Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Chewy1015

Cutscene issue.

Okay, so I'm so ultra happy that I'm now able to get music working on the game again. YEE-HAW!!!

Now, I have a new issue, and that's with the cutscenes. It seems that the cutscenes will work fine at first, then slowly but surely, the sound will become out of sync with the video. How this happens? I don't know because I don't notice any skips. Furthermore, for the longer cutscenes, they'll start to freeze-skip for the last third, by that I mean it'll free, then play, then freeze, then play, and so forth.

Do any of you have this problem? And if so, do y'all know if there's a solution to it?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Chewy1015

So nobody knows of this cutscene issue? Does anyone have a solution?
Chewy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
WantMyMTV

I have the same problem...

Even with my original CD installation. That was the reason I bought the game from Steam. Thought the Steam 'version' might have fixed it...instead, the Steam version introduced the windowed cutscene along with the out-of-sync sound...

I think it's an issue with newer hardware and the video codec (bink, smacker, whatever?)...this didn't happen on my older laptop...
WantMyMTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
BlackmarketK

I have this issue as well. It's unfortunate, this is my first time playing Jedi Knight.
BlackmarketK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Trojax2010

If you install the radtools you can watch them outside of the game fine. But they seem to work ok for me.

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
Trojax2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Bloodycrow

The video files are .smk, which are smacker. The codecs are generally available in any codec pack, such as the K-Lite codec pack.

Alternatively, RAD's free official video tools has both Bink and smacker codecs and compressors.

I did not have this issue, so I can't be certain that either of these will fix it for sure. But it is a good idea to have as many video codecs available on your computer as possible anyway.

EDIT: I see Trojax snuck in a post while I was researching links. =)
Bloodycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Document

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojax2010 View Post
If you install the radtools you can watch them outside of the game fine. But they seem to work ok for me.[/url]
Speaking for myself, if I have to watch them outside the game I'll probably use Youtube; that way I can navigate to locations and go full screen, and I don't have to guess which level each file goes with.

In case the information helps, though: playing them with RAD Tools eliminates the stutter but not the out-of-sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodycrow View Post
The video files are .smk, which are smacker. The codecs are generally available in any codec pack, such as the K-Lite codec pack.
That doesn't mention Smacker on the website or in the list of available components in the installer.

Quote:
Alternatively, RAD's free official video tools has both Bink and smacker codecs and compressors.
Installed it; it doesn't seem to have a smackw32.dll, which is apparently what I need (in an older version) for JK.

(For the record, there's also a thread about this problem at Lucasforums, but they haven't been able to help so far either.)

Last edited by Document: 07-27-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Document is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II