Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Jurgs

Metro 2033 will NOT start?

When I try to start the game, I get an error saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000056). Click OK to close the application."

I just bought it today ... it finished installing and I clicked to start it up, it did the first time startup things, then gave me the error. Everytime after that I try to start the game it says that too.

Any ideas / solutions?
Thanks in advance,
Jurgs

Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
ury2ok2000

I had a lot of trouble getting this game up and running. I believe i ran across that error as well. If i remember correctly for me the problem was with having 2 monitors hooked up. I unplugged one and it worked. Just a suggestiong tho i dont know if you have 2 monitors or not.

things I did to get game running. Updated video drivers. Unplugged 2nd monitor. Downloaded and installed a missing .dll file and registered it. (cursed - a lot).

Good game. Really liking the atmosphere but its still has issues. I have nvidia 3d vision. In DX10 if i dont use it then the screen scrambles and there is a small sqaure that is my actual screen in the corner. Dont have this issue if i run in DX9 but there is a pretty big performance hit when i run in that mode. Anyway good luck on the issue.
ury2ok2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Jurgs

I just went through the directories to common/metro 2033 and then found the actual application file, and double clicked that. When I did it said "The program can't start because PhysXLoader.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I'm guessing that is the .dll file you needed to get? And then what / how would I do this? Is that a missing game file, or a missing thing that the game uses, but not directly related to the game (ie directX - although that's much "bigger")

Sorry ... I'm not too great with files... I play the games, but I don't know too well how to fix them heh.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
ury2ok2000

no prob.

honestly your best bet is google (this is how i solve majority of issues) but ill try to help if i can.

The issue i had was a missing directx audio .dll file. The game wouldnt even try to launch without it. Your problem seems to have popped up elsewhere on this board. The fix if i remember correctly is to go to that directory and manually install the physx.

After that it was suggested to just reboot steam then run again. (Though a system reboot might be a good idea too).

here is a post in the forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1193715)

but it looks to be a pretty big problem. It seems like of all the suggestions your best be may be to uninstall physX then do the registry cleaner thing (though finding a free program with that might be some trouble) then reboot. then install physX fresh.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
ury2ok2000

do you have a nvidia card? If so have you downloaded and installed the newest drivers?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
ury2ok2000

this may help.
http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/11767.aspx

this site was a bunch of help to me
http://www.martin-gardner.co.uk/metr...-is-incorrect/
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Jurgs

Thanks man, I needed to do some stuff with installing the PhysX, and then reboot. Now it started, and I got into the game and viewed the intro video fine, but the mouse cursor on the main menu was moving slowly so I'm updating my drivers (nvidia)
Hopefully it will be faster and everything will be fine after that.

I can't thank you enough, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
wazups 2x

I didn't need to install or uninstall anything, just simply restart your computer and it will work.
wazups 2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
JoeGreater75

For those of you that the 'reboot pc' or 'reinstall PhysX' methods didn't work for you try this out:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1306669
JoeGreater75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033