Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare

Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Red Squirrel

Exclamation Level Hacked to 70 on a Server? What to do now...

I'm making this thread hopefully with the view to making it a sticky since there are threads about MW2 level hacked created daily and when I personally got hacked and level unlocked yesterday, it took some time to find the correct information.

1.0 Forewarned is Forearmed

1.1 OMG I'm hacked, will I get banned?

The short answer is NO, the long answer is NO. At the present time you will not get banned for anything a hacked server does to your rank or config so relax about that and let's try and get a solution for you ...

1.2 Realised you're in a hacked server?

As posted today by MenInBlu, if you realise you're on a hacked server, immediately do the following steps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenInBlu View Post

Now, theres been a lot of threads about backing up your profile and what not to save your level, but that just takes a slight amount of effort and time. However with this way, you can get your level back instantly and without any hastle..
  • Are you in a hacked server and are now level 70?
  • Do not exit the server.
  • Ctrl + Alt + Delete
  • Task manager > Processes Tab
  • Select iw4mp.exe , and click End Process.
  • MW2 should exit immediately.

This forces the game to shut down without syncing or saving your rank on your profile. When you relaunch the game, it asks to start in safe mode, select no as it will just mess up all your graphic settings to the lowest.

Hope this has been helpful and not too redundant.

1.3 It always pays to have a backup plan ...

donutdan4114 has made an excellent MW2 Configuration Utility that also includes a backup facility. As per this thread: Link.

I'll list the manual method here too:
  • Create a folder somewhere you'll remember (e.g. My Documents)
  • Navigate to the root Steam directory (either C:\Program Files\Steam (for 32 bit) or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam (for 64 bit))
  • Go to userdata > (random number) folder
  • In the random number folder you'll see more numbered folders, these represent different games you own. 10190 is MW2.
  • Copy & Paste the 10190 folder into the new folder you've made.
  • Go back to the root Steam directory
  • Go to steamapps > common > call of duty modern warfare 2
  • In the MW2 folder you will see a folder called players
  • Copy & Paste the players folder into the new folder you've made.

You now have a backup of your level and unlocks. Depending on how up to date you want your backup to be you might want to do the above steps every day or after every session.

To restore your original level from a backup:
  • rename, move or delete the 10190 and players folders in their respective Steam directories mentioned above.
  • Copy & Paste the backup folders of 10190 and players you made in the new folder back into the correct places.
  • Run Modern Warfare 2 and play a multiplayer game all the way through. Once the game completes and you're back at the lobby, exit Modern Warfare 2.
  • MW2 will sync your new reset rank to the cloud and hopefully it should stay

2.0 It's too late !

2.1 It's never too late ! (shadow copies)

So the above two methods in the first section would have been handy had you know about malicious servers in the first place, right? But you've already been on a level hacked server and closed MW2 as soon as you realised, but you closed it properly allowing it to sync and now you're stuck at level 70 ?

There might be hope yet ...

From Windows XP SP2 onwards hopefully your computer will have been making shadow copies of your files. These are snapshots of your computer at specific times. You know when you were hacked and your level messed up so we need a version of the folder before that happened. In my case it was a day before so I lost a whole day of XP - at least that was better than restarting from 1 !

To see if you can restore from a shadow copy:
  • Exit Steam
  • Create a folder somewhere you'll remember (e.g. My Documents)
  • Navigate to the root Steam directory (either C:\Program Files\Steam (for 32 bit) or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam (for 64 bit))
  • Go to userdata > (random number) folder
  • In the random number folder you'll see more numbered folders, these represent different games you own. 10190 is MW2.
  • Right click the 10190 folder and go to Properties then the Previous Versions tab
  • This is an example picture of properties box: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ions_Vista.png
  • In the previous version tab, select a folder from a time before you were hacked, then Copy... that version to the new folder you made in My Documents
  • Go to steamapps > common > call of duty modern warfare 2
  • In the MW2 folder you will see a folder called players
  • Right click the players folder and go to Properties then the Previous Versions tab
  • In the previous version tab, select a folder from a time before you were hacked, then Copy... that version to the new folder you made in My Documents.
  • Rename, move or delete the 10190 and players folders in their respective Steam directories mentioned above.
  • Copy & Paste the copied folders of 10190 and players you made in the new folder back into the correct places.
  • Run Modern Warfare 2 and play a multiplayer game all the way through. Once the game completes and you're back at the lobby, exit Modern Warfare 2.

The above steps should restore your level to whenever the last version of the folder was made, before you got level hacked.

2.2 We need to fall back, .STAT !

If the shadow copy method has not worked, there is one more method we can try. Usually shadow copies are not available if you're still using XP or the drive you have Steam installed on differs from your OS drive and thus does not have system volume protection turned on by default.

This method was originally posted in this thread. And is in fact the official Steam Support method.
  • Exit Steam
  • Go to steamapps > common > call of duty modern warfare 2 > players
  • The multiplayer profile is updated regularly as a .stat file and also includes a backup .bak file.
  • All original profile files begin with md202ef8d and backup files will begin with md202ef8d.bak
  • Locate the profile and backup .stat files with the most recent Date Modified listed in Windows
  • Move the profile .stat file to a new location (Creating a new folder and placing it here should be fine)
  • Rename the backup .stat file and remove the .bak from the filename
  • Launch Steam and re-test MW2.
  • If your rank is still not restored, repeat the above process going back through the profile .stat and bak .stat files based on Date Modified until you have loaded one with your original profile on.

2.3 Reset me anyway

If the shadow copy fails to work, you may want to reset your profile anyway. This will reset it right down to Rank 1 (no prestige), it will be as if you bought the game yesterday. To do this, do the following steps:
  • Ensure Steam is running
  • Delete, move or rename ALL of the .stat files.
  • Go to userdata > (random number) folder > 10190 > remote
  • Delete, move or rename ALL of the files in the remote folder

This method was posted by Looser on Page 6 of this thread.

3.0 Further Reading & Misc.

3.1 Config Issues (crazy map size etc.)

Sometimes a malicious result of joining a hacked server is the mini map changes and becomes massive. It can also corrupt text and classes. This is due to the host changing settings in your config_mp.cfg MW2 configuration file. To restore settings back to default, do the following:
  • Delete, move or rename the config_mp.cfg file.
  • Launch MW2 and confirm everything is back to normal, you may have to manually reset some settings.

To be extra sure, you may want to verify the game files as well; this is done as follows:
  • In the Steam Library, Right Click on MW2, then click Properties
  • Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
  • Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
  • Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

3.2 donutdan4114's Modern Warfare 2 Configuration Utility

donutdan4114's Original Thread

A very handy tool that changes a lot of hidden settings not found in the in-game Options menu. Also has a backup facility to easily manage your profile in case disaster strikes. Some of the features are as follows:
  • Change the number of ping bars
  • Change the number of chat lines
  • Change how long the chat stays visible for
  • Change the sensitivity of the ping bars
  • Edit your ping bar colours
  • Change advanced mouse settings
  • Create custom control profiles for you and your friends
  • Enable/Disable several graphics settings that you can't change in-game
  • Create backups & restore important MW2 files
  • Enable/Disable music
  • And so much more!!!

If none of the above methods work and you want an automated way to reset everything, do the following steps:
  • Go to http://www.mw2config.com
  • Download the program ^
  • On the Advanced Tab, click the Reset Defaults button.
  • Enjoy having everything fixed. Although you will have to redo your graphics/control settings, because everything will be default.

3.3 Issus_C's Index thread of useful links

Issus has been watching over the MW2 forums for a while and has compiled a big index of thread links covering common issues:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...php?p=14847420

~

And thus concludes my guide. Comments/suggestions welcome and if you read all of that you get a: .

Last edited by Red Squirrel: 08-04-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Updating with new info
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Vodnik555

Right click the 10190 folder and go to Properties then the Previous Versions tab

I dont have that tab ?!

is there another way?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Croben

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodnik555 View Post
Right click the 10190 folder and go to Properties then the Previous Versions tab

I dont have that tab ?!

is there another way?
You on Vista/7 or XP? i think it only on Vista and 7.

Oh, and OP: Thanks for Compiling this. This needs to be stickied. BADLY!

Last edited by Croben: 06-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Croben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Teh Caek

Another thing you could do to restore old files.
Should work if you are sync'd, it should ask if you want to use Steam copy or your copy.

1. Make a System Restoration from before you got hacked.
2. When starting MW2 again, it should ask you if you want to use Sync'd file or local file. Select local.
3. Should be reverted.

Im not 100% on this though, but it SHOULD work.
Teh Caek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Vodnik555

Smile

[QUOTE=Teh Caek;15331100]Another thing you could do to restore old files.
Should work if you are sync'd, it should ask if you want to use Steam copy or your copy.

1. Make a System Restoration from before you got hacked.
2. When starting MW2 again, it should ask you if you want to use Sync'd file or local file. Select local.
3. Should be reverted.

They didnt ask if i wanted to sync or local, other suggestions?

Last edited by Vodnik555: 06-08-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
winterchriz

Hello,

i got hacked also on a server.
But i had also another problem, had to deal with lags so i reinstalled mw2. But im still lvl 70. Can i still restore my old 55 ranking, when i reinstalled the game after being hacked? -.-

thanks
winterchriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Red Squirrel

Firstly, if you have Steam installed on a hard drive or partition other than where Windows is installed (usually C:\) system protection might not be turned on for that drive, so you will not see any previous versions unfortunately. So in this case you can either accept level 70 or start from level 1

Secondly, winterchriz, you may be able to restore your level 55. Have you tried the shadow copy method in section 2.1 ?
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
MUNKY.

should sticky this to stop all the multiple threads
MUNKY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
winterchriz

The problem is, i cannot select any previous version >_>
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Plasma-Jet

can one get banned for this?
can one get banned for playing on hacked server?
there are some that show it right away others are more discreet about it.

any info??
Plasma-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
SlackerUK

Ah you star, many thanks for this - managed to get back to level 45 after some knob hacked me up to 70. Absolute lifesafer mate, thanks again !
SlackerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Issus_C

There's also this page which has extra links for resetting & protecting your profile. As well as protecting and editing your config file:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...0#post14847420
Issus_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
BThadium

Thanks a lot for your post, Red Squirrel.

I just got stuck in one of those modded server and I was really annoyed to get banned of such a useless thing.

Unfortunately, your "first" solution doesn't work for me, I don't know why. And, I think any reader will understand me, I don't want to simply start it again...

However, thanks a lot, again, for your post, it is very reassuring for peoples who get into this ... "lol-players" (In French, we call them "kikoolol" players) modded servers. After realizing this, I, like other players, thought "Will I get banned for something I didn't made?".

Just a simple thing: Can you add a little line on the top of your post to tell that the victim wont get banned ? (for everything I read about it, it isn't a "banable offense" for the victim)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Chronisch

The solutions dont work for me either.
Went from Prestige 3 lvl 40 to Prestige 3 lvl 70.
(just 10min ago)

Its sucks. But I'm not going to start from lvl 1 all over again.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
winterchriz

So is there a way for me?

1. I already reinstalled the game so i don't have any previous versions on my pc / files.
2. I have no system restoration point active so this option is not available for me :/ (Just turned it on now lol)

Please, help me. Or i have to play from now Prestige Level 1 -.-

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare