Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Pocket Spoon
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 6
Question Steam client won't start at all. "Bad field - extends past end of blob" error.

When I try to launch Steam, or any Steam game, I get an error message and nothing else happens. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

The error message reads:

Quote:
Steam.exe (main exception): CMultiFieldBlob(pSerialized): Bad field - extends past end of blob
This only started happening today, it was opening and launching games fine yesterday.

Thanks for your time.
Pocket Spoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Maledict21
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 1719
Posts: 5,023
If you follow the instructions in this Support article, it should resolve the issue.

Steam.exe (main exception): CMultiFieldBlob(pSerialized)
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Pocket Spoon
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 6
Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks a lot.
Pocket Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
broomstick
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Yay! That fixed it for me! Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
MgNoOn
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
thanks alot dude it works now :0
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
RockstarMaxx
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 86
Posts: 999
Had to do a massive steam update, but it works -_-
RockstarMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Ol' Scratch
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Reputation: 2
Posts: 62
After reading the description of the problem, I decided to delete "clientregistry.blob" first, because I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago. Deleted it, started Steam, it updated, then asked me for login info, and launched fine. So, I think deleting EVERYTHING in the directory isn't quite necessary...
Ol' Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
Dubhuir
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 14
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
If you follow the instructions in this Support article, it should resolve the issue.

Steam.exe (main exception): CMultiFieldBlob(pSerialized)
I went to great effort to find out my username and stuff for these forums just to thank you. And rep you and all that.
Dubhuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Whitestar
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Yeah, it seemed to work at first. But when Steam started updating, it got to about 26% and then the following message appeared.

---------------------------
ERROR
---------------------------
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied."
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------


What now? Should I download a new steam.exe or something?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
maxwell89
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar View Post
Yeah, it seemed to work at first. But when Steam started updating, it got to about 26% and then the following message appeared.

---------------------------
ERROR
---------------------------
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied."
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------


What now? Should I download a new steam.exe or something?

did the same thing for me just now, all i did was delete the .blob files just keep bringing up the steam client, it will finally fix itself
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
321System123
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Cool Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar View Post
Yeah, it seemed to work at first. But when Steam started updating, it got to about 26% and then the following message appeared.

---------------------------
ERROR
---------------------------
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is denied."
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------


What now? Should I download a new steam.exe or something?

Just means that it doesnt have enough control to delete the old files and update. Just right click Steam and "Run as Administator"
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
snozzwang
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 38
thanks a lot for that!
snozzwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Username314
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
That was a pretty painless fix; only took a few minutes. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
gurd
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Scratch View Post
After reading the description of the problem, I decided to delete "clientregistry.blob" first, because I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago. Deleted it, started Steam, it updated, then asked me for login info, and launched fine. So, I think deleting EVERYTHING in the directory isn't quite necessary...
He is right. Deleting EVERYTHING is not necessary, not for my case atleast. I had the same error, and i just deleted "clientregistry.blob" relaunched steam after that and I skipped the long update process of deleting EVERYTHING.

tl;dr
Try deleting "clientregistry.blob" file first before following steam's solution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
kshoggi
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurd View Post
He is right. Deleting EVERYTHING is not necessary, not for my case atleast. I had the same error, and i just deleted "clientregistry.blob" relaunched steam after that and I skipped the long update process of deleting EVERYTHING.

tl;dr
Try deleting "clientregistry.blob" file first before following steam's solution.
Does not always work, unfortunately. at least not in my case T-T
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.