Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods

Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
gorpie

Exclamation Fixes & Updates For Broken Mods

The May 2010 and August 2010 updates to Half-Life 2 and the Episodes changed the locations of some files within the games’ .gcf files. As a result, some mods that used to work now need a little tweaking in order to run, some require a patch, and a few no longer work at all (a patch will be required).

Some people may see missing models (a red ERROR icon) or missing textures (a magenta and black check pattern) in a mod, while other people don’t have any problems at all.

Mods that have patches

Other mods may not need any tweaking in order to run on your system. One tester suggested using a compressed version of the mod (if available) rather than a version with a self-installer. Other testers had no problems with self-installing mods.

• For each mod in the list below, I have tried to show the minimum changes needed to get the mod to run. I was not able to fully test each mod myself, so if a change has been left out, please make a post.

• Mods that are not in the list have yet to be tested. If you have a question about a specific mod, please make a post.

• The mods in the list are color coded. If the fixes shown in the entry for the mod do not work for you, see the appropriate section for possible additional fixes you can try. For mods that are not in the list, open the mod’s gameinfo.txt file to check the SteamAppID, then look in the appropriate section.
Half-Life 2(SteamAppID 220)
Half-Life 2 Episode 1(SteamAppID 380)
Half-Life 2 Episode 2(SteamAppID 420)
Miscellaneous – open the mod’s gameinfo.txt file for the SteamAppID and refer to the appropriate section.

Mods with any other SteamAppID (usually 215 or 218) do not need changes at this time.

Many thanks to ikar, Jottle, pizzahut, SilverMink, CatzEyes93, DirectVic and derrman0426 for helping test and fix the mods!!!!
Thanks to ultradude25 for hosting a mirror site for all the patches!!!
Thanks to Crykton for uploading the SMOD patches when mediafire changed!!!

Download Links

Important: After downloading, extract the compressed files to a temporary location and copy only the folders you need into the mod's directory.

NOTE: Due to my download site suspending my links for too much traffic (twice!), I have removed my links from this section. If you need any of the following downloads, send me a PM.
  • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\bin send me a PM
  • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\scenes send me a PM
  • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\maps (includes hl2\maplist.txt) send me a PM
  • episode 1 shared.gcf\episodic (so far this has only been needed for MINERVA: Metastasis. The most current, unofficial patch for Minerva now includes the episodic folder, so you don’t need to download it separately) send me a PM
  • episode 2 materials.gcf\ep2\materials send me a PM
  • episode 2 content.gcf\ep2\models send me a PM

• half-life 2 content.gcf – SilverMink’s link, send me a PM
    This is the entire, pre-update, half-life 2 content.gcf. It includes:
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\reslists
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\bin
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\maps
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\scenes
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\gameinfo.txt
    • half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\maplist.txt
You will also need one or more of the following:
  • 7zip – link
  • WinRAR – link
  • WinZip – link
  • GCFScape – link (to extract from your own .gcf files)

Fixes for Half-Life 2 Mods (SteamAppID 220)

If you cannot move, or if you can move but cannot turn:
  • if the mod does not have its own \bin folder, copy half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\bin.
  • if the mod does have its own \bin folder, you can try the additional fixes shown for Half-Life 2 mods, but the mod will likely require a patch. You can also try overwriting the mod’s \bin folder with hl2\bin, or with the \bin of a similar mod that runs.

If NPCs do not interact (Combine or Rebel), or you don’t hear a Breencast:

When copying hl2\scenes:
  1. Rename the mod’s \scenes folder
  2. Copy hl2\scenes into the mod’s directory
  3. Copy the contents of the mod’s original \scenes folder into the new \scenes folder, and overwrite any files

Additional fixes for Half-Life 2 Mods (thanks to fitzroy_doll, author of CSS: SCI-FI 3, for the original info)

1. Change gameinfo.txt as follows:
    Code:
    FileSystem
    {
    	SteamAppId		215
    	ToolsAppId		211

SearchPaths

Game			|gameinfo_path|.
    	Game			sourcetest
    	Game			hl2
    }
  2. Restart Steam.
  3. Copy half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\scenes into the mod’s \scenes folder (see "When copying hl2\scenes", above).
  4. If the mod uses HL2 maps, copy half-life 2 content.gcf\hl2\maps into the mod’s \maps folder.
  • If you make changes to the mod’s gameinfo.txt file, you must restart Steam in order for the changes to be applied. (Copying folders does not require a restart.)

• Exceptions to the general fixes shown are noted in the Comment for each mod.

Fixes for Episode 1 Mods (SteamAppID 380) (thanks to andyb at PlanetPhillip)

Code:
    FileSystem 
    {
    	SteamAppId		218
    	ToolsAppId		211
    	AdditionalContentId	380

SearchPaths

Game			|gameinfo_path|.
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|episodic
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|hl2
    }
  2. Restart Steam.
Note: The fix for “MINERVA: Metastasis” requires that you extract and copy the contents of the Episodic folder from episode 1 shared.gcf. This fix has not yet been needed for other Episode 1 mods, but it is something you can try if you need to.
  • If you make changes to the mod’s gameinfo.txt file, you must restart Steam in order for the changes to be applied. (Copying folders does not require a restart.)

Fixes for Episode 2 Mods (SteamAppID 420) (thanks to TiiM, author of Dangerous World, via andyb at Planet Phillip)

Code:
    FileSystem 
    {
    	SteamAppId		218
    	ToolsAppId		211
    	AdditionalContentId	420

SearchPaths

Game			|gameinfo_path|.
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|ep2
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|episodic
    	Game			|all_source_engine_paths|hl2
    }
  2. Restart Steam.

If you have Missing Models:

If you have missing models, you will see one or more red ERROR icons. Try copying episode 2 content.gcf\ep2\models into the mod’s \models folder.

When copying ep2\models:
  1. Rename the mod’s \models folder
  2. Copy the ep2\models folder into the mod’s directory
  3. Copy the contents of the mod’s original \models folder into the new \models folder, and overwrite any files

If you have Missing Materials:

If you have missing materials, you will see a magenta and black check pattern. Try copying episode 2 materials.gcf\ep2\materials into the mod’s \materials folder.

When copying ep2\materials:
  1. Rename the mod’s \materials folder
  2. Copy the ep2\materials folder into the mod’s directory
  3. Copy the contents of the mod’s original \materials folder into the new \materials folder, and overwrite any files

How I first tested the mods

I started a new game and played briefly—ideally to a load screen and a point where an NPC-scripted event occurred. Update: I am currently playing fully through each mod, after playing a mod where NPC scripts worked in map 1 and map 2, but did not work in map 3. (This comment will be removed when the mods tested in this fashion have been played.)

Original testing by me was done on a 2.8GHz single-core Windows XP SP3 system, with 2GB RAM. My video card was an nVidia GeForce XFX-5200 (128M VRAM)—HL2/Episodes ran it as hardware DX level 8.0, software DX level 9.0).

Last edited by gorpie: 09-14-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: removed links :( - fixed SilverMink's "hl2 content" link (my fault, sorry!)
Old 05-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
gorpie

99 Bolts: Chasing Winona
Fix: No fix needed.
Comment: Note that occasional crossbow ammo glitch occurred before update. (When you get your gear, you're supposed to have 99 crossbow bolts.)

A Frayed Stitch in Time
Bugs: One teeny, tiny missing texture in a floor someplace. Also, the last half of the mod I was unable to run. I don't remember if it was this way before, or not.

Absence
Fix: Change SteamAppID to 215.

After-Life 2
Bugs: Missing models and textures. Wireframe visible. Map 1 wasn't too bad, but in map 2 it becomes unplayable.
Fix: Can run by changing SteamAppID to 218.
Comment: I tried making all changes to gameinfo.txt, copying episode two content.gcf\ep2\models, and episode two materials.gcf\ep2\materials into the mod's directory, then reinstalling the mod. This actually made the mod worse--I was stuck floating face down in the air when I started a new game.

Alan's Mod
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppID to 218.
Comment: This worked fine as far as I was able to test it. Even before the update I got stuck at the magnet puzzle and couldn't proceed (I mean literally stuck--I couldn't move). Same thing happened again.

Appeltaart

Appledacker DeadSpace

ASDA

Awakening

Black Mess
Bug: Images shown for New Game are totally black.

BlitzKrieg
Bugs: Got map crashes in several maps, after trying everything.
Comment: This mod will run. If you want to try playing it, you'll at least want to change the SteamAppId to 215 in gameinfo.txt. I also added Game sourcetest to the SearchPaths in gameinfo.txt and extracted the \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf. I'm pretty sure I had a crash in one location before the update. Now I've had crashes in five separate places (maybe four maps). (If you find a fix that works for you, please let me know.)

Bloodstone - The Journey Home
Bugs: With no changes made, game starts in first-person, no NPCs around.
Comment: I tried several different changes to get this to run. All resulted in "Engine Error: Could not load library client".

Blue Shift 2 (Demo)

Calamity

Causality Effect
Bugs: Scripted NPC events not working. (You start out with Alyx in Red Letter Day just before you get to Kleiner's lab, and the mod relies heavily on NPC scripts.)

Checkerboarded Hopes 2
Comment: I got stuck in the same place I did pre-patch; next map wouldn't load. It is impossible to tell if there actually are any missing models and textures, because they made it that way intentionally. The Alyx models in reference pose are supposed to be that way (in one map).

The Citizen
Bugs: Scripted voice files not playing.
Fix: Unofficial patch available. (Thanks to SilverMink for the fix and the patch.)
Fix Info: Extract the zip file's contents to a temporary location. From the extracted folder (The Citizen fix v2), navigate to the level with gameinfo.txt, and the folders \bin and \scenes. Move or copy the entire contents to the mod's folder. Restart Steam.
Alternate Fix: Change SteamAppID in gameinfo.txt to 215. Extract \bin and \scenes folders from half-life 2 content.gcf.

The City

City 5
Bugs: Noticed one tiny missing texture in beginning alley (on a wall).

City 7: Toronto Conflict
Fix: Unofficial patch available. As stated, you don't need to add the sourcetest line to gameinfo.txt. Instead, extract the folder hl2\bin from half-life 2 content.gcf. Note that extracting from half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf does not work. (Thanks to SilverMink for the patch and info.)
Comment: The first scene still does not work. Kleiner/Barney/Eli models don't move, and no sound is heard. Maybe if I'd waited 5 minutes, things would have been triggered and I could progress. Instead, I used the sv_unlockchapters command in config.cfg and loaded the second chapter. Worked fine, but I missed out on the cool battle in the first square.

City 14
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 215; add Game sourcetest to SearchPaths.
Comment: In second chapter, the rebel inside the building often put itself into reference pose. In first chapter, could not get barricade to drop after canal section--don't know if I did it wrong (didn't have this problem before the update, but it may not be due to the update).

City Rebellion
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt, changed SteamAppId to 215. Extracted \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf and copied to mod's directory.

Coastline-to-Atmosphere
Fix: Change SteamAppId in gameinfo.txt to 215.
Comment: Mod runs without fixes, but crashes on map load of leonHL2-2c. Note that APCs in map 2b may not trigger quite like they used to, but you can still kill them and keep playing. (If you still have problems, possible additional fixes are here and here.)

Combine Combat

Combine Destiny
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, changed SteamAppId to 215 and added "Game sourcetest" in SearchPaths section.

Combine Force: Citadel City 17 Demo
Bugs: Skybox glitches in last map (may have existed pre-update).

Combine Insurrection Demo
Bugs: Image shown for New Game is black. When second map loaded, could not move--reloading a save fixed it. However, nothing seems to trigger in Map 2 and cannot open exit door.
Fix: No fix needed to run.

Combine Survival - Beta

Compromised
Bug: In Cinematic version, Combine soldier in power room is in "reference pose" when room is first entered.
Comment: Works with Ep2 fixes.

CryShield
Bugs: Scripted voice files not playing (not for CPs or rebels).
Comment: Mod may still be playable with no fixes. I did not play beyond the first rebel NPC.

CSS Sci-Fi 3: Hardwired
Fix: Patch available. (Thanks to phillipjfry6 for this info.)

CyberScape
Fix: Runs fine with Ep1 or Ep2 fixes. (It is an Ep1 mod, but it seemed to run more smoothly with the Ep2 fixes.)

Dachka
Bugs: Some enemies were intermittently invisible, but not their weapons. (Don't know if this was a pre-update glitch.) Also, font for menu title is glitched (also don't remember if this happened pre-update.)
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt: changed SteamAppId to 215, added Game sourctest at end of SearchPaths.

Dangerous World
Fix: Patch available.

Dark Edges - The House

Dark Factory
Comment: Seems fine without fixes. (Thanks to CatzEyes93 for this info.)

Dark Peak
Bugs: 2 missing textures on Victoria Street, 2 missing models in Whitfield Park. (Both textures and one model fixed when SearchPaths updated with entire fix.) Also, NPC script in Whitfield Park is messed up. You can still get the code, but you're not told what you're supposed to do.
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 218 and delete sourcetest line from SearchPaths.

Dark World
Bugs: New Game image is completely white; only one image displays, and no Start button (must double click the chapter to start).
Fix: Seems fine without fixes.
Comment: Before the update, the mod crashed on me in map 6. I only tested to the 4th map load this time. (It crashed on me a couple times, but reloading a save worked.

Das Roboss
Fix: Had to add "Game sourcetest" below "Game hl2" in the SearchPaths section of gameinfo.txt.
Comment: I still had some font issues with the main menu, but I experienced them before the update.

Dawn

DayHard
Comment: Works fine with HL2 fixes.

Deal with Destiny
Bugs: Cannot move.
Fix: Change SteamAppID in gameinfo.txt to 215. Extract \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf (overwrite existing bin). (Thanks to SilverMink for the fix.)
Comment: The struck out fix may work for you. I cannot recreate the conditions in which it worked for me the other day.

Dear Esther
Comment: Works fine. (Thanks to pizzahut and Jottle for this info.)

Decay
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 218.

Destiny
Bugs: Some small areas show wireframes instead of texture. One CP in mid-air near beginning. One missing model at end.

Dino D-Day
Comment: Some people could not run this mod before the update (me being one of them). (Thanks to pizzahut for testing!)

DoomEd
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 215.
Comment: Got lots of "missing whatever" messages in the console. Copying the HL2\scenes folder fixed the errors, but not copying the folder doesn't interfere with game play in any way.

Drowned World
Bugs: Some minor reflection/draw issues.

Eclipse
Comment: Seems to works fine with HL2 fixes. (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.)

Escape by XMO
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 215. Extract the \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf.

Escape the Room

The Event in Village

The Extraction Point

Eye of the Storm
Bugs: Whether you experience any problems depends on your system. Some people have no problems at all, even without fixes. Others have no problems after applying fixes. Still others have some missing models/textures, and a game crash.
Fix:(Thanks to SilverMink, ikar and CatzEyes93 for their testing.)
  • On some systems, no fix needed.
  • On others, in gameinfo.txt change SteamAppId to 218, add AdditionalContentId 420; in SearchPaths section, add Game |all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest as last line. Then use GCFScape to extract \ep2\models from episode two content.gcf and \ep2\materials from episode two materials.gcf.

Flipside
Fix: No fix needed. (Thanks to DirectVic for testing this.)

G-Mod 9.0
Comment: Seems fine with HL2 fixes. (Thanks to ganjagoblin for this info.)

Gateways

Get a Life
Comment: No fix needed. (Note that I didn't play up to a scripted-NPC event. Please let me know if you have problems.)

Grapple Mod

The Great Forever Tomorrow
Bugs: Water textures probably messed up in first map.

Last edited by gorpie: 02-26-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added patch link for CSS Sci-Fi 3: Hardwired
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
gorpie

Halloween 2005
Comment: Works with HL2 fixes.

Hard Escape

Haunted House
Bugs: When you start a new game, the first image shown is not available--displays missing texture.

HMS Defiance

HMS Defiance 2

HoloReality
Comment: Some of the zombies in the second area (where you get the crossbow) seem really stupid, but I don't remember if they were like that before.

Human Error
Fix: Patch available.
Comment: Some textures may still be messed up at first, but are fixed when you quit Human Error and then start it again. (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.)
Post-patch Bug: Some people may still experience problems with continuing at the end of Ritual (level 3), where an NPC is supposed to open a gate for you. If you experience this, open the console, enable cheats, and type in: ent_fire model_gate_to_mines setanimation open (Thanks to jottle and pizzahut for this info.)

Hunterville

Independence Demo
Bugs: Without fixes, crashed often. With fixes, some models/textures too shiny.
Fixes: Will run without fixes, but it crashed on me a lot. In gameinfo.txt changed SteamAppId to 215 and added Game sourcetest as last line in SearchPaths.

Infestation

Intrusion

The Island
Bugs: Cannot turn or look around.
Fixes: Change SteamAppID in gameinfo.txt to 215. Extract \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf. (Thanks to SilverMink for the fix.)

Jail Escape
Bugs: Font problems for crosshair, etc., existed before the update. At start of map 3, could not move--had to noclip; also, map 3 "intro text" does not display (does display with AppId changed to 215). NPC script in map 4 does not work. NPC script at end does not work. No melee weapon or reload animations (don't remember if it worked this way before the update).
Fix: No fix needed to run. I tried every fix possible and still had the same glitches.

Joutomaa
Bugs: Will run with fixes. However, there are many missing models and textures.
Comment: If I don't learn of a fix, I am hopeful that this will be fixed when part 2 is released.

Joutomaa Redux
Comment: I'm told there are no problems with this! Can't wait to try it!

Korin Mod
Fix: Works with fixes. In addition to the above fixes, you need to extract the HL2 maps from "half-life 2 content.gcf". (For a new install, extract from "half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf". (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.)

Korsakovia
Bugs: Korsakovia will run with fixes. However, there are many missing models and textures.
Fix: Patch available. (Thanks to Jottle for the initial info, and bobsbarricades for the patch info.)

Logistique Demo

The Lost City

Lost in the Subway Redwell Street Demo

MACe - The Adventure

The Mansion 3: Freeman Residence

The Mansion 4: G-Man's Residence

Mentality
Comment: I noticed some graphics glitches that I didn't notice last time, but don't know if they're related to the update.

Minerva: Metastasis
Bugs: Water waves, crash at end of first map due to too many entities
Fix: Official Unofficial Patch available.
Retained for the reasons in this post: SilverMink's patch - follow the directions in the -view readme- link in this post! (Thanks to SilverMink for the patch, and to Tesla for starting the work. Thanks to derrman0426 for the help.) Official patch upcoming. (Thanks to pizzahut for the info.)
Fix Info: Exit Steam. Extract the folder \episodic from the file episode 1 shared.gcf. Copy entire contents into the mod's folder (SourceMods\metastasis), overwriting files. Extract the contents of the patch to a temporary location. Navigate through the folder (Minerva Fix v4.zip) to the \metastasis subfolder. Copy entire contents into your SourceMods folder, overwriting contents.

Missing Information, version 1.5
Comment: Seems fine without fixes (Thanks to CatzEyes93 for this info.)

Mission: Improbable

Mission to Mars
Comment: In gameinfo.txt changed AppId to 218 and added AdditionalContentId 420.

Mistake of Pythagoras
Fix: Change SteamAppId to 215 in gameinfo.txt. Mod will run fine without extracting HL2 scenes folder, but some miscellaneous NPC scripts don't work.
Comment: In the chapter Twisted Space, I encountered several maps or triggers that took a long time to load (2-3 minutes). The first was encountered in a train tunnel below ground (I think that's the chapter change point).

Nightmare House
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppID to 215.

No Escape

Nova Prospekt Under Attack
Bugs: New Game window is square and cuts off images for first and third chapter (there's only one chapter). Some Combine models are shiny.

Obscurity

Offshore

Old School
Comment: Works fine with fixes.

Opposing Force Ravenholm

Outbreak: Episode 1

Outpost 16
Fix: No fix needed. (Thanks to Jottle for this info.)

Outpost Xen
Comment: Works fine with fixes.

Overheid - Demo
Bugs: Missing textures at opening screen; New Game thumbnail uses default HL2 images.
Comment: Works without fixes. (Thanks to CatzEyes93 for this info.)

Penetration
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppdID to 215. Extract the \scenes folder from half-life 2 content.gcf (no files are overwritten). (Thanks to pizzahut for the previous fix info.)
Comment: Sometimes this seemed a little glitchy or laggy, not sure why.

Post Script: Episode 1

Powerstation 17

Project 25

Project Secret Weapon
Comment: Menu text font messed up (may be pre-update glitch). Mod crashes on me when quickload used during combat.

Provenance
Bugs: Textures, models and particles missing. Wireframe(?) also displays.
Fixes: Changing SteamAppId to 218 allows mod to run. Extracting episode two content.gcf\ep2\models and episode two materials.gcf\ep2\materials into SourceMods\Provenance\models and SourceMods\Provenance\materials solves most of the missing models and textures. (Then reextracted those same folders from the mod's zip file.)
Comment: If you change only the SteamAppId, the mod is virtually unplayable because of the quantity of missing models and textures. When the models and materials folders are extracted, there are still missing models and textures (and particles), but the mod is playable. There are also areas where the wiremesh shows through the floor and is very disorienting.
Note that before the update, this mod crashed on me if I tried to quickload during combat.

Pyramid

Quietus
Bugs: Menu background is an Ep2 default, without animations.

Radar 56

Radiator: Handle with Care

Random Quest
Comment: This will be retested and fully played through soon (October 9). If you have problems in the meantime, see this post. (Thanks to keithinhanoi and Kasperg.)

Ravenholm
Bugs: Cannot turn or look around.
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppID to 215. Copy \bin folder from half-life 2 content.gcf from Download Link in post #1. (Thanks to SilverMink for the fix.)
Comment: NPC-scripts work fine. (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.)

Reaction
Comment: This worked fine as far as I tested. In my first play-through (pre-update), I got to a platforming section and stopped. Everything up to that point seems fine now.

Rebellion
Bugs: Got Engine error AD_Alloc: no free edicts during "Breen" character script. Added num_edicts 2047 as launch option and still got error.
Comment: In gameinfo.txt, needed to change SteamAppID to 215 and add Game sourcetest at end of SearchPaths. This allowed the mod to start, but did nothing for the Engine error.

Research and Development

Residual Error: City 34 - Volume 1
Fixes: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppId to 215; add "Game sourcetest" at end of SearchPaths. Also copied HL2\scenes to the mod's scenes folder (no files are overwritten).
Comment: Mod will run without the HL2\scenes folder, but without it you'll miss the Breencast, and miscellaneous comments by rebels near the beginning.

Riot Act

The Road to Abyss
Bug: Could not get this to run - got "the memory could not be read" error. I was able to play this mod earlier this year and there have been no changes in my system since then.
Comment: I installed mod, extracted scenes folder from HL2 content.gcf, reinstalled mod, changed AppID to 215, and added sourcetest to SearchPaths.

Rock 24
Fix: Unofficial patch available. (Thanks to SilverMink for the patch.)
Additional Fix Info: Extract the zip files contents to a temporary location. Navigate through the folder Rock 24 fix v3 until you get to the level with the file gameinfo.txt, and the folders \bin and \scenes. Move or copy all those to the mod's directory (Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\Rock 24)--overwrite any files.
Comment: During the second gunship battle in the first map, I had three 90-second loads. The mod seems to lock up, but it does not.

School Adventures
Comment: Works fine with fixes. Had to add "Game sourcetest" below "Game hl2" in the SearchPaths section of gameinfo.txt.

Seizure of Power
Comment: Information pending. (Thanks to CatzEyes93 and ikar for this info.)

Sewers
Comment: No fix needed.

Shantytown
Fix: Change SteamAppId in gameinfo.txt to 215.

Shooting Range
Comment: Did get HL2 error message upon exiting.

Siren

Sity
Bug: Water texture below surface is missing.

Slums
Fix: Changed SteamAppId to 215.
Comment: Menu text seems to flicker. Otherwise, mod seems to run fine.

Slums 2

Slums 2 Extended
Fix: No fix needed. (Thanks to Zekiran for this info.)

SMOD
Bugs: Missing weapons.
Fix: Patches for SMOD: Tactical Delta 5.56, SMOD 40a, SMOD Redux version 8. Extract the HL2 maps also. Other patches may be available at moddb (original post for moddb info). (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.) Patch for SMOD 2. (This is the full mod, not just a patch.) (Thanks to DirectVic for the link, and to LambdaCore21/PoisonZombie21337 for the patch.)
Comment: The August 17 update caused more problems for SMOD Redux. If you haven't already, take the second download link in post #1 (half-life 2 content.gcf\maps) and extract to the SMOD\maps folder. Delete your save games from before the update. (Thanks to Stu Alpha for this info.)
Additional Patch Links: SMOD Tactical Delta 5.56 - download from Filefront, download from ultradude25's mirror
SMOD 4.0a - new version available (Thanks to phillipjfry6 for this info.)

Sniperville

Socialist Tension
Bugs: Title font missing from main menu (don't remember if this happened before the update). One of the CPs you encounter after Barney goes into and out of reference pose.

Stay Alive

Strider Mountain
Comment: Works fine. The only fix I used was to extract the scenes folder from half-life 2 content.gcf. (It may work without that step.)

Substance
Fix: In gameinfo.txt, change SteamAppID to 215.
Comment: After changing the AppID, the NPCs showed up but the AI was disabled. Entering ai_disable in the console fixed that problem.
Additional Comment: From comments at moddb, there may be map load problems. I am not going to play this mod any further right now to try to duplicate the problem. If you have any information about this, please post.

Surgical Strike
Comment: First map lagged badly for me when the action started, but it didn't crash as it did pre-update. Occasional crashes in later maps. I think I'm near the end, but if it continues to crash I won't be finishing it. (I'm going to attribute it to my lame graphics card.)

Survival 101

Team 7plus1
Bugs: Even after changes made below, cannot get past the first area. The guard on the other side of the door just stands there, looking around. (I think he's supposed to open the door and come after you?)
Fixes: Change SteamAppId to 215; added sourcetest to SearchPaths.

Too Many Crates

Unexpected Conclusion
Comment: Seems to work fine without fixes.

Very Hard Mod

Weekday Warrior
Fix: Works fine with HL2 fixes. (Thanks to pizzahut for this info.)

Wivenhoe
Comment: Works fine with HL2 fixes.

Zombie Escape

Zombie Stress

Last edited by gorpie: 02-27-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Updated link for SilverMink's patch for Minerva
Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
gorpie

reserved

Last edited by gorpie: 03-09-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
ThatoneJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
Well, I haven't tried it on anything yet.

Just finished HL1 yesterday and am finally playing Portal for the radio achievement now...
Ive heard its hard to get those.
ThatoneJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatoneJeff View Post
So far they haven't been too bad, but I'm only on chamber 12.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
gorpie

Updated OP with new info from pizzahut.

(Apologies for my not playing with this stuff yet, or checking on updates. I'll be more available for that when more bugs are fixed.)
Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatoneJeff View Post
Some were a pain, some were annoying, but they were generally simple (which is different from easy). And VALVe did their normal excellent job in providing multiple ways to do at least a couple of them... I also used quicksave a lot...
Old 06-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
Updated OP with new info from pizzahut.
This is only needed if the mod uses the original HL2 single player maps.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
This is only needed if the mod uses the original HL2 single player maps.
Fixed the OP. (Sent you a PM, btw. )
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
pizzahut

It seems that if you do a fresh install of Steam and HL2, parts of the original "half-life 2 content.gcf" are now missing. Thanks to kandrc and Vonje for pointing this out.

Can I get the whole of half-life 2 content.gcf?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
It seems that if you do a fresh install of Steam and HL2, parts of the original "half-life 2 content.gcf" are now missing. Thanks to kandrc and Vonje for pointing this out.

Can I get the whole of half-life 2 content.gcf?
So, people who installed HL2 before the update might have fewer problems running mods than people who just installed?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
pizzahut

Updated maps and scenes are located in "half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf". On a fresh Half-Life 2 install, exactly these maps and scenes are missing from "half-life 2 content.gcf".

So this means people with an old HL2 install can just use "half-life 2 content.gcf" to get maps and/or scenes as suggested on PlanetPhillip.

But people with a fresh HL2 install will have to go with "half-life 2 2007 base content.gcf" for the scenes, and with both GCFs for the maps. I don't know though if the 2007 content works with old mods!

Last edited by pizzahut: 06-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
pizzahut

I've tested the 2007 maps, they look messed up when using (old) Source SDK Base.

Edit: Tested scenes now, too. It worked with Penetration.

So with a fresh HL2 install, some of the original HL2 single player maps will either be missing (if you ignore the 2007 update) or messed up (if you choose to add the maps that are in the 2007 gcf).

At least some scenes in the 2007 gcf are usable, but it could be that not all of them are.

Last edited by pizzahut: 06-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
gorpie

Well, so far I've found that Mission Improbable works fine. I also briefly loaded Transitions, and didn't have any problems but didn't check thoroughly. Great contributions, doncha think?

I haven't tried to do any methodical testing.

I wonder if it also might have to do with your setup. What's a "bad looking" mod I can check? My gpu is hardware level DX8, software level DX9.

Maybe never mind with telling me a "bad looking" mod. Not only is my hardware older, I've got an older install.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2 / Source Third-Party Mods