Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
mekilgore

Buying no more Steam games until legacy support

Come this September, you will no longer be able to run Steam on Windows 2000.

To play most of the games sold on Steam requires running the Steam client application. If you cannot run the Steam client application you cannot run Steam games. When starting Steam under Windows 2000, the application warns you that in order to continue to play Steam games you will need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows

Big deal, you say? Who still runs Windows 2000, anyways? Whichever Steam games currently run under Windows 2000 will run under Windows XP!

Where it might be universally true that Steam games that run on Windows 2000 will run on Windows XP, it is not universally true that Steam games that run on Windows XP will run on Windows Vista or Windows 7.

What happens, I ask, when Valve decides to end support for Windows XP shortly after Microsoft does, just as they are doing for Windows 2000? And there is no doubt in my mind that they will certainly do so. How are you going to play those games that only run under Windows XP?

Do video games have shelf lives? Should they have expiration dates? Consider a retail version of any game sold on Steam.
  1. You have indefinite access to the installation files.
  2. You can continue to play the game indefinitely.
  3. You don't require either client software or an internet connection to play your game.
  4. If capatible, you can install and play the game in Linux.

This is especially true of older retail games, many of which are sold on Steam, since these games don't require any form of activation. However, even in the case of retail games that require some form of activation, routine and proper system backups will ensure indefinite use.

Eventually, the hardware in that old computer will break and you will be left with no choice but to upgrade, but this senario is entirely different from that which Valve is forcing on Windows 2000 users. There cannot be any justification for Valve's decision to deny customers access to the games they currently play on Windows 2000.

Until Steam offers a client application designed for "legacy" operating systems running "legacy" games, I will no longer buy games from Steam. Instead, to ensure I can continue to play the games I purchase indefinitely, I will either buy retail box or downloadable games from other online sources (as I've long been doing). By purchasing my games from any of these other sources, I won't have to worry about losing my right or privilege to play these games on whichever operating system I choose, for how ever long I choose to do so. Its a choice I make, not a choice I will allow Valve to make. Valve's decision here is unethical and puts into doubt the long-term useability of the products it sells on Steam.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Cedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilgore View Post
Source? I just googled "steam windows 2000 september" and found nothing stating this.
Cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
mouton

Well, that's the greatness of Steam for you. All hangs on the client.

But I don't think it will happen as you say - Win2000 is an entirely different animal than WinXP. I will bet my shoes that XP will be supported much much longer.
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Xcessive6

Quote:
On April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will be terminated.
(Source)

It's not as bad as you describe it. 4 full years for a operating system that will be 13 years by then. Technology moves on, like everyone does. Yes, sometimes you won't be able to fire up your game, but there are solution for 95% of that games. Compatiblity mode, patches, etc.

Valve's decision here is understandable. W2k support has ended for a 9 year old OS. Microsoft won't assist on a problem and extra coding for a problem isn't simply worth it.

Either I smell troll here, or a very bitter person. Yes, you can sit there with your old technology, but then take the disadvantages.
Xcessive6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge View Post
Source? I just googled "steam windows 2000 september" and found nothing stating this.
Windows 2000 isn't a currently supported platform, so the OP appears to have problems reading.

Regardless, there are other choices of distribution platform available for people on the trailing edge of technology.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
paratech2008

Found this through google

"In an unprecedented move, Microsoft has committed to providing support services for its soon to be retired Windows XP through 2014 -- a full 13 years after the operating system was originally released.

In a letter sent to customers this week, Microsoft senior VP Bill Veghte said the software maker will provide security patches "and other critical updates" for Windows XP until April, 2014. "
paratech2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
I have old retail games (over 10 years old) that will not run on Vista or 7. OS like other things get upgraded every few years. get use to it. That is a part of computer life now.

Yes one day Windows 7 will be outdated. And my guess is in 3 years.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Time moves on and so do OSs. Here is an example:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6311-YPSD-1357

If you don't want to buy new games, that is your decision. If you don't want to upgrade your OS, that is also your decision. Software engines change and the hardware required to run that engine change all the time.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
L.o.D.

Quote:
It's not supported now.

Quote:
it is not universally true that Steam games that run on Windows XP will run on Windows Vista or Windows 7.
But there are usually workarounds, such as the case with MidnightRun 2. Works fine on Win7.

Quote:
How are you going to play those games that only run under Windows XP?
Some will work without any tweaking, some will need a workaround.

Quote:
There cannot be any justification for Valve's decision to deny customers access to the games they currently play on Windows 2000.
Sure there is. It's called progress. What about when Valve drops support for Vista/Win7? Then what? Are you still going to complain that your win2000 is not supported?

Quote:
Valve's decision here is unethical and puts into doubt the long-term useability of the products it sells on Steam.
There's also going to be other software developers that won't support it. What are you going to do about that?
Maybe you should stop buying games for awhile & save up for a better OS.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
exa

You might be able to run then under xp and > with compatibility mode, or you can look on google for gcfscape that will allow you to extract your games from gcf and use them without steam ( but without the net )
Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Matt

Volunteer Moderator - I was on TV!
I guess someone won't be buying anymore games.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
chopstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
I have old retail games (over 10 years old) that will not run on Vista or 7. OS like other things get upgraded every few years. get use to it. That is a part of computer life now.

I think people here are missing the point the OP is trying to make. Yes, software gets upgraded over time and people have to adapt. However, the consumer generally has a choice in the matter. If he/she refuses to upgrade, so that they can still access older games, that is their choice.

The problem is, what happens when the Steam client begins to stop supporting older versions of Windows? Many games do not work in Windows 7. So if Valve stops supporting XP down the road, you can expect many of these games to be lost. Is that acceptable? Should Valve be allowed to forbid you from playing older titles by restricting OS support? Of course, it is their company and they can do what they want, but I believe that is what the OP is getting at.

Personally, this is one of the reasons I purchase older titles at GOG, and use Steam only for Steamworks titles anymore.
chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
L.o.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstix View Post
If he/she refuses to upgrade, so that they can still access older games, that is their choice.
Then buy a copy of said older game that doesn't use steam in the first place.
Problem solved.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
paratech2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post

Huh? I posted right above you that Windows XP will get supported until 2014? Why would Windows 7 be dropped BEFORE XP?
paratech2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Snickersnack

Quote:
Until Steam offers a client application designed for "legacy" operating systems running "legacy" games, I will no longer buy games from Steam. Instead, to ensure I can continue to play the games I purchase indefinitely, I will either buy retail box or downloadable games from other online sources (as I've long been doing). By purchasing my games from any of these other sources, I won't have to worry about losing my right or privilege to play these games on whichever operating system I choose, for how ever long I choose to do so. Its a choice I make, not a choice I will allow Valve to make. Valve's decision here is unethical and puts into doubt the long-term useability of the products it sells on Steam.

All programs suffer from bitrot. If they are not actively maintained, they will eventually be unusable on modern hardware.

If this is a real concern, you may wish to limit your game purchases to those that offer full source code. I'm afraid you'll find the variety quite limited, however.
Snickersnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion