Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Darth Silver

Lightbulb Can we combine gels?

That is, if there were two gel tubes in the same room, one shooting Repulsion Gel and one shooting Propulsion Gel, can we shoot them onto the same surface in order to combine them into a new Gel that lets you run super fast and jump high?

Or maybe, in order to allow Test chambers to be solved with multiple gels instead of one super-gel, there would be a Gel-mixing station in some levels. So on one side of a level there would be one gel, on the other side there would be another, and you have to direct them both to the Gel-Mixer in the middle in order to make a super-gel and get to the exit.

It'd be fricken sweet as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
SaneDunk

Would be interesting. I still want to see the other gels.
SaneDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
StarYoshi

For the life of me, I can't think of too much more they could add.

Apart from Adhesive Gel. We saw an example of wall hopping in the final minutes of the video using the Repulsion Gel, but perhaps there will be something like a Green gel that lets you walk on surfaces, negate gravity and plant portals, say, from one wall to a ceiling and never losing your traction.
StarYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
The_End254

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarYoshi View Post

Apart from Adhesive Gel. We saw an example of wall hopping in the final minutes of the video using the Repulsion Gel, but perhaps there will be something like a Green gel that lets you walk on surfaces, negate gravity and plant portals, say, from one wall to a ceiling and never losing your traction.
That would be awesome and make for some interesting puzzles.
The_End254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Darth Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarYoshi View Post

But, if you came out a portal on the ceiling, one surrounded in adhesive gel, wouldn't you just fall down? It would need to be more like "Gravity Gel", attracting you when you get within a certain distance.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Hardun

other gels apparently do the opposite to those two we have seen.

Im loving it, but the main reason I loved portal was that it was easy, and I'm absolutely crap at working things out.
Hardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
TheDaFox

I doubt we will see mixing gels into new ones, I do expect that we will see things like having to use the orange gel to get momentum before hitting the blue gel to go flying so that you go much further.

That's how Tag worked atleast.
TheDaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Terrormokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardun View Post
other gels apparently do the opposite to those two we have seen.

Im loving it, but the main reason I loved portal was that it was easy, and I'm absolutely crap at working things out.
A sticky gel and slow down gel?
Terrormokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Solarmech

Why would we want the Combine to get gels? sm
Solarmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Thatuserguy

Please no. My simple mind would break the exact moment I was confronted with having to combine 2 gels just to get anywhere.
Thatuserguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Alaskan Wolf

Well, lets think with portals here, shall we?

They could add 'portal repulsion gel' which deflects the portal onto a different surface.

They could add a gel which 'soaks up' portals to make it so portals will only stay for a small amount of time.

A gel that gets rid of other gels of course, some type of paint thinner or something.

a gel that reflects the tractor beam/thermal discouragement beam without the need of the special block.

a gel you can place on blocks that is a variant of the thermal discouragement beam, which, if it touches certain objects, will become thermally discouraged.

Just some thoughts that I had. Also, you have to realize that there are probably more game mechanics than the things that they have shown us at E3 (besides gels) and you could incorporate gels into that.
Alaskan Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
v.dog

Tag had paint thinner, but you needed it since you could paint anywhere. So far P2's placement looks pretty strict, so you probably won't need it.

Bouncing portals and sticky gel could be a winner, as would one that lets you place portals where you couldn't before.
v.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Shinokorosha

I beleive the "combining" of gels would work as it does in Tag where you can run a line of orange then lead that into blue to make a fast run into a good hard jump propelling you forward. Blue's biggest use would be in wall jumping, as it is with Tag. But altogether I'm not sure what other creative ideas you can use the Gel for. Climbing on walls isn't very source engine friendly with the current settings, though I like the idea of bouncing your portal shot off something.
Shinokorosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
doomplayer

NO, YOU DONT WANT TO CROSS THE STREAMS!!!!!!!
doomplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
J*Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomplayer View Post
NO, YOU DONT WANT TO CROSS THE STREAMS!!!!!!!
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
J*Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2