Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
crunc

Logitech mouse driver and Steam games

I have a Logitech mouse and have the Logitech driver installed so that I get use of all the buttons. This works okay, but the global settings I have set don't work well in Steam games. I tried to create a custom setting for Team Fortress 2, for example, by selecting the application shortcut as the application, but that didn't seem to work. I could select that and create custom settings, but when running TF2 those custom settings weren't actually in effect. I noticed that TF2 actually seems to run from a shell executable or script or something called hl2_osx which is in Steam Content/username/team fortress 2. Unfortunately I can't select that file as an application, and so the end result seems to be that I get the global settings regardless. Is there any way around this issue?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
LocoRocker

there is a setting within the logitech software suite to detect games and use either global or specific settings with them. unfortunately it doesn't work for me when playing crysis. some of the buttons don't react to remapping and some retain their global functions like alt-tabbing which is quite terrible during frantic gameplay as you might imagine.
LocoRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
NSGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I have a Logitech mouse and have the Logitech driver installed so that I get use of all the buttons. This works okay, but the global settings I have set don't work well in Steam games. I tried to create a custom setting for Team Fortress 2, for example, by selecting the application shortcut as the application, but that didn't seem to work. I could select that and create custom settings, but when running TF2 those custom settings weren't actually in effect. I noticed that TF2 actually seems to run from a shell executable or script or something called hl2_osx which is in Steam Content/username/team fortress 2. Unfortunately I can't select that file as an application, and so the end result seems to be that I get the global settings regardless. Is there any way around this issue?
See my post about this issue here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...41&postcount=3

I am working on a helper app that will allow you to properly choose the hl2_osx of each respective app from within your mouse software to assign a custom settings profile. (Though, you may need to re-help these Mach-O executables each time there's an update and the original hl2_osx file with custom metadata is overwritten with a new one).
NSGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
MoDFoX

=\ logitech drivers are terrible.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
MysteryBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGod View Post
See my post about this issue here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...41&postcount=3

I am working on a helper app that will allow you to properly choose the hl2_osx of each respective app from within your mouse software to assign a custom settings profile. (Though, you may need to re-help these Mach-O executables each time there's an update and the original hl2_osx file with custom metadata is overwritten with a new one).

I used this method the other day. I was able to assign a custom profile for each of my source games, however that still didn't work. Even though I had custom button settings for my games (TF2 for example) when in game it was still using the global settings for everything.

Say I wanted to use a thumb button for crouch, so I set one of the thumb buttons when in TF2 to count as a "button 5" click (So I could assign "mouse button 5" the crouch function from within TF2), but whenever I press it in TF2 it still runs expose which the buttons global function.

Yes I had the custom settings set for the actual HL2_OSX file not the steam created shortcut. I have a feeling though that this issue is caused by a crappy logitec driver not detecting which app was currently receiving focus, and I don't know how to change that.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
ThePenciler

I would make a gaming profile in the Logitech Control Center and assign keystrokes to the buttons that correspond to the default keymapping in TF2. Then switch between that and the Global profile? I don't think the extra Logitech buttons (other than left, middle and right) are seen as mouse buttons by Mac OS X. All the extra buttons on my mouse were seen as WIN5 buttons in some games or something to that effect and seen as nothing in other games. At least keystrokes are seen in all games. This way you can have a profile without having the LCC detect the game. I apologize if I got that wrong. I think you can't do that unless it's to the Global profile, but I'm not sure.

Logitech certainly doesn't make it easy for us. My Logicrap mouse just stopped working and I sent away for a basic Microsoft optical white 3-button scroll mouse. Wired. An interim one until I can get a Razer. Razer seems friendly to all gamers, Mac OS X and Windows.

Last edited by ThePenciler: 06-15-2010 at 05:54 PM.
ThePenciler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
RepomanUK

Quote:

This worked perfectly for me - although I'm using steermouse rather than logitech drivers. It will almost certainly need to be re-applied every time steam updates the executables.

Hopefully Valve will implement a more permanent fix.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
MysteryBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenciler View Post
I would make a gaming profile in the Logitech Control Center and assign keystrokes to the buttons that correspond to the default keymapping in TF2. Then switch between that and the Global profile?

Well the problem was that the mouse drivers weren't using the custom profile at all, no matter what I was running it would always use the global profile.
I did manage to solves this, although it was done by uninstalling the Logitech Control Center and instead using SteerMouse. The Logitech drivers were just badly written I guess, but everything seems to be working properly after I switched.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
NSGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanUK View Post
This worked perfectly for me - although I'm using steermouse rather than logitech drivers. It will almost certainly need to be re-applied every time steam updates the executables.

Hopefully Valve will implement a more permanent fix.
So, you guys who are saying that it worked for you with Steermouse, you mean you knew how to change the file type and creator codes yourself? For those who tried the Logitech Control Panel and it didn't work, you mean you also knew how to change the file type and creator codes yourself?

Since Logitech's software is actually quite a bit more up-to-date (in terms of the APIs it uses, AFAIKT), it's much more likely that it's looking for a valid CFBundleIdentifier, which the method I outlined in the other thread does not provide. (Now, to be honest, I probably could create an XML Property List file (.plist), and save it as a 'plst' resource in the resource fork of the "hl2_osx" executable and Logitech's software would work fine, but that's a bit much. If you noticed in the other thread, I mentioned that after I set the file type and creator code, the Finder's description of the item changed to "Application (Classic)". This file's lack of a 'plst' resource is exactly the reason that "(Classic)" is appended to the description, as a single-file 'APPL' (which would generally be CFM/PEF) is generally expected to have a 'plst' resource to provide additional information about the app (such as LSRequiresCarbon, etc.). Yet, while most true Classic applications have a prohibitory sign superimposed on their icon to signify the fact that they can't be run (since the Classic Environment is no longer supported in 10.5 and later), the Finder doesn't superimpose one over this "Classic" app, as it also knows that it's an Intel Mach-O binary (by noticing the 0xCEFAEDFE magic number)).

Anyway, the more permanent fix will be adopting a proper bundled application structure with unique bundle identifiers (and creator codes/CFBundleSignatures) for each Source-based game.

My helper app, now coined "Source Finagler", is nearly finished.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
MysteryBBQ

Quote:
So, you guys who are saying that it worked for you with Steermouse, you mean you knew how to change the file type and creator codes yourself? For those who tried the Logitech Control Panel and it didn't work, you mean you also knew how to change the file type and creator codes yourself?
Quote:
Anyway, the more permanent fix will be adopting a proper bundled application structure with unique bundle identifiers (and creator codes/CFBundleSignatures) for each Source-based game.

My helper app, now coined "Source Finagler", is nearly finished.
It will be nice to see the final app, sounds like it will make things easier.

What I did to change the file type and creator codes was (after reading one of your earlier posts about what exactly to change) I found a little app named "Filetype" appropriately enough, which allowed me to make the changes as I don't know how to do it manually.
After I did that I was able to make a custom profile for the game in the Logitech Control center, but it wouldn't use the custom profile in-game, I didn't have that problem when using SteerMouse.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
NSGod

Well, I know I said that making a 'plst' resource was a bit much, but, now that I know it works (at least the Finder shows all of the information I added in the plist entry, such as Copyright © 2004-2010 Valve Corporation, version number, etc.), how can I not do it, when I have the code to do it just sitting here? (If I store what needs to go into the resource fork as resource files in my app bundle, I can use the same code that I used in the "dfontifier" feature of my Font Finagler app). This will also do the same thing as pasting the respective icons onto the hl2_osx files to make them easier to identify from within your mouse app too. This will be for version 1.2 I suppose…

Anyway, version 1.1 is done. Icon isn't done though (the crowbar from HL2 seems more fitting an item to have than the plunger that's from Font Finagler).

EDIT: Source Finagler now has its own page: http://www.markdouma.com/sourcefinagler/.

Oh, in case it isn't clear, to "help" or "unhelp" the mouse applications, just first select the items in the table, and then click the respective button.

Last edited by NSGod: 10-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
RepomanUK

Quote:
Well, I know I said that making a 'plst' resource was a bit much, but, now that I know it works (at least the Finder shows all of the information I added in the plist entry, such as Copyright © 2004-2010 Valve Corporation, version number, etc.), how can I not do it, when I have the code to do it just sitting here? (If I store what needs to go into the resource fork as resource files in my app bundle, I can use the same code that I used in the "dfontifier" feature of my Font Finagler app). This will also do the same thing as pasting the respective icons onto the hl2_osx files to make them easier to identify from within your mouse app too. This will be for version 1.2 I suppose…

Anyway, version 1.1 is done. Icon isn't done though (the crowbar from HL2 seems more fitting an item to have than the plunger that's from Font Finagler). SourceFinagler.zip (.zip, ~ 545 KB).

Oh, in case it isn't clear, to "help" or "unhelp" the mouse applications, just first select the items in the table, and then click the respective button.
Nice work NSGod - As with the poster above I didn't know exactly what to change at first, but downloaded the same program and followed your instructions with success.

I understand the importance of the filetype, but not the creator code. At the moment all my binaries are stamped with the same filetype AND creator code. Should this make any difference? They seem to work fine for the moment.

I've also been in touch with the steermouse dev's to make them aware of the issue, although I know Valve should really have the responsibility of packaging the apps in a more mac-like way.

I suspect this might be problematic for windows users as I believe both OS's currently use pretty much identical resources and download both binary types. Making the Mac version into an .app might prevent the multiformat nature of the software package.

EDIT_-------
And I've just tried your helper app - works great from what I can see.

Any chance of a background process that monitors the state of the steam binaries and re-applies the fix for any of the binaries that are updated?

Might be a big ask though!

Last edited by RepomanUK: 06-17-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
TheFLC

Loved the utility, but it's not working anymore. I'm guessing this is due to the new location of the Steam folder. Will you be providing an update?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Timerider42

In TF2 I bound a mouse button (its a Razer DeathAdder) to slot3. However it only works sometimes. There are times when I have to hit it 5 times for it to register. I'm not sure if it's a hardware, software, or driver problem.
Timerider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Cjelli

Banned
I use Steermouse. Logitech drivers have never even picked up my mouse is plugged in. Logitech drivers are pretty much 100% crap anyway. Steermouse works great.
Cjelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam