Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Sauronvoldemort

Banned
Steamworks.

I wish more developers would use Steamworks to release their new games. So far, it has been a slow run!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
>X2<

Banned
Wish harder... I'll help.
>X2< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Joe_m845

y i love to have all my games on steam, so comfortable... lazy me is.
Joe_m845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Sauronvoldemort

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by >X2< View Post
Wish harder... I'll help.
I'm only aware of two new games that will be using Steamworks.

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink_(video_game)
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_New_Vegas
Sauronvoldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
Archer60001

Civ 5

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3792/

MTG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49400/

F3AR maybe

Darksiders maybe
Archer60001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Caelo

Postal 3, more than likely ^^
Caelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
dobby985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer60001 View Post
Darksiders will use Steamworks so will Brink.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
Sauronvoldemort

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksiders
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Choster

I have never noticed a difference between steamworks games and games just for sale on steam. Other than achievements which I wish I could disable. Feature wise reactor looks much better to me personally.
Choster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #10
{Yotsuba}

I wish more developers would use Steamworks to release their new games. So far, it has been a slow run!

Personally I wish for the opposite. All SteamWorks means to me is lack of being able to purchase from a more reliable digital distributor, an ever increasing likeliness that the game will be either delayed or removed from sale here altogether (and the connected possibility that any such pre-ordered game with then never unlock), pointless achievements and other community features I couldn't care less about and terrible support in the event something goes wrong.

And that's pretty much why I will never pre-order any such titles and further, will never purchase them at full price. Any publisher that decides SteamWorks is a good idea, isn't going to their full profit potential from me.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Sauronvoldemort

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

Personally I wish for the opposite. All SteamWorks means to me is lack of being able to purchase from a more reliable digital distributor, an ever increasing likeliness that the game will be either delayed or removed from sale here altogether (and the connected possibility that any such pre-ordered game with then never unlock), pointless achievements and other community features I couldn't care less about and terrible support in the event something goes wrong.

And that's pretty much why I will never pre-order any such titles and further, will never purchase them at full price. Any publisher that decides SteamWorks is a good idea, isn't going to their full profit potential from me.
Then buy from retail then.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #12
Rossco

Quote:

I only ever see you bashing Steam. I'd ask you why you were here since you didn't like Steam, but this isn't the thread and I really don't care that much. Boycotting a game because it uses the only DRM in the industry that adds desirable (To most gamers) things to the product makes no sense to me.

@Topic Steamworks is a great thing. Achievements, saves on the cloud, it's all good . It's usually the Indie games that make the most of it, I have a lot of respect for them for that.
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #13
{Yotsuba}

PC games aren't sold retail here. Which answers the reason as to why I sill use Steam; It's the only legal way to get a lot of PC games here. When I have the choice though, I do buy from other distributors now. And once you've been on the receiving end of SteamWorks' nasty hidden features, you'll most likely start to feel the same.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Ciaos

Quote:

PC games aren't sold retail here. Which answers the reason as to why I sill use Steam; It's the only legal way to get a lot of PC games here. When I have the choice though, I do buy from other distributors now. And once you've been on the receiving end of SteamWorks' nasty hidden features, you'll most likely start to feel the same.
*cough* GFWL *cough*

Please tell me you prefer Steamworks over GFWL. Glad Fallout dropped GFWL for Steamworks. Gamespy for Civ is awful as well (as well as other titles like Borderlands). Argue as much as you want, but Steamworks is simply better than the majority of crap out there.

Best thing is if Developers integrate their own online system AKA BFBC2 EA servers. But out of GFWL, Steamworks and Gamespy, I'd take Steamworks anyday.
Ciaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #15
Choster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaos View Post
*cough* GFWL *cough*

Please tell me you prefer Steamworks over GFWL. Glad Fallout dropped GFWL for Steamworks. Gamespy for Civ is awful as well (as well as other titles like Borderlands). Argue as much as you want, but Steamworks is simply better than the majority of crap out there.

Best thing is if Developers integrate their own online system AKA BFBC2 EA servers. But out of GFWL, Steamworks and Gamespy, I'd take Steamworks anyday.
Fear 2 used steamworks and gamespy together. I agree that gamespy and gfwl are both horrid. I bought two games that use gfwl and both got tossed in the bin.
Choster is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion