on max
Painseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
FulValBot (ITA)

we need a real fix for this bug... if you disable these components you disable also some features on setpoint... check it...
FulValBot (ITA) is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series