Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tachyon: The Fringe

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Zer0Emperor

New Player + Joystick Question

Hi everyone, Zer0Emperor here but you can call me Zero. I was flipping through Steam's collection of fighter pilot simulators and happened across this. I like it, it's similar to space fighter game I've played called Freelancer. The graphics aren't as good as Freelancer given they both were released in 2000, but the environment is much more realistic as far as scale and arrangement of objects (i.e. in Freelancer planets and stations were on a single plane and the planets and stations were much smaller) and the fact that it supports a joystick is what sold it for me.

There's only one thing that bothers me, and that is the manner in which the joystick controls the craft. I own a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with a 3rd twist axis, and have played a lot of flight simulators before. Usually the X (lean left-right) axis would control the roll of the craft while the Z(twist left-right) axis would control the yaw as an alternative to rudder pedals. However, in this game it's switched: leaning the joystick causes the craft to yaw while twisting it causes it to roll. I've only played through the first tutorial mission and already this is getting on my nerves. I don't see any way within the game of switching the axis controls. I've tried deactivating the rudder option and remapping the keyboard keys to change this, but to no avail. My question is, is there a way to change the way the joystick axes work, either in game with a mod or a patch, or with the joystick software itself?

Anyways, thanks and looking forward to this game in my free time. I'll see if I can find a solution on my own, but for now any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Zero

Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
JGZinv

There's games in multi on Sunday around 2 PM EST. Don't know if the Steam players can see the servers or not since NL cut it out via their last patch.
JGZinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Emperor View Post
There's only one thing that bothers me, and that is the manner in which the joystick controls the craft. I own a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with a 3rd twist axis, and have played a lot of flight simulators before. Usually the X (lean left-right) axis would control the roll of the craft while the Z(twist left-right) axis would control the yaw as an alternative to rudder pedals. However, in this game it's switched: leaning the joystick causes the craft to yaw while twisting it causes it to roll. I've only played through the first tutorial mission and already this is getting on my nerves. I don't see any way within the game of switching the axis controls. I've tried deactivating the rudder option and remapping the keyboard keys to change this, but to no avail. My question is, is there a way to change the way the joystick axes work, either in game with a mod or a patch, or with the joystick software itself?
I've always thought the default control configuration is that stick lean = yaw while stick twist is mostly reserved for barrel rolls. I could understand why someone would want to swap it (for a more realistic experience), but just keep in mind space sims don't necessarily corellate controls of that of standard air-and-ground flight sims.
sfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tachyon: The Fringe