Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Mromson

How to disable Steam In-Game overlay in Non-Steam games?

I've been looking for a solution for quite some time and there seems be to none to be found. Steam games can have their in-game overlay disabled pretty easily within the games steam properties, however non-steam games receive no such benefit. Only current solution I've found is to disable the Steam in-game overlay completely. Which is very much a hassle.

Anyone able to help? Is there some launch command to disable in-game steam overlay?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
fade_out

I can disable it perfectly easily, Steam library > right click on game > properties > disable steam in-game.

Here I even made you a picture:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9177/69846977.jpg
fade_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade_out View Post
I can disable it perfectly easily, Steam library > right click on game > properties > disable steam in-game.
Unfortunately, this option is not available in the properties dialog for non-Steam games.

There is a workaround that decreases the hassle of enabling/disabling the overlay. In the registry, find the EnableGameOverlay value located at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\<user number>\system. To disable the overlay, change this value to 0. You can export this value twice (one for enabling and one for disabling). To enable/disable the overlay, just open the appropriate reg file. This tends be be a lot quicker than using the settings dialog in Steam.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Mromson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade_out View Post

Here I even made you a picture:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9177/69846977.jpg
Read again. I specifically specified "Non-Steam Games" both in the thread title and the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
Unfortunately, this option is not available in the properties dialog for non-Steam games.

There is a workaround that decreases the hassle of enabling/disabling the overlay. In the registry, find the EnableGameOverlay value located at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\<user number>\system. To disable the overlay, change this value to 0. You can export this value twice (one for enabling and one for disabling). To enable/disable the overlay, just open the appropriate reg file. This tends be be a lot quicker than using the settings dialog in Steam.
This is virtually the same as manually enabling and disabling Steam Overlay in the Steam settings...
Mromson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mromson View Post
This is virtually the same as manually enabling and disabling Steam Overlay in the Steam settings...
Correct, but it's quicker to dump both files on your desktop and double click them to change the setting though, rather than use the dialog. As far as I know, it's the best workaround we have right now. Hopefully they will extend the per game overlay setting to non-Steam games.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Mromson

Surely there must be a better way to do this? I mean - you can do it for Steam games...
Mromson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Slayer00

Steam -> Settings -> In-game -> untick the Enable Steam Community In-Game

It disables overlay in all games which should include non-Steam games, didn't test it myself, kinda busy, sorry.
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
HurtSauce

I know I'm resurrecting and old thread but I just did a search on this today and wound up here... Anyone found a new work-around for this? It seems with the new Steam UI, the regedit trick doesn't work anymore. I've ran the disable.reg file, verified the value is set to zero in the registry, but when I launch World at War, I still get kicked by PB.

With the registry value set at zero, Steam still shows the option ticked when I open the dialog box. Making sure Steam didn't set the value back to 1 just by opening my Steam options, I looked in the registry and it's still set to zero. I've probably spent more time looking for a solution than it would have taken me in all the times playing the game to just go into my global Steam options and disable it, but now it's the principal of it... there's got to be a way to do it!
HurtSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Austin007

Voting for the option to disable it for non steam games as well, on a per game basis.
Austin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Solav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin007 View Post
Voting for the option to disable it for non steam games as well, on a per game basis.
/signed
Solav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
MrSmit

Wait a sec here, what is the point of adding non-Steam games to Steam if you aren't even going to use the overlay?
MrSmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Killerwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmit View Post
Wait a sec here, what is the point of adding non-Steam games to Steam if you aren't even going to use the overlay?
Just as well wanted to ask the same.
How about running the game outside Steam? That will get rid of the overlay. Yes, your community status won't show that you are playing. But seriously now, does that really matter?
Killerwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
Delta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerwatt View Post
Just as well wanted to ask the same.
How about running the game outside Steam? That will get rid of the overlay. Yes, your community status won't show that you are playing. But seriously now, does that really matter?
Yeah but steam gives you a convenient shortcut panel in this way, without visually burdening your desktop, and it makes you "keep" all of your games in one place. They should just include the option for non-steam games in an upcoming patch.
Delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
MaTudre

I agree, this option should be there. I can't use overlay with BF2 games but i sure would like to my friends to know that i am playing this and that mod for BF2 so they can join if they want to.

Though i would not have to worry about this thing if Valve and Punkbuster got their **it together.
MaTudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Fenrisulfir

I know I'm resurrecting this one again but I wanted to agree. I use Steam for launching all my major apps (Visual Studio, 3DSMAX, Unity, etc) as well as my games and would love an option to disable the in-game community overlay for non-steam games on a per game basis. It really doesn't play well with apps that use multiple viewports simultaneously.
Fenrisulfir is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips