Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series

Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
RCIX

The NEW Eschmod Community Preview

Ok all, i've completed rough work on the new Eschmod which merges my mod and Esch's together. Esch1lus is busy working on school, so he asked me to release this out to get community feedback. Y'all can download and try it out from http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n5qqzyj2mzn . Let me explain what exactly comes in this package:

* All eschmod changes, EXCEPT:
* My experimental unit balancing, as well as the Experimental Effects
* All research related items (so the tree is pretty much identical to what you saw in my mod)
* All lua features -- new mass conversion, Stun Jammer, Health and Layer conditional buffs, etc.
* A prototype new balance for the land units that increases faction diversity
* Fairly heavy artillery nerf
* Tweaks to the ACU guns and the PD guns to make them more diverse (no actual DPS changes though, save the Illuminate ACU getting slightly less DPS in exchange for range)
* A tweak to the research to make it more combat-driven

In general, the changelog mostly spells out what i changed off of Eschmod. Note that i haven't explained what any of the stuff i added is, as i don't plan to do that till we get a polished version of this released. If you want an explanation, search for my "experimental mod in the works" thread and read the info in the first post.

Basically, download, install, and try it out. Please tell me me if anything is grossly unbalanced, if something doesnt work (i know the Omni research doesnt work, but i think that will be fixed for the second official release of the mod), or if anything else crosses your mind that needs work. Trying it out with other people would be great!

EDIT: 0.13 is out, which tweaks the research a little, buffs the cost and power of fortified artillery, and finally fixes the mass conversion.

Last edited by RCIX: 06-06-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Machater

check your PMs on the gpg forums, I rarely use these.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
jonabar31

I tried a skirmish game and so far so good.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
katzenkrimis

Very cool. So many great changes.

It's much more enjoyable to play this game using your mods. Better tech trees, better balance, and experimentals that actually kick butt.

It's really nice to see the Wilfindja, Kriptor and Kraken FIXED.

Nice work guys. Keep it up.
katzenkrimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
RCIX

Thanks! Esch is mostly responsible for the balance though. Any comments on the new land units diversity?
RCIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
jonabar31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Thanks! Esch is mostly responsible for the balance though. Any comments on the new land units diversity?
I played a few more matches and the diversity seems just about right. Even the experimentals feel like old SC. Keep it up!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
RCIX

Thanks Hopefully esch will be able to do balance fine tuning soon with his play group, then we can actually pull together a massive changelist! In fact, that might be something i should do now.

Edit: i have worked out a new bomber behavior, and i feel that the time is right to release the following excerpt from Beta 0.2's changelog (you likely won't see that for some time though):

Reworked the UEF bomber:
* It's cheaper, faster, and less armored
* Bombs deal significantly less damage, but the bomber drops many on each pass (~5)
* Bombs have a targeting inaccuracy; they will target a random spot around the ground or unit that you told it to target. This makes it more effective at targeting unit groups. Unlike artillery, the bomb adjusts its relative target position to keep up with the unit.

As with all tweaks i make before they pass through Esch, this item may be subject to change in one or more ways. It is, however, a sign of things to come

Last edited by RCIX: 05-28-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
katzenkrimis

So far, I haven't noticed any faction diversity problems. Though I've only had a chance to play the merge for about 3-4 hours, but I'll keep playing. An hour or so each night and keep you posted.

It's really well done. I'm soooo happy. If it wasn't for you guys i wouldn't even be playing this game anymore.

That bomber fix is another great idea.

------

Last night my Kraken went head-to-head with a C-Rex and won.

Never thought i'd see the day. : D
Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
RCIX

Cool! 8)
Old 05-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
WV2MJR

I really like it! Good Work!
WV2MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Bismar

Played it with a couple of friends against AI. Seems great so far.

Not too sure about the cybran mass converters though. Shouldn't the active ability be left in the game?

Also, any chance we can have a naval factory for aeon? for the land units that can float that is. So all but the harvogs.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
RCIX

If i don't remove the ability, then it's imbalanced as Cybrans get uber-conversion while other races don't. I did originally have it rigged so Cybrans had to use the ability to toggle between mass and energy production, but after merging with Eschmod i was unable to do that. So i just deactivated the ability and made it a passive thing They don't get any more total production from their power generators at max, and they need more power generators for it to be effective.

It could be done though it's a fairly big undertaking (need a design, gotta model it, then invest all the effort in actually learning how to add a factory) and there are many other cool ideas i want to add
Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
Bismar

Hmm, not quite sure how the cybrans will have uber conversion, as after 20 energy towers, they wont generate any more mass, that is according to the patch notes.

Whereas for other races more energy really means more mass, as you can just keep activating it.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
katzenkrimis

This is what I read:

As far as the actual numbers go, the UEF and illuminate get a maximum production of 6 mass/second, which is achieved by building 11 mass convertors. the Cybrans get a maximum of 8 a second from 14 convertors, but this is because their mass conversion effectively costs 6 energy/second for every convertor that is active.

New notes:

Converted method of mass conversion for cybrans: Mass Conversion research now allows each power generator to inefficiently produce some mass (at a rate of 0.5 per second), instead of it being an active ability. The first 5 power generators will produce at the full level, and after that production rate will fall off till at 20 power generators no more mass will be produced.

Last edited by katzenkrimis: 05-29-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
RCIX

Yep, i basically removed the need to turn on the ability for 2 reasons:
* it reduces micro a little
* The method Esch uses to mod cannot easily be adapted to having the active conversion ability, if at all (and i use a hybrid mod system, with the part that lets me change abilities broken)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series