Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #31
Mangr0v3
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 4313
Posts: 13,608
And I never said you were "duh"ing me.

Duh.
Mangr0v3 is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #32
Detry322
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 84
Posts: 63
I SMELL A FLAME WAR!

OH NOES!!!!!!
Detry322 is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #33
Ntt4
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 72
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
And I never said you were "duh"ing me.

Duh.
The way I read it. It came across as though I was "duh"ing you.
Lol. I'm going to bed, my brain needs rest. Especially with exams soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detry322 View Post
I SMELL A FLAME WAR!

OH NOES!!!!!!
You can't smell fire
You can smell stuff burning though.
Ntt4 is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #34
Mangr0v3
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 4313
Posts: 13,608
*starts singing "We didn't start the flame war"*
Mangr0v3 is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
09rmbrown
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
You realize your post is ridiculous OP. Y^our taking the tiny Mac sample size and comparing it to the vastly larger PC sample size. Your basically comparing the United States to Japan. Yep Japan has lower Crime rate, however the united states is bigger. Compare Just New York and Japan and you have a very similar sample size, aswell as crime rate. You can try to brag all you wan't however let me know when you hit 300fps in Portal, and then we can talk.

P.S. 8% Mac users and 92% PC users on Steam. Yep you did such a fair comparison. How about you compare the top 8% PC Users vs the 8% Mac users.

Im confused as to why you think it is unfair?? What is the real world market share... almost IDENTICAL 6%-7% mac rest PC 1% linux

This is a higher volume of mac's (8%) but still holds the ratio of PC's to macs in the world.

this survey contains over 200,000 macs.........

and getting 300 fps in portal is an absolute waste I hope that was a joke. Your monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz, so 61 fps 6,000 fps and 60 fps are the same thing. So hey, let's talk

Edit; the only "unfair" part I can see is you saying compare the top PC's to the macs..... all the macs averaged beat the average pc, simple, it's plain survey facts. There is nothing to argue here.

Last edited by 09rmbrown: 06-08-2010 at 07:36 PM.
09rmbrown is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #36
09rmbrown
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nano.... View Post
My rebuttal, in red.

Please also consider the previously mentioned sample size when considering Mac v PC, also how the variation in PC hardware is rather large, wheres Macs are limited.
Here is what you added to mine

"Mac
-Faster CPU Most enthusiasts beg to differ - Steam survey, average mac CPU is faster. I don't care what enthusiasts say?
-More RAM Generalisation - Again, survey says...... Mac average 4 GB, PC 2GB
-Faster Internet Speeds Nothing to do with a Mac - No, but it's just something that happens to be true.
-A OS that isn't a decade old or 32 bit... Previously mentioned, generalisation. 7 is a very good 64bit OS - 7 is cool, but not the most common OS, decade old XP is.
-A microphone True.
{The survey for mac seems to not have all the things it does for PC (yet)}

PC
-More vram (negligible) But it's dedicated, usually.-As is mac vram
-Windows Xp....lol! Generalisation.- NO survey
-ummmm add below?"

My additions in blue
09rmbrown is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #37
Schwei
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
STFU!!!!

GOD DAMN IT! stop posting on this stupid Mac v. PC and GO PLAY! all of you are all idiots, doesn't matter who's the best, doesn't matter who has the better hardware, doesn't matter who get's the higher FPS. 32+ fps is good, the human eye can only interpret about 30 frames per second, so any hardware that gives you 80 fps is nice and fluid and you will never see a single jerk, but guess what geniuses that's about an extra 45fps that are absolutely useless, but you still payed the extra $130 for it. both machines have their pro's and cons, I own both, and they both SUCK in their own unique ways, My piece of MBP can't be upgraded to a better processor because that is soldered in there, i have a Vaio VPC-Z116GX/S that has HDMI, SD port, Blue ray, LED screen, man this thing is beautiful, and I have Norton anti everything whatever, guess what?! connected my external hard drive I've owned for a while, and a file was infected scanned it and deleted the thing, or so I thought, gave me something terrible and I had to wipe everything. OMG!!! and this piece of crap was brand new. anyway STFU! both machines are awesome, both machines suck, I'm just happy I can do my graphics on the MBP, and I can play so I'm not bored off my @$$ when I'm uploading this for my boss. anyway there's my rant, just stop it, ok STOP IT. this is how WWII tarted, and it's how angry PC people turn to make viruses. good day gentlemen.
 
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
09rmbrown
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwei View Post
GOD DAMN IT! stop posting on this stupid Mac v. PC and GO PLAY! all of you are all idiots, doesn't matter who's the best, doesn't matter who has the better hardware, doesn't matter who get's the higher FPS. 32+ fps is good, the human eye can only interpret about 30 frames per second, so any hardware that gives you 80 fps is nice and fluid and you will never see a single jerk, but guess what geniuses that's about an extra 45fps that are absolutely useless, but you still payed the extra $130 for it. both machines have their pro's and cons, I own both, and they both SUCK in their own unique ways, My piece of MBP can't be upgraded to a better processor because that is soldered in there, i have a Vaio VPC-Z116GX/S that has HDMI, SD port, Blue ray, LED screen, man this thing is beautiful, and I have Norton anti everything whatever, guess what?! connected my external hard drive I've owned for a while, and a file was infected scanned it and deleted the thing, or so I thought, gave me something terrible and I had to wipe everything. OMG!!! and this piece of crap was brand new. anyway STFU! both machines are awesome, both machines suck, I'm just happy I can do my graphics on the MBP, and I can play so I'm not bored off my @$$ when I'm uploading this for my boss. anyway there's my rant, just stop it, ok STOP IT. this is how WWII tarted, and it's how angry PC people turn to make viruses. good day gentlemen.
well....... ok
BUT THAT 30 FPS THING IS WRONG, YOU CAN CLEARLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 30 AND 60!

thanks
09rmbrown is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #39
eyefork
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 279
Posts: 1,175
My PC could easily crush your little dusty mac mini. Maybe I'll donate a mouse with right click afterwards
eyefork is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
rike889
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 10
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefork View Post
My PC could easily crush your little dusty mac mini. Maybe I'll donate a mouse with right click afterwards
nice one bro
(i am aware of the double finger click or hold control option)
rike889 is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #41
09rmbrown
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefork View Post
My PC could easily crush your little dusty mac mini. Maybe I'll donate a mouse with right click afterwards
lol i love jokes
09rmbrown is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #42
ardipithecus11
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefork View Post
My PC could easily crush your little dusty mac mini. Maybe I'll donate a mouse with right click afterwards
I thought double click jokes were deemed irrelevant since
multi-touch?

Guess he was too busy crushing Mac Minis and 5 year old children with his big Full Tower PC to read the memo.
 
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #43
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8512
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rmbrown View Post
Im confused as to why you think it is unfair?? What is the real world market share... almost IDENTICAL 6%-7% mac rest PC 1% linux

This is a higher volume of mac's (8%) but still holds the ratio of PC's to macs in the world.

this survey contains over 200,000 macs.........

and getting 300 fps in portal is an absolute waste I hope that was a joke. Your monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz, so 61 fps 6,000 fps and 60 fps are the same thing. So hey, let's talk

Edit; the only "unfair" part I can see is you saying compare the top PC's to the macs..... all the macs averaged beat the average pc, simple, it's plain survey facts. There is nothing to argue here.
No my monitor doesn't get 60hz it's higher thanks. However samples sizes are bigger and your basically using your smaller sample size to act like yours are better than ours, there are probably 10 times the "Average" PC users than Mac users. So your test is already ruined over saturation. There is no simple way to compare the Mac vs PC stats fairly for this reason. You could take 200,000 Random PC Shares and then the 200,000 Mac Shares, however a randomly selected PC Shares could tip in either way depending on luck. The best option would be to take 50k of each however randomizing doesn't give thorough results. I'd like you to compare 10% Of the Enthusiast Market Share vs Mac Pro users and tell me whoms machine is more powerful.


As for your 300fps comment umm yes it does matter. Lets see if I want a 240Hz Monitor is nice to have 300fps. If I want to use some forms of 3D I need to be able to produce a minimum of 120fps on a 120Hz monitor. There are a lot of reasons to have over 60FPS. I don't know if your new to gaming in general however 300fps can give you an advantage over 60fps any day. It's not just about how your monitor displays, it's how the game responds as well. Portal is a bad example just because your not doing anything vs players, however games like l4d2 and TF2 I get around 120-200FPS What will that say for your Mac people when you have a machine that can't touch mine? What will you do about input lag because you've got 20-30fps? While 60FPS is ideal for gaming, more can help in slighter ways especially in FPS games. Am I saying its end all to aspire to have more, nope, however I can produce more fps than any mac machine out there, and I am not even on enthusiast level PC Gaming. hehe.

Last edited by GirlPower23: 06-09-2010 at 12:17 AM.
GirlPower23 is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #44
Fuzz Bucket
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2337
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
No my monitor doesn't get 60hz it's higher thanks. However samples sizes are bigger and your basically using your smaller sample size to act like yours are better than ours, there are probably 10 times the "Average" PC users than Mac users. So your test is already ruined over saturation. There is no simple way to compare the Mac vs PC stats fairly for this reason. You could take 200,000 Random PC Shares and then the 200,000 Mac Shares, however a randomly selected PC Shares could tip in either way depending on luck. The best option would be to take 50k of each however randomizing doesn't give thorough results. I'd like you to compare 10% Of the Enthusiast Market Share vs Mac Pro users and tell me whoms machine is more powerful.


As for your 300fps comment umm yes it does matter. Lets see if I want a 240Hz Monitor is nice to have 300fps. If I want to use some forms of 3D I need to be able to produce a minimum of 120fps on a 120Hz monitor. There are a lot of reasons to have over 60FPS. I don't know if your new to gaming in general however 300fps can give you an advantage over 60fps any day. It's not just about how your monitor displays, it's how the game responds as well. Portal is a bad example just because your not doing anything vs players, however games like l4d2 and TF2 I get around 120-200FPS What will that say for your Mac people when you have a machine that can't touch mine?
Sample size doesn't really matter as long as the sample is an accurate representation of the entire population...
Fuzz Bucket is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #45
09rmbrown
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 391
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
No my monitor doesn't get 60hz it's higher thanks. However samples sizes are bigger and your basically using your smaller sample size to act like yours are better than ours, there are probably 10 times the "Average" PC users than Mac users. So your test is already ruined over saturation. There is no simple way to compare the Mac vs PC stats fairly for this reason. You could take 200,000 Random PC Shares and then the 200,000 Mac Shares, however a randomly selected PC Shares could tip in either way depending on luck. The best option would be to take 50k of each however randomizing doesn't give thorough results. I'd like you to compare 10% Of the Enthusiast Market Share vs Mac Pro users and tell me whoms machine is more powerful.


As for your 300fps comment umm yes it does matter. Lets see if I want a 240Hz Monitor is nice to have 300fps. If I want to use some forms of 3D I need to be able to produce a minimum of 120fps on a 120Hz monitor. There are a lot of reasons to have over 60FPS. I don't know if your new to gaming in general however 300fps can give you an advantage over 60fps any day. It's not just about how your monitor displays, it's how the game responds as well. Portal is a bad example just because your not doing anything vs players, however games like l4d2 and TF2 I get around 120-200FPS What will that say for your Mac people when you have a machine that can't touch mine? What will you do about input lag because you've got 20-30fps? While 60FPS is ideal for gaming, more can help in slighter ways especially in FPS games. Am I saying its end all to aspire to have more, nope, however I can produce more fps than any mac machine out there, and I am not even on enthusiast level PC Gaming. hehe.
Please give a link to your exact monitor. Also, exact specs of your computer.
The fact still remains, 99% of people have 60hz monitors. 100% of notebooks have 60hz, though some higher hz displays are coming.

so yes, to you (a ridiculously small percentage of people) it can help a very small amount. Why can't I touch you? I can go buy an external monitor just like you....

And as pointed out in the post above, it's still an accurate sample, Macs on average, have better hardware, simple. (and a more updated and current OS, along with higher average internet speed)

as to your FPS level, a mac pro could be configured in 4 way SLI with GT 200 series GPU's, and with 10.6.4 or using bootcamp, would make you look silly.

I am waiting for you to make a relevant statement. So far you have
1. This sample of Hundreds of thousands of macs and millions of PC's is not accurate, but you think it's important to get over 60fps because of the 1% of people that have high hertz monitors... got it.

Let me give you a quick hint. Saying that you personally have super this, gaming that, doesn't change what is out there as the majority. You having a super PC isn't going to change the fact that the average PC running Steam vs the average mac, is weaker.

Last edited by 09rmbrown: 06-09-2010 at 12:29 AM.
09rmbrown is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.