Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV

Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
greenmonalisa

Ultimate Oblivion Modder's Resource Guide

First and foremost - if you find this thread useful, please give +rep, rate the thread, and request a sticky so others may find it easily also.

What my hopes for this thread are:

I want this thread to be a one stop resource for anyone interested in Oblivion mods. There will be three distinct sections:

1. My pre-packaged Oblivion Mods. These will be the mods that I use when I play my version of “Vanilla” Oblivion. I use the big three (OOO, MMM, and Fran's all combined with FCOM) along with many texture replacements and patches and other mods that just make Oblivion so much better. They are all OMOD ready, and will include instructions in this post. This is a great first stop for anyone wanting to do something different with their game.

2. Mod of the Week. Every week I will post my mod of the week that I find to be very interesting and/or useful. It might be something I install and try out and later decide to go with my normal mods, or it might be something that I end up keeping installed as it helps enhance the experience permanently. I will also take any suggestions from others who have found great mods and will post 1 or 2 along with my mod of the week. All of these requests should come in a pm so they're easier to distinguish between normal forum posts. All “mod of the week” mods will also be converted to OMOD ready by me and uploaded alongside my compilation for your download pleasure.

3. General Q/A Troubleshoot. I want this to be a place where people can come to ask questions and offer suggestions. This section will be updated daily (as time permits, maybe bi-daily sometimes) on any issues that may have come up during an install or general questions regarding modding.

This above information will be removed if/when this thread is stickied.

Before we get started, I need to state a few things:

I take no credit for any of these Mods, as they are just re-packaged OMOD versions of what were already created. If you are curious as to who created these mods and what else they might have to offer, feel free to Google the mod name or search any of the regular mod sites (noted below) to see what they pull up.

I give credit to camartin001 in this thread for list of mods and steps. Although I had most of my pre-packaged ones already since they're basically a staple to my game, I took heed to a couple of his mods and his steps.

I also give credit to Sir Subtle and his thread here as it also contains a lot of the information that I will be including in mine and I hope he doesn't think I'm a jerk

Now, let's get started!

My prepackaged Oblivion mods.
You can find all of my prepackaged Oblivion mods here on Megaupload in a rar package. You need to download each part and then start extracting the "part 1" file which will then pull in from the other files. They are all in OMOD format (except for a couple that are .exe) so they are easily installed with Oblivion Mod Manager (also included in the rar file).

What it includes:
  1. Alive Waters
  2. Armamentarium Complete
  3. Arthur's Natural Environments 2.95 and patch 2.97
  4. Atmospheric Oblivion and the update
  5. Better Cities 4.5.2b and the resources
  6. Better Oblivion Sorting Software 1.52 and Masterlist
  7. Bob's Armory
  8. Darnified UI 1.3.2
  9. Francescos Leveled Creatures and New Items
  10. Francescos Optional New Items and Creatures
  11. HGEC Body
  12. Illumination Within Revived 0.9.2
  13. Improved Facial Textures
  14. Improved Trees and Flora
  15. Improved Trees and Flora 2 and the update
  16. Lost Spires and the Unique Landscape Patch
  17. Map Marker Overhaul 3.5.1
  18. Mart's Monster Mod 3.7b and the Unique Landscapes Patch
  19. Midas Magic Spells and Patch
  20. More Immersive Sounds and the Patch
  21. Natural Faces
  22. Oblivion Mod Manager
  23. Oblivion Script Extender
  24. Oblivion Stereo Sound Overhaul
  25. Oblivion Warcry and Patch
  26. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Complete 1.33 and Patch
  27. Qarl's Texture Pack 3
  28. Quick Start
  29. Storms & Sounds and Patch
  30. Symphony of Violence
  31. FCOM 0.9.9 with Unofficial update
  32. Unique Landscapes Compilation 1.5.4
  33. Unofficial Oblivion patch 3.2 with 3.2.6 patch
  34. Unofficial Oblivion Mods Patch
  35. Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch 1.4
  36. Wrye Bash 2.85
  37. Wrye Python

Install steps:

Pre-mod steps:
  1. Pre-Step 1: Install OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager)
  2. Pre-Step 2: Install BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) and copy over the Masterlist into the Oblivion>Data directory that BOSS is installed to
  3. Pre-Step 3: Install OBSE (note, the one I have packed will not work with Steam – install OBSE using the thread posted here
  4. Pre-Step 4: Install Wrye Python
  5. Pre-Step 5: Install Wrye Bash 285

Now, you should have a folder called mods in your Oblivion>obmm directory. If not, create one and place all the OMOD files inside of it (the ones with the Oblivion icon). Start up OBMM and you should see the list of mods that are in OBMM form. To install these, all you have to do is click to highlight one and then click “Activate”.

Install the mods in the order below. Please note that some mods may ask if you have other mods installed – pay attention and choose the correct answers And always overwrite existing files.
  1. Unofficial Oblivion patch 3.2 with 3.2.6 patch
  2. Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch 1.4
  3. Unofficial Oblivion Mods Patch
  4. Quick Start
  5. Arthur's Natural Environments 2.95 and patch 2.97
  6. Alive Waters
  7. Unique Landscapes Compilation 1.5.4
  8. Improved Trees and Flora
  9. Improved Trees and Flora 2 and the update
  10. Illumination Within Revived 0.9.2
  11. Better Cities 4.5.2b and the resources
  12. Qarl's Texture Pack 3
  13. Lost Spires and the Unique Landscape Patch
  14. Darnified UI 1.3.2
  15. Map Marker Overhaul 3.5.1
  16. Oblivion Stereo Sound Overhaul
  17. Storms & Sounds and Patch
  18. More Immersive Sounds and the Patch
  19. Atmospheric Oblivion and the update
  20. Symphony of Violence
  21. HGEC Body
  22. Natural Faces
  23. Improved Facial Textures

Now, if you do not want to fundamentally change how you will play Oblivion in terms of difficulty, monster types, and basically how much skill is needed, only install Warcry for new items/enemies/better rebalancing, Bob's Armory for more toys to play with, Armamentarium Complete for some new storyline and items, and Mida's Magic Spells for more spells to be able to use. If you want the whole new experience, install all of the mods below

Also note that at some point during the installation of the below steps, you will be asked if you want to rename MMM.bsa to FCOM_Convergence_Mart'sMonsterMod.bsa – say YES
  1. Francescos Leveled Creatures and New Items (the installer)
When installing, ONLY choose the following:
  1. Shivering Isles Version
  2. Lyrondor's Combat Behavior
  3. MOBS
  4. Hardcore Loot
  5. Living Economy
  6. Optional Leveled Guards
  7. Optional Chance of More Enemies
  8. Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies
  9. Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses
  10. New Items Add-On
  11. DO NOT MERGE OPTIONAL FILES WHEN PROMPTED
  1. Francescos Optional New Items and Creatures (the installer)
When installing, ONLY choose the following:
  1. New Items Add-On
  2. BSA File Registration
  1. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul Complete 1.33 and Patch
  2. Oblivion Warcry and Patch
  3. Bob's Armory
  4. Armamentarium Complete
  5. Midas Magic Spells and Patch
  6. Mart's Monster Mod 3.7b and the Unique Landscapes Patch
  7. FCOM 0.9.9 with Unofficial update

After all these steps, make sure you have a FCOM_Convergence_Mart'sMonsterMod.bsa in your Data folder. If you do not, rename MMM.bsa to this.

Now, in OBMM, on the right click Utilities>Archive Invalidation.
Only the following options should be ticked:
  1. BSA Alteration
  2. Textures
  3. Generate archiveinvalidation entries on hash collision
Click “Update now”

Next, go into your Oblivion>Mopy> Extras directory and copy “Bashed Patch, 0.esp” into your Oblivion>Data directory.

In your Oblivion>Mopy directory, run “Wrye Bash Launcher”.

In your list there should be the Bashed Patch, 0.esp file. Click the box to check it. Right click on it and choose “Rebuild Patch”.

Make sure “Alias Mod Names” and “Leveled Lists” are checked. Click “OK” and let it merge.

Exit Wrye Bash and run BOSS in your Oblivion >Data directory and it will update your loading order.

You should now be finished. Start up Oblivion, make sure in the “Data Files” section that all mods are checked so that they load, and fire up your game!

Mod of the Week.
My compilation! Send me ideas

General Q&A/Troubleshoot
Quote:
Where can I go to search for mods to download?
There are two main websites that people use to download mods. Those are TES Nexus and Planet Elder Scrolls.

Quote:
Most, if not all, of the time when I exit the game Oblivion crashes and is a pain to shut down. What gives and how can I fix it?
Unfortunately, this is one of the drawbacks of installing mods; most people will experience this. There is an alternate method of quitting the game that some people say helps, and although my game still crashes upon exit, it does make the actual process of quitting faster.

All you need to do is open the console (by default the key is ` [tilde]) and type in qqq. The console will say "Bye" and Oblivion will shut down.

Quote:
Why can't I use Anti aliasing and HDR?
I'm guessing Oblivion put this limitation in to make it so players did not "Overkill" their game. Now that it is a few years old, most rigs can handle the load and so there is a work-around. All you need to do is enable HDR in-game and in your graphics card control panel, set the Oblivion executable to have Anti aliasing forced.

Quote:
This is a great thread, but do you know any outside sources that are great too?
This is a great source to look at with a lot of information, thanks Washell!

Last edited by greenmonalisa: 06-20-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added some Q&A info
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
JagFel

Your links all 404 for me, don't preface the urls with 'www.xn--http-fb7a.com//'.
JagFel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
greenmonalisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFel View Post
Your links all 404 for me, don't preface the urls with 'www.xn--http-fb7a.com//'.
Fixed now

Last edited by greenmonalisa: 06-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.
greenmonalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
XxSkArReDxX

SOMEONE STICKY THIS. EPIC THREAD. by the way what is vanilla oblivion?
XxSkArReDxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
greenmonalisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSkArReDxX View Post
SOMEONE STICKY THIS. EPIC THREAD. by the way what is vanilla oblivion?
Vanilla Oblivion is the term used for when you play Oblivion normally without any mods. I've grown so accustomed to using mods that the mod pack I have installed is considered my "Vanilla Oblivion".
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Toto pectore

Wow, nice, I'm gonna try all of this stuff
Toto pectore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
sytto

Sticky please.
sytto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
Washell

This is what an ultimate guide should look like.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
greenmonalisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
This is what an ultimate guide should look like.
I'm getting there! That guide has been around for almost 4 years, give me some time
Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #10
ibitato

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonalisa View Post
I'm getting there! That guide has been around for almost 4 years, give me some time
Don't listen to trolls....

You're doing a fine job, it's allways welcomed when ppl contribute to the gaming community, with something positive......

I hope more ppl would spend some time giving something to the community ......

Keep the good work.

Guide bookmarked.
ibitato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
ApOkwARG

Thank you for providing us with this glorious thread, I like where this is going! It is something I have been searching for a while now. What I like so much about your approach is that you try to keep it close to the original, keeping it free from bloat and bs/crap mods. I have actually done much of the same thing for Fallout 3, we are much alike
I do have some comments though:

- Please inform the readers about the "control+left-click" option to enable "yes to all"! It saves so much time, lol.
- You say "pay attention and choose the correct answers". The noob (i'm more of a FO3 guy myself) never knows the correct answers, it is very vague! Could you please go into more detail about this? In particular regarding the Better Cities, Map Marker Overhaul and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mods. They had some interesting/confusing pop-up questions Perhaps you could provide the reader with a more detailed installation process?
- I take it you would go for an amount of realism that is acceptable but not overly hardcore. Maybe you could shape your guide with that in mind? (I'm referring to some of the pop-up questions that offer customization to many of the game rules in favor of realism, eg. what are your personal recommendations/your take on question x?)
- In one of the steps you make mention of "FCOM 0.9.9 with Unofficial update" however there is only one file, it's called "uFCOM 0.9.9.omod". I assume that the update has already been integrated?
- You mention to make sure you have "FCOM_Convergence_Mart'sMonsterMod.bsa in your Data folder" and if you do not, rename "MMM.bsa to this."
The thing is, I cannot find both of these files. There is also no mention of it (or something similar) in the masterlist. I found a file called "FCOM_Convergence - MMM.bsa" though but is this the one you mean?

Again, much thanks for taking your time making this thread! Sorry for the questions but I want to hear it from the expert!

Last edited by ApOkwARG: 06-22-2010 at 04:52 PM.
ApOkwARG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibitato View Post
Don't listen to trolls....
If I build a 100ft tall building and claim it's the tallest in the world, someone is going to point out it isn't.

If OP bundles a bunch of mods and provides installation instructions and calls it 'easy pre-made oblivion install', no-one would have said a thing.

But OP called his thread the 'Ultimate Oblivion Modder's Resource Guide'. I just pointed out that his 100ft tall building is a bit smaller than the 2717ft of the Burj Khalifa. If that's trolling these days, we may as well shut off the internet.

I'll concede that I could have phrased it a bit nicer, e.g. 'Look how this guy wrote such a guide, you may have to add a bit to live up to your thread title! ', but I was having a grouchy day.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
ibitato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
If I build a 100ft tall building and claim it's the tallest in the world, someone is going to point out it isn't.

If OP bundles a bunch of mods and provides installation instructions and calls it 'easy pre-made oblivion install', no-one would have said a thing.

But OP called his thread the 'Ultimate Oblivion Modder's Resource Guide'. I just pointed out that his 100ft tall building is a bit smaller than the 2717ft of the Burj Khalifa. If that's trolling these days, we may as well shut off the internet.

I'll concede that I could have phrased it a bit nicer, e.g. 'Look how this guy wrote such a guide, you may have to add a bit to live up to your thread title! ', but I was having a grouchy day.

That's the whole point, for sure.

Gaming community needs the effort, that it's reinforced by good and positive critics.....

So OP, get your hands dirty and fix that pile of you posted , LOL /jk.

I hope the guide gets better and better.

for ppl like me, with little time to game (or everything else), these resources are just like a nitro tank on the race.....
ibitato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
nicholson101

This guide is very thorough and has plenty of useful tips which for a moderate noob to modding is really useful, so a big thank you!

Couple of quick questions

1. would this have any problems working with Windows 7 x64?

2. Some of the first steps require you to install some of the core programs (BOSS/OBSE etc...) some, however, don't have installers eg. BOSS and i was wondering if you can amend the guide to include a quick instruction for where to unzip these to.

I tried installing all this last night and unfortunately it wouldn't then load the game (brief black screen then back to desktop) so i would recommend to curious experimenters to back up the vanilla version (Steamapps/oblivion) before starting! which i didn't *D'oh!*

But many thanks again for all your hard work on this +rep
nicholson101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Fusoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson101 View Post
2. Some of the first steps require you to install some of the core programs (BOSS/OBSE etc...) some, however, don't have installers eg. BOSS and i was wondering if you can amend the guide to include a quick instruction for where to unzip these to.
Instructions for installing BOSS should be included in a readme in the zip.

Brandon
Fusoya is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls IV