Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Messedxupxnamex

What is wrong?

When I turn on my computer it has one long beep and I think its 2 short or 1 long. Its hard to tell. Nothing shows up on screen and my fans are running. I thought it was a ram problem so I bought new ram and still happens. I take out the ram and i get a different beep code (Missing Ram Code). So I look into it for more detail and it says monitor/video card problem so I'm like "hmm..." I take out my video card and still happens. Is my motherboard dead? Is my processor ok? If I replace the motherboard will I need to reformat?
Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
E6550
DS3L
Corsair XMS 2GB Ram
8600GTS
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Alexc26

Well, if its to do with graphics, it could be that the graphics card isn't getting enough power from the PSU, which means the graphics card might not be correctly connected to the PSU.

When I built my last PC I plugged in the graphics card etc, sorted it all out, and one of the power cables connecting my graphics card to the PSU and when I turned it on it would just have a long beep, I just plugged it back in, and it worked fine.

It might be the answer for you, but could be another problem which im sure other users on this forum can help with.
Alexc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexc26 View Post
Well, if its to do with graphics, it could be that the graphics card isn't getting enough power from the PSU, which means the graphics card might not be correctly connected to the PSU.

When I built my last PC I plugged in the graphics card etc, sorted it all out, and one of the power cables connecting my graphics card to the PSU and when I turned it on it would just have a long beep, I just plugged it back in, and it worked fine.

It might be the answer for you, but could be another problem which im sure other users on this forum can help with.
Even if my graphic card is not in the system...it still makes beeping noise.
Messedxupxnamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Alexc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messedxupxnamex View Post
Even if my graphic card is not in the system...it still makes beeping noise.
Ah, ok, hmm, ignore what I said then :P
Alexc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
borg_7_of_9

I'd say ya graphic's card is dead or bad psu!

The mobo will still beep the graphic's card code without a graphic's card plugged in!
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
I'd say ya graphic's card is dead or bad psu!

The mobo will still beep the graphic's card code without a graphic's card plugged in!
Well...im about to go to Frys Electronic and I will only have one shot at this because Frys is like 10 miles away from where I live.
I need a way to for sure determined answer.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
borg_7_of_9

if you have a multi meter check the voltages on the pcie power leads! if its close to 12 volts id saye the Graphic's card try testing this with the card in and fully connected you may have to do it on the back of the card where the pcie power plug's in! don't short anything if it's under 9V at this point id say psu! smell the gpu see if it smells burm't if it does gpu do the same at back of psu!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
if you have a multi meter check the voltages on the pcie power leads! if its close to 12 volts id saye the Graphic's card try testing this with the card in and fully connected you may have to do it on the back of the card where the pcie power plug's in! don't short anything if it's under 9V at this point id say psu! smell the gpu see if it smells burm't if it does gpu do the same at back of psu!
Well...my friend who has a similar set up to me except with a 8800GT, his card is not screwed in and sometimes it comes loose, and the computer still POST regularly. No Irregular beeps.
And if anyone can clarify...my beep sounds like DEEEEEEEEEEEE-DET-Det. All together.
And I do not have a multi-meter check. Fortunately...both GPU and PSU do not smell burnt.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
Well...my friend who has a similar set up to me except with a 8800GT, his card is not screwed in and sometimes it comes loose, and the computer still POST regularly. No Irregular beeps.
And if anyone can clarify...my beep sounds like DEEEEEEEEEEEE-DET-Det. All together.
And I do not have a multi-meter check. Fortunately...both GPU and PSU do not smell burnt.
motherboard manual will have beep codes in it! what mobo do you have?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
motherboard manual will have beep codes in it! what mobo do you have?
DS3L Gigabtye. Manual says its Monitor/Video Error. Im starting to suspect its my PCI-E Slot.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
borg_7_of_9

Quote:
DS3L Gigabtye. Manual says its Monitor/Video Error. Im starting to suspect its my PCI-E Slot.
1 long 2 short is graphic's card according to my gigabyte manual this is like my 12 build with a gigbyte mobo and they all seem the same!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
1 long 2 short is graphic's card according to my gigabyte manual this is like my 12 build with a gigbyte mobo and they all seem the same!
Yes, that is what my manual says too. Im starting to guess my PCI-E Slot is dead. If I replace my motherboard, Do I need to reinstall window? I don't want to lose all of my files!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
borg_7_of_9

most likely unless you get same mobo have you tried another graphic's card?

In 12 years i have never had a graphic's card slot fail only graphic's card's!

you will need to start in safe mode first to try uninstall all ya old mobo drivers if you a get new mobo good luck!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Messedxupxnamex

Quote:
most likely unless you get same mobo have you tried another graphic's card?

In 12 years i have never had a graphic's card slot fail only graphic's card's!

you will need to start in safe mode first to try uninstall all ya old mobo drivers if you a get new mobo good luck!
I currently do not have another graphic card to try. My friend's desktop graphic card comes loose ever so often but the computer starts up fine. He has a GA-P35-DS3R. All that happens on his computer is nothing on the screen.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
borg_7_of_9

It's up to you! Your friend may be lucky! I still doubt it's the mother board cos your bios is working and reporting the issue, at least you know the cpu is working as if it where not the bios would not be able to run and you would not get the post beep's you are getting!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems