Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 05-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
messineo

Question Can I use steam on two different computers at the same time?

I have many games on steam. I would like to be able to play one game on my pc while my daughter plays a different game on my mac.

But, when we try to login on the second machine, it says that steam account is already being used.

I understand steam not letting me play the same game on two different machines, but how can we play different games?

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
dtastones

you would need two different accounts to play at the same time. I don't think you can put it in offline mode but i have never tried this way of doing it. So maybe that might work but my bet is two accounts and buying them again sorry
dtastones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Xeeber

Unless it's an online game, just go into offline mode on one of the computers.
Xeeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
messineo

Okay, cool, I'll try that.
messineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
SiPlus.c

If you want to use Steam on two computers online at same time, you will fail, Steam will crash on one of two PCs with "This Steam account is used in another location".
SiPlus.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Caelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPlus_HWGUY View Post
If you want to use Steam on two computers online at same time, you will fail, Steam will crash on one of two PCs with "This Steam account is used in another location".
That's not crashing but closing down with a notice
Caelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
ThePenciler

Yeah, it just boots you out to a login refresh window.
ThePenciler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
nano....

One of the things about Steam's DRM is that you can only use it on one machine at a point in time.

You will need two accounts, Steam accounts are intended to be one per person.
nano.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
holyknight

this is somewhat off topic, but how about lan? Like, you get multiple people go offline on same account, with last guy online mode and all play same game in lan
would that work?
holyknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyknight View Post
this is somewhat off topic, but how about lan? Like, you get multiple people go offline on same account, with last guy online mode and all play same game in lan
would that work?
Yes if the game supports Offline mode. We had to do this for l4d2 at a Lan party we had. A lot of people didn't have l4d2 so we used one steam account in offline mode for everyone. You'd have to experiment with different games.
GirlPower23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Chomerly

Though i'm entering this topic rather late i have to say that i understand totally where some of you are coming from.
Right now i'm upstairs on my laptop typing out this reply while downstairs my desktop is downloading games from Steam that i'd purchased just 20 minutes ago.

What i'd like to do is download and play a couple of the smaller games, like the amazing Darwinia, on my laptop while the rest of the games are downloading on my desktop.
I'd love to see Valve add a system into Steam whereby an account holder could use the program on a maximum of 2 separate computers at the same time.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a maximum of 2 computers per account holder but maybe Valve, as a DRM measure, could limit the online capability of one the steam programs while both are running at the same time.
If they did this then it would stop people from giving their mates access to their account so they could play online together.

Just a thought.

Anyone care to comment?

Last edited by Chomerly: 06-24-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
Magicpness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomerly View Post
What i'd like to do is download and play a couple of the smaller games, like the amazing Darwinia, on my laptop while the rest of the games are downloading on my desktop.
I'd love to see Valve add a system into Steam whereby an account holder could use the program on a maximum of 2 separate computers at the same time.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a maximum of 2 computers per account holder but maybe Valve, as a DRM measure, could limit the online capability of one the steam programs while both are running at the same time.
If they did this then it would stop people from giving their mates access to their account so they could play online together.

Just a thought.

Anyone care to comment?
I completely agree. PSN [playstation network] does a 'sharing' program, so that friends can share DLC on games so that they can all play together, maximum of 5 shared users. Makes a lot more sense, and controllable via the host account (although it's a little cumbersome to remove a shared 'app', as you have to go to the actual PS3 to disable the app). I believe it works, and works well.

Imagine, you just got a new DLC, and share it with your friends, your friends love it, and want their friends to play too, ergo they buy it as well. I think its good, self-perpetuating viral marketing.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
Caelo

Maybe just be able to log in twice and download, but not play games on both account at the same time. Although I doubt they will ever do this. It would make it way to easy to fool steam into thinking it can start up a game, by just sending some false connection data.

Also isn't it already possible to open steam, go in offline mode, and open steam on a diffferen PC? Haven't tried this myself, but seeing as steam is in offline mode on one PC, the steam servers shouldn't even be aware it is logged on.
Caelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Amander

You can use the offline mode. My girlfriend was playing The Witcher on my account on her PC in offline mode while I was playing Killing Floor on my PC in online mode.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam