Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Europa Universalis series

Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
austerus

Europa Universalis III doesn't start on Windows 7

Hi,

I just got EU III and the first time I tried to start the game, it just didn't start. I just get a box with "Preparing to launch Europa Universalis III" which dissapears in a few seconds, then nothing.

I'm running latest Steam on Windows 7.

Anyone else had the same issues?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
themagicbob

I'm having the same problem. I just installed win 7 so all my drivers are up to date.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
frags1981

Can you launch the game manually? Go to your steam folder/steamapss/common then find you EU3 folder. Launch EU3.exe.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
sippy cup

instead of having steam start automatically, pin the exe to the start menu. When you launch steam, right ckick on the start menu icon and select "run as administrator". I found this to solve many steam issues on windows 7 and vista.
sippy cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
violent_one

Mine does this as well. The odd thing is I have windows 7 on my laptop and it works perfectly. It says this when I try to launch the game manually. "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program."
violent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
picqua

Had the same problem happen when I installed it on my new laptop. Downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Microsoft fixed the problem. Give it a shot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
violent_one

fix't. Thank you thank you thank you picqua. It worked.

Edit: Yea it started up... now it crashes in game about 1-2 minutes in. So still unplayable

Last edited by violent_one: 06-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.
violent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
zadok213

I have the same problem... Ill try that DirectX download though.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
zadok213

Violent_One: if its crashing during the tutorial that's ok. Steams version isn't reliable, but the game itself should work fine. Is that the issue?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Wolff117

Quote:
Originally Posted by picqua View Post
Had the same problem happen when I installed it on my new laptop. Downloading the latest DirectX redistributable from Microsoft fixed the problem. Give it a shot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
I had to reformat my comp. and couldn't figure out why my game wasn't working. Thankyou for this, it worked.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Kris_xK

I've had a similar problem to this, but was eventually able to get EU3 to load.

I say similar because I was originally able to get EU3 to load, so I changed it's default resolution to my monitor's native and restarted the game, only was no longer able to reload.

Running the DX update didnt work, nor did running as Admin. Of course, editing the settings.txt file in the EU3 install dir and dumping down the resolution (from 1920x1080 to 1280x720) was successful and allowed the game to load...

Only now all the flags are black.

Wonderful.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Wronglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_xK View Post

Only now all the flags are black.

Wonderful.
Rename flagfiles.dds in gfx\flags\, the game should regenerate it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Rémi

I think the game's not 64-compatible, tried all of those things above, but no change, starts up with a white screen, then windows says "stopped working, looking for solution" and that's it.
Rémi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
nudge

Fix above worked perfectly, a big help!
nudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
KarlMonster

Remi, x64 CPUs actually use the same extended instruction set that the last true x86 processors did. x64 CPU systems should run a majority of x86 software without problems.

As for me, I am also running Win 7 Professional. My DX9c is up to date, and my video drivers are recent (but ASUS isn't as prompt at issuing drivers as they could be). I saw the still images while the game was loading and setting up maps, but then the '...has stopped working' message.

Verifying game files and applying the resolution fix helped me a little. The lines in settings.txt that said

size={
x=1280
y=960
}

I changed to 1152 and 864 - which is my native desktop. [I prefer to play games at 1280x1024, but lets get the game to work first, eh?] With those changes to settings.txt, I got a little farther. Now a menu screen is displayed for about a second before I get the old "... has stopped working" message.

+ rep to Kris above for mentioning the resolution fix. Thanks man.

I ran the eu3game.exe as administrator and the menu stayed - until I clicked on Single Player. Bah! Humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox__rep View Post
Crashes when you click stuff are usually due to the driver for the graphics card. Try to update that first and see id it makes any difference.
Huh. Can you suggest what minority click-crash issues are?

Last edited by KarlMonster: 12-31-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: continues testing
KarlMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Europa Universalis series