Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
ChIck3n

{MERGED]-there was a problem with your steam installation, Please reinstall steam

I keep getting this error when I start steam:

Steam-Error
There was a problem with your steam installation.
Please reinstall Steam.

I tried the repair install, no dice. I am backing up my steam folder to try a full reinstall (57 GB, takes about an hour to back it up ), and figured I would ask if there was an easier fix. Redownloading all my games is not an option, as that would take a month on my connection.

This just started a few minutes ago after a restart. I usually don't turn off my computer but once every few weeks to update windows. Before restarting I was playing Portal just fine.

I am on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit with an E8400 CPU, 4GB RAM, 3TB HDD space, 2x GTX 275 in SLI, 780i mobo, 1100 watt PSU, and plenty of fans.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
nojohnny

After backing up your games, try a proper uninstall, reboot, downloading the latest installer from here:
http://store.steampowered.com/about/
and install.
nojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
ChIck3n

Still not working. First time I ran it after reinstall I got
"Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR:delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is Denied""

It wasn't marked read only and I am the only user on this computer. After I ran it again it threw the same "reinstall steam" error.
ChIck3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
XMorbius

I was having this same issue, but fixed it. I uninstalled Steam, ran an sfc /scannow on my system, and it repaired some files. A reboot and reinstall later Steam was working.

Hope that helps!
XMorbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
heychief

XMorbius is right. In my error I found that somehow SpyBoy Search and Destroy stop working same time Steam stopped working. When I started search and destroy it said missing "imagehlp.dll" file. Also when I tried to run half-life 1 opposing force hl.exe it said missing imagehlp.dll. I downloaded a copy from the internet and put it the same directory as steam.exe and it worked. So if you see this error somewhere else that's probally the case.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
window_wind

Possible Fix: Go to your steam folder then delete/move tier0_s.dll that fixed this error for me.
window_wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
karatedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by window_wind View Post
Possible Fix: Go to your steam folder then delete/move tier0_s.dll that fixed this error for me.
This error occurred to me after my video driver crashed under XP (the 4 bit color effect with 640x480 resolution) When I reinstalled the video drivers, Steam started to show this error.
Removing tier0_s.dll didn't help. Then I gave it a wild thought, and removed all Steam occurrences from ZoneAlarm firewall rules, and let ZA it add again.
Then Steam started and authenticated me (what never did on previous attempts), and it works fine.
karatedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Raven#Sanctum

I just got this problem. Anyone got a fix?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
helloween

Quote:
it seems fixed for me. Thanks so much.
helloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
Supersith

Quote:
Tried this but all that happened was it said it was updating then restarted steam and gave me the same error.

Anyone else got any ideas?

EDIT: So I figured out the problem for my system anyways. I had set my "Current Language for non-Unicode programs" to Japanese to run some programs and apparently this blocked steam from updating correctly? I changed it back to English and bam steam magically works again.

Last edited by Supersith: 09-03-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Found Solution
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
s0mme

Quote:
I delete it and then it runs, but it runs just to update steam, in the update it reinstalls that file.

I have already uninstalled/reinstalled steam and it worked, then a few hours later it wasn't working due to this issue ch1ck3n was having again.

Help please
s0mme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
ensabah

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0mme View Post
I delete it and then it runs, but it runs just to update steam, in the update it reinstalls that file.

I have already uninstalled/reinstalled steam and it worked, then a few hours later it wasn't working due to this issue ch1ck3n was having again.

Help please
Same as this guy. I tryed all the things above and none work. So i guess i have to reinstal my os for this :| !?
ensabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Paladin74

as for me, turning the windows brandmower off, helps.
Paladin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
LTSwordmaster

Quote:
OMG! I was having panic attacks all yesterday because I thought I lost my Steam stuff - I could not get it to start. Deleting the tier0_s.dll was not working as of yesterday, but I tried it ~right this second~ after turning my PC on for the morning......it worked! I swear, I'm freaking worshiping you right now, it worked (and I have Steam access again)!
LTSwordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Son Goku

Quote:
This worked for me too thanks man
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips