Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Knightxmare
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
.vtf converter?

i need an image converter to convert something to .vtf, preferably from .tga on a mac.

does anyone know where i can get one, or can some one with a pc convert the image for me?

it would help ALOT

Last edited by Knightxmare: 06-12-2010 at 03:55 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Fuzz Bucket
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2337
Posts: 4,544
If it is a spray, Valve's games will accept TGAs.
Anyone have and docs on the vtf format?
Fuzz Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Bolteh
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
If you try to load a .TGA as spray, you get an error that it couldn't find a .dll. And for me, .ctf files don't work either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Fuzz Bucket
 
Banned
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2337
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolteh View Post
If you try to load a .TGA as spray, you get an error that it couldn't find a .dll. And for me, .ctf files don't work either.
Eh. I'd report that as a bug.

I'll try it next time I play and report it to the mailing list if what you say occurs.
Fuzz Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Knightxmare
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolteh View Post
If you try to load a .TGA as spray, you get an error that it couldn't find a .dll.
this is what i get when i try .tga's

and when i try .jpg, or any of the "supported" files, it comes out with the same error.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
stevethepocket
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 267
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz Bucket View Post
Eh. I'd report that as a bug.

I'll try it next time I play and report it to the mailing list if what you say occurs.
Yes, definitely report blatant bugs like that. Also, I can barely read your text. Please don't use custom colors for everything. This isn't Instant Messenger.

Meanwhile, VTFEdit or the VTF Photoshop Plugin should avail you well.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
G9er
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 72
.vtf don't even work for mac. I went to a couple sites where you can download sprays that are already in .vtf and when you upload them, nothing happens. Valve needs to make a fix before we see any spray for mac.
G9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Knightxmare
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepocket View Post
Yes, definitely report blatant bugs like that. Also, I can barely read your text. Please don't use custom colors for everything. This isn't Instant Messenger.

Meanwhile, VTFEdit or the VTF Photoshop Plugin should avail you well.
1) you can barely read my text? its green on black, if you cant see it ill make it a little lighter, if you still cant see it, then you need your eyes checked or you need to turn up your brightness...

2) VTFedit does not work on mac (its .exe) and photoshop cost money (or at least thats what ive seen) and i dont want to pay just to get sprays for a game.

3) im sure its been reported many times... ive reported it and im sure some of the thousand people on mac have reported it.

and btw, i dont use custom colors for everything... this is only the SECOND thing i use it on (this and another forums) i dont even use messenger...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Benjamuffin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 501
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightxmare View Post
1) you can barely read my text? its green on black, if you cant see it ill make it a little lighter, if you still cant see it, then you need your eyes checked or you need to turn up your brightness...

2) VTFedit does not work on mac (its .exe) and photoshop cost money (or at least thats what ive seen) and i dont want to pay just to get sprays for a game.

3) im sure its been reported many times... ive reported it and im sure some of the thousand people on mac have reported it.

and btw, i dont use custom colors for everything... this is only the SECOND thing i use it on (this and another forums) i dont even use messenger...
He could barely read your text because it was dark green on a dark color. Itʻs not impossible to read. Just unnecessarily difficult in comparison to white on dark colors. Also telling someone trying to help you to "get your eyes checked" is incredibly rude.

Secondly he didnʻt mean that you use custom colors for everything, and an instant messenger isnʻt just msn. Itʻs any instant messaging client. Anywho you missed his point.

He was trying to say; The colors are there to help format your posts. They are for things like titled sections etc. Or things such as red font to promote seriousness in a sentence. This is not a place you just pick a color and go with it for all posts.

EDIT: The same can be said for your bold and italics.
Benjamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Dorje
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 7
Posts: 197
You need to look into Wine and Wine bottling programs people have made. I have not yet tried to put VTFedit into a Wine warper but it should work.
Dorje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Genexi2
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reputation: 4
Posts: 273
I found Valve's importer never liked the way Preview saved images as, so I always ended up having to use Photoshop on my PC whenever I transferred pictures over to use.
Genexi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
stevethepocket
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 267
Posts: 1,972
Yeah, nobody has made a VTF converter for Mac yet, and this should surprise nobody. I assumed you had access to at least one Windows system somewhere, even if it's someone else's.

BTW I don't think the Photoshop plugin works on Mac either.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Ace00731
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 6
yes vtfs work on mac for games and stuff, but, however, you cant open and view them. The VTF Plugin fo Photoshop doesn't work on Mac, because im not sure plugins work on mac. Oh and i tried using crossover for vtef edit, and concluded with a negative response.
Ace00731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
ATLbandit
 
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 291
Posts: 2,249
Thread resurrection?

Two users have reported working on utilities for working with the vtf format, however I haven't heard anything additional on these.
ATLbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
NSGod
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 293
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLbandit View Post
Two users have reported working on utilities for working with the vtf format, however I haven't heard anything additional on these.
While I made significant progress, including VTF and DDS QuickLook and Spotlight plugins, ability to open and view animated VTFs, ability to open and save non-DXT VTFs, and ability to open and save any format DDS, the saving of DXT VTFs has bugs that need to be worked out. Also, manipulation of the frames in animated VTFs needed work, as well as the export panel interface, etc.

To be honest, at this point in time, I've kind of lost immediate interest in Valve and Source games for various reasons I won't go into. Also, another open-source project I was working on (Xfire.framework, XfireKit.framework), has now become a higher priority for me than the VTF thing.
NSGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.