Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
hessianfifer

Red face Achievement not unlocking

Yesterday, I was doing The Advanced Portal Chamber 17 after already 3 other Advanced chambers prior, so I was going for the Fruitcake achievement (beat 4 advanced chambers), but my internet was constantly disconnecting me without me knowing it, and as we know achievements can't be unlocked while you're offline. So the internet was down while I beat the level and the Achievement didn't pop up. I checked my Achievements on Portal and it said Fruitcake: 4 out of 4, but it was not unlocked. It says that I've done all 4 of the required, but the achievement isn't unlocked. And on my Steam achievement list it's still remains unlocked. I'm thinking when I beat all 6 testchambers and get Vanilla Crazy Cake, that it will unlock it. But I'm still kind of worried that won't work and I'll never get the achievement I earned, unless Valve patches it
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
TJF588

Well, Portal's Achievements, far as I know, are only bragging rights save for Heartbreaker, which is required for allowing the radios for Transmission Received, so if your Steam profile is saying "yes", then that's all that would really matter.

However, on the offchance that the game saying "no" would retroactively affect your Steam profile, this could end up a problem. My only suggestion, since I don't really know Steam's mechanics, is to boot Steam and the game up when you have a solid connection and see if that works. Wanna say I've seen people suggest that unlocking a different Achievement will trigger ones you should have unlocked, so if that's the case, be sure to have a solid connection when you get Vanilla Crazy Cake, eh?

Good luck, man.
TJF588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
nrnoble

Hessianfifer, remove\rename ..\Steam\steamapps\{usernanme}\portal\portal\ gamestate.txt and Steam will download the achievement info from you steam account. That should unlock your achievements.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
gorpie

After deleting/renaming gamestate.txt, you may need to redo one of the maps in order for the achievement to actually become unlocked. I think you can just load a save of the last chamber you did, and re-finish it.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
orbitboy

Can you guys explain that again?
If the achievements seen in/on the Portal Game and the achievements seen on one's Steam account do not match (mine don't either, I have 2 still locked on Steam that are unlocked on Portal: Lab Rat and Party Goer) and I rename my gamestate.txt file, which set of achievements will be updated from where?
Is it possible that the reverse occurs - that is, one site actually loses or locks achievements by the file renaming???

Last edited by orbitboy: 06-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
nrnoble

Online is the the master\official copy of achievements. If you remove\rename gamestat.txt on your computer, it will be be created again from the master copy. Nothing permanently bad will happen no matter what you do to gamestat.txt. The online master copy of achievements never reads gamestat.txt EVER, so can muck with all you want and nothing bad will ever happen that can't be reversed by simply deleting the file.

Last edited by nrnoble: 06-18-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
orbitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Online is the the master\official copy of achievements. If you remove\rename gamestat.txt on your computer, it will be be created again from the master copy. Nothing permanently bad will happen no matter what you do to gamestat.txt. The online master copy of achievements never reads gamestat.txt EVER, so can muck with all you want and nothing bad will ever happen that can't be reversed by simply deleting the file.

BINGO! ! ! ! ! !

Finally got that ever and all elusive Aperature Science Award! (Test Chamber 16 Least Time...)

That completes all the challenges - well - sort of...

Not to beat a dead horse or an old thread, but this seemed the most likely place to ask about achievements (again) You see, I register all the awards in my Portal (local game) - however - Steam (online) reports I am still missing 2 , Lab Rat and Party Submission Position. There have been various fixes suggested around the forum. It is confusing as to just which ones wipe out the online achievements and which correct the problem. I need to correct the ones recorded OnLine at the Steam Servers. Guys - What is the most reliable way to do this? Appreciate all your help!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
nrnoble

Before launching Portal, delete\rename gamestat.txt. You will need to replay the missing achievements while online. You must be online for acheivements to be recorded by the steam servers WHILE PLAYING.

Last edited by nrnoble: 08-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
orbitboy

nrnobile --

Is there any particular way to assure you are online while playing?

And what happens to the acheivements already received? I'm assuming the Server reloads/recreates the gamestat.txt file from online memory only the new file will not have the two missing acheivements. This will allow the player to re-earn them, then both acheivement files will jive (as long as one is online...?) If so, I believe I understand (finally.) From your previous post, no harm can come from deleting gamestat.txt because it will be recreated according to what is on the server and that is what we really want(?) So how to be sure one is online the entire time?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitboy View Post
So how to be sure one is online the entire time?
orbotboy--, don't disconnect your network connection while playing.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #11
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitboy View Post
nrnobile --

Is there any particular way to assure you are online while playing?

And what happens to the acheivements already received? I'm assuming the Server reloads/recreates the gamestat.txt file from online memory only the new file will not have the two missing acheivements. This will allow the player to re-earn them, then both acheivement files will jive (as long as one is online...?) If so, I believe I understand (finally.) From your previous post, no harm can come from deleting gamestat.txt because it will be recreated according to what is on the server and that is what we really want(?) So how to be sure one is online the entire time?
As long as you didn't set Steam to Offline mode (and are connected to the internet), you should be fine.

But the Steam servers sometimes go down for maintenance (both planned and unplanned). The only way I know of to check that is to have your Steam Community ID set up. Then you can always check your friends list.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
orbitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
Then you can always check your friends list.
Alas gorpie, I have no friends to check...

........, ........, ........,

(...waiting for all the "awwwhs..." and "yeah, must be some poor geeky guy" comments...)

But I DO HAVE all my achievements correct on the Steam Servers now! The recommendations here, from you two guys, helped fix that. Just needed to understand what would happen before I did the .txt file deletion. That was the answer. Should be stickied somewhere!

Thanks Again!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
gorpie

You CAN set up your Community ID without having any friends to add. I was somebody's first friend, just like someone else was my first. (Of course, I wasn't set up before then, either.)

There might be another way (for example, I just clicked on Steam Servers--but that might be inefficient, especially since I don't know how many servers it will list and you might think it locked up, like I just did).
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Mooostache

do you, by any chance, have sv_cheats on? it disables achievements automatically
Mooostache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
GanonFodder

Yeah, I'm having this excact same problem too. Now i have unlocked Vanilla Crazy Cake achvment and guess what, Fruit cake is still locked
GanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal