Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
davlyn_20

Thumbs up Fix for black screen on start up followed by crash

Hello, i wanted to make this because i found the problem by my self, and the game run really great now, and because other treads doesn't work !

If the game doesn't start, and crash after a black screen :

Go to : \Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config open the file called TdEngine open it and find this line, by pressing ctrl + f9 called : ResX change the value after the "=" to your screen resolution (ResX X ResY)

Exemple : you have a screen at 1920X1080, it has to be like that then :
ResX=1920
ResY=1080

Then you can lunch the game, i also had problems with PhysX (bad fps), go to option in-game and disable PhysX.

Thats all you need to make the game run,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttmegger View Post
What an annoyingly simple solution! Changing the launch resolution as described above worked for the problem it was giving me. Have some +rep my good man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr3nDy View Post
lol mate very nice. It worked for me im so happy now . But I don´t get the reason for a game to not start because of the "worng" resolution. Bad programming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkryptX3 View Post
Thanks, I wonder why nobody has fixed this issue by now. Real fast O/T How do you +rep I'm new on here

28 November 2010, if what you tried above doesn't work, please check this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharr View Post

The game will crash/not start up if PhysX is not installed or if it is corrupt. (It should be installed even if you don't have an nVidia card since it uses the CPU in the absence of an nVidia card).
Normally steam will install the necessary drivers before lunching the game. ( I assume it doesn't work all the times) http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_new.html

Last edited by davlyn_20: 11-28-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Small update about the Physx.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
mrmotinjo

This works, thank you very much.
The game trying to run in an unsupported resolution by default is just plain unprofessional.
mrmotinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
XxSkArReDxX

bumping up to support great help
XxSkArReDxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
GameWarrior2216

Sticky this!
GameWarrior2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
davlyn_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameWarrior2216 View Post
Sticky this!
yes, they should stick this tread :$
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
WoeIsMiko

Glad it worked for some! Didn't work for me...
WoeIsMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Knuckle

After changing this file to suit my resolution, I get a new error message that prevents me from continuing. What were the lines in the engine document originally? as I don't want to reinstall again, as i'm being prompted to do, it took long enough the first time.

Edit: Actually if you verify the integrity of the game cache, it restores the suspect file

Last edited by Knuckle: 06-21-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: solution
Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
God of Rock

By the way, if you cant find it, its under the section titled: [SystemSettings]

Im trying this now
Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
God of Rock

Wait, mine did not work. It goes to a black screen and tells me it stopped working >
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Kharr

Lightbulb Remember to install PhysX

I'm surprised that this thread doesn't mention installing PhysX from the nVidia site.

The game will crash/not start up if PhysX is not installed or if it is corrupt. (It should be installed even if you don't have an nVidia card since it uses the CPU in the absence of an nVidia card).

I personally had this problem when trying to play it. Installing PhysX fixed the crashing/not starting up.
Kharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
davlyn_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharr View Post
I'm surprised that this thread doesn't mention installing PhysX from the nVidia site.

I personally had this problem when trying to play it. Installing PhysX fixed the crashing/not starting up.

Strange, because i did not install physx, and the game work with the resolution fix, check for your gpu updates
Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Preak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
After changing this file to suit my resolution, I get a new error message that prevents me from continuing. What were the lines in the engine document originally? as I don't want to reinstall again, as i'm being prompted to do, it took long enough the first time.

Edit: Actually if you verify the integrity of the game cache, it restores the suspect file
The same thing is happening to me, changed the resolution in the file and the message wont lent the game to continue. If some one knows what to do with this problem, please share it with us.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
davlyn_20

They need to fix this quick, just check for gpu updates, and do this thing.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Fluff2770

so i've followed it but i had 2 go in to a file called DefaultEngine and then change it but now it says that the file is corrupted. help please!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
t0wardz

not solve
t0wardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mirror's Edge