Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sam & Max series > Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse

Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Wackoweasel

Sam & Max 303: Game breaking glitch

*SPOILER ALERT*

At the part where Sam is battling Skunkape, the game gets stuck in a loop. Every now and then, the speech choice thing comes up, but I never get enough time to click on any of the speech options before it plays the same scene like 20 more times. Eventually, after looping itself enough, the game crashed. I have no idea what caused this to happen, but it is preventing me from completing this episode.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Shelltoon

I'm getting the same problem too. Don't know what's wrong, I'd like to FINISH this game if possible...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Darth Z

Weird, I just finished it and didn't have this problem. Could it have been some option you chose that was incorrect?

What exactly are you picking that starts this glitch.
Darth Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Wackoweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Z View Post
Weird, I just finished it and didn't have this problem. Could it have been some option you chose that was incorrect?

What exactly are you picking that starts this glitch.
I give the brain remover to Sammun-Mak, then the fight scene initiates, then it keeps repeating the same scene of the fight over and over again up until the game crashes. I'm gonna try playing the game again from the top and not using Max's teleportation before the fight scene to see if it doesn't happen again. I did use Max's teleportation and rhinoplasty powers A LOT after the reality altered, and that could be the cause of it(I noticed Credit Card Max laying around at one point even though Max was in his brain form strapped to Sam's back, which was weird but also hilarious). I could even talk to this Credit Card Max as if he were normal Max.

Last edited by Wackoweasel: 06-22-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Wackoweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
FunkyCris

I also have this glitch. It seems to be only with the Steam version, as people on the Telltale forums using steam are reporting the same bug. Some are saying they managed to complete the steam version but I don't see how this glitch can only happen with some and not others.

What makes it worse is that after the scene glitch-loops everal times, the action selector MIGHT pop up, but before I can actually pick anything it carries on with the loop!

So far this seems to be the most buggy Sam & Max episode to date.

Last edited by FunkyCris: 06-23-2010 at 05:51 AM.
FunkyCris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
in.meinem.turm.

no problems here (steam version)
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Doc Baconlegs

I have experienced this bug as well, and it seems most likely we will have to wait for a patch. I doubt there is any way around this. Untested methods that might circumvent this loop could be:

1. Turning up the Hint Level - Hints might add some quip mid-fight that could break the cycle or give you enough time to respond.

2. Re-installing the Episode - I belive your save-games will not be harmed during reinstall. Verifying the game cache could do the same.

3. Starting a new game - The last resort.
Doc Baconlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
ShadeFawks

Hint level did squat for me, along with Verifying Cache as well.
I will try reinstalling it fully later I guess.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Doc Baconlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeFawks View Post
Hint level did squat for me, along with Verifying Cache as well.
I will try reinstalling it fully later I guess.
I figured those wouldn't work, but it's all I've got.
I belive the save-games are saved in the My Documents folder, but it might be a good idea to back it up just in case: We don't know if the glitch is from the save-game or from the game itself.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
FunkyCris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Baconlegs View Post
I figured those wouldn't work, but it's all I've got.
I belive the save-games are saved in the My Documents folder, but it might be a good idea to back it up just in case: We don't know if the glitch is from the save-game or from the game itself.
I just backed up my saves, deleted local game files for 303, and re-downloaded/re-installed the game, and played from the backed up save.

Still no progress
Another possibility would be deleting your saves, starting from scratch and NEVER leaving the De Soto at the Museum and using Max's powers to teleport to the C.O.P.S/Museum, ALWAYS driving there? Really can't be bothered to play though again right now though
FunkyCris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Doc Baconlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyCris View Post
Another possibility would be deleting your saves, starting from scratch and NEVER leaving the De Soto at the Museum and using Max's powers to teleport to the C.O.P.S/Museum, ALWAYS driving there?
That is an interesting theory. Bizzare, but it could bring out a different result. I'll give this a try.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
in.meinem.turm.

the deSoto was at museum for me 90% of the time (I traveled to the other places via Max) and I did not run into the problem.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Doc Baconlegs

According to a thread at the Telltale forums, leaving the DeSoto at the Museum is the most likely cause. However, once you've got all three requirements met to meet Sammun-Mak, you can't get Sam to leave the Museum by car.

I'm playing it from the beginning to test it, but THEROY: Don't teleport away from the Museum if you can help it; Use the DeSoto. This is the only factor I think we can control.

Last edited by Doc Baconlegs: 06-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Darth Postal

Same problem here.
Tried all kind of stuff to get past it. Only managed to get some desktop crashes. Deffinately the most bugged episode ever.
Darth Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Baconlegs View Post
According to a thread at the Telltale forums, leaving the DeSoto at the Museum is the most likely cause.
what thread and who was assuming that?
If it was not one of the developers that's just an assumption by a user and not any kind of proof.
I left the DeSoto there almost all the time and had no problems.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sam & Max series > Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse