Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Dager1911

Question Steam Gift Cards!?

What do you guys think about Steam Gift cards, that way you dont have to worry about putting your credit card in, and other people can get them for you.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
d10sfan

You can buy prepaid gift debit cards and use them on steam. You can also use Paypal if you are worried about Valve stealing your credit card information (they wont).
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
nano....

Ehhh, if you're going to buy a physical gift card for Steam you may as well cut the middle man and just buy the physical version.
nano.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Dager1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10sfan View Post
You can buy prepaid gift debit cards and use them on steam. You can also use Paypal if you are worried about Valve stealing your credit card information (they wont).
so if i hav one of those visa gift cards, i can use it and not worry about the billing address?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
lionaire

i like this idea. that way you could gift someone like 20 bucks and they could buy a game that they like. no need to worry about buying the wrong title. i would ask for it for my birthday i think.
lionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
ardipithecus11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaire View Post
i like this idea. that way you could gift someone like 20 bucks and they could buy a game that they like. no need to worry about buying the wrong title. i would ask for it for my birthday i think.
And not everything on steam is on retail, or not anymore.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
DarkRepublica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardipithecus11 View Post
And not everything on steam is on retail, or not anymore.
for example, i cannot for the life of me find a retail copy of killing floor.

i would applaud the use of steam gift cards, literally.
well, that is, as long as i could get them in new zealand, anyway.

i dig myself a debt with credit cards, therefor, i don't use them anymore. that was the worst four months of my life.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
GirlPower23

You could just ask a friend what game they'd like and gift it that way. You could buy Pre-Paid Debit Cards.. You could give your friend your debit card and say buy whatever game you want. Seems like a novel idea, however with the "Gift" Feature already in steam, it takes a simple question or gesture like "Pick any game you want on the steam selection"
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
bobthedeadly

Actually, I think this is a good idea. I hate using my credit card because I'm not very good at staying within my limits. Those stupid prepaid debit cards cost 5 bucks more than the amount that is on the card, and I don't want to add 5 dollars to the cost of every game I want to buy. Steam gift cards would be awesome. And I could buy them for my friends, so they could buy themselves a game they actually want, because I've gifted people games they don't really want before...
bobthedeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
analogfantasies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedeadly View Post
Actually, I think this is a good idea. I hate using my credit card because I'm not very good at staying within my limits. Those stupid prepaid debit cards cost 5 bucks more than the amount that is on the card, and I don't want to add 5 dollars to the cost of every game I want to buy. Steam gift cards would be awesome. And I could buy them for my friends, so they could buy themselves a game they actually want, because I've gifted people games they don't really want before...
Gift cards usually cost a bit more than the dollar amount on the card, so you're not really getting any savings one way or another.

I agree that a steam gift card would be nice, but a prepaid visa works just as well.
analogfantasies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
irbeginner

the reason why gift cards are slightly more than the dollar amount is because of the tax added on. Usually on Itunes, Amazon, and the like, you're only charged tax depending on the billing adress. In fact, taxes are only applied in a finacial transactions which doesn't apply to using a gift card for a purchase (A gift card is only redeemable) In the case of a prepaid visa, you are making a payment to Visa. Later on, when the recipient of the prepaid visa makes a purchase, let's say at starbucks, The proprietors of that card have to make a payment to starbucks.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam