Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > APB All Points Bulletin

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
MadBomber

does apb support controllers?

anyone get a contorller to work? ive tired like 3 different ones and nothing is working. If anyone can help me out id appricaite it

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Cryaotic

Pretty sure it doesn't, but now that I think about it, a controller COULD be beneficial to the game.

Though I personally prefer the keyboard and mouse, a controller wouldn't be bad for those who are used to them. Though I think they would be at a disadvantage when it came to shooting people (most console shooters have some very minuscule form of auto-aim to assist the joystick aiming) and if they added auto-aim to the PC version, I'd cry on the inside.

If it turns out they already have auto-aiming, then I'm just being stupid and didn't realize it.

Anyways, as of right now, as far as I know, no controller support.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
CptManhole

I can only see a controller being useful for driving. I'm still hating the car physics. :/

Earlier I traded paint with a garbage truck on the side, and guess what happened? My car flew into the air, did a 180, and flipped over...
FAIL.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
MadBomber

well i understand it would be disadvantage for most ppl, but due to breaking my left hand 3x, I have a huge handicap trying to stretch my hand out to hit buttons on my keyboard.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Kamun

I can confirm that an Xbox 360 controller works.. I accidentally nudged my controller while playing it and it moved the character. Picked it up and started to use it.. works fine.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
MadBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamun View Post
I can confirm that an Xbox 360 controller works.. I accidentally nudged my controller while playing it and it moved the character. Picked it up and started to use it.. works fine.
Can you try to program some keys and tell me if it lets you? I already bought a ps2 adapter and a pc controller, i dont wanna go buy a xbox 360 controller only for it to fail. Btw is yours wireless?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Retnil

These two threads should help out on the 360 controller issue

http://na.apb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5124
http://na.apb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4074

Old 06-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Vetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBomber View Post
Can you try to program some keys and tell me if it lets you? I already bought a ps2 adapter and a pc controller, i dont wanna go buy a xbox 360 controller only for it to fail. Btw is yours wireless?
I have a wireless 360 controller - I was able to program the various buttons just fine.

I usually use gamepad for most of the games I play, however In my opinion I found it much easier to play APB on a mouse / keyboard due to number of buttons required - there simply isn't enough on the controller and I ended up having to use the mouse keyboard anyway for various stuff. It should work ok for something like driving or running & shooting though.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Dragunovhun

Banned
AFAIK the game only supports the 360 controller right now.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Kamun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunovhun View Post
AFAIK the game only supports the 360 controller right now.
I originally only bought my controller to play Beat Hazard.. I had no idea SO many games I played (older and newer) supported it NATIVELY!

I was playing Borderlands just last week, and being reminded how much I didn't quite like the keyboard and mouse controls, so I saw my controller, thinking "... No." Then I picked it up, moved a stick. My character moved.

To my surprise, all the controls were already mapped out to match the Xbox 360 version of the game.

I awesomefaced.

Games so far I can use NATIVELY without setting ANY settings in the actual game: Dragon Age: Origins, L4D, L4D2, Beat Hazard, APB, Audiosurf, Blur (I was surprised at this one), Borderlands, Just Cause 2, Magic: The Gathering - DotP, Need for Speed: Undercover, Resident Evil 5 (This game has all its controls mapped out for the controller, and even displays the buttons on the pad, unlike RE4 which just shows button numbers), Rumble Fighter, and Trackmania United.

I'm downloading Dead Space right now, and I remember that it supported my PS2 gamepad before.. I'm gonna try it with my 360 controller.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
Bungle

Banned
Honestly, the time has come for all PC gamers to own 360 gamepads. I understand love for Logitech or whatever, but my life has been very easy since I got a regular wired 360 gamepad. No muss, no fuss in the games I use it with.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Smertnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamun View Post
I'm downloading Dead Space right now, and I remember that it supported my PS2 gamepad before.. I'm gonna try it with my 360 controller.
Don't worry, it works just fine.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
tet5uo

Banned
Dead space is awesome!

/end OT
Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Brannagan

could never use a pad, i find the aiming horrendous and slow but maybe for the driving part, yeah would prolly help
Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Zan Mura

A controller would effectively be a suicide in anything but driving. I don't see why you would want to use it in what's essentially an FPS, the kind of game that's the home field of mouse + keyboard. This is not a matter of opinion, been tested and tried multiple times in controller vs mouse & keyb tournaments, where there's not even any competition.

Not trying to bash you here, just saying how it is. If you find it fun, go for it. But remember that you're effectively harming the experiences of the people who wind up with a digital cripple in their team.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > APB All Points Bulletin