Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source > CSS Beta

Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Echo

Hidden Path Entertainment
Tickrate change: Set to 66, -tickrate removed

The next update will remove -tickrate and default it to 66.

Tickrate has a host of side effects on network code, weapon firing speeds, force impulses (like throwing weapons), and physics, and this will help us create a more consistent experience for Counter-Strike.

<edited to not give the wrong impression with the first statement>

Last edited by Echo: 06-22-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Phat Andy

Will the default rates for everyone be set at 66 or will it still be 20 30?
Phat Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Echo

Hidden Path Entertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Andy View Post
Will the default rates for everyone be set at 66 or will it still be 20 30?
It's 20-30 right now, but this may be something we update soon.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
m0dkip

oh mah gawd :<
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
NathanMc

Holy crap! Thank youuuuuu, finally someone who knows what they're doing working on the game.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
raydan

Don't remove -tickrate
bhop server need 100 tickrate!!!
raydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
m0dkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
I'm stickying this because it's sure to generate some passionate responses.

In the next update, tickrate will be removed as a command-line server parameter, and will always be 66.

Tickrate has a host of side effects on network code, weapon firing speeds, force impulses (like throwing weapons), and physics, and this will help us create a more consistent experience for Counter-Strike.
So do you think 66 tick is better then 100 for competitive gaming?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
joyinho

Why would it be locked at 66 tick and not 100 tick? Not only will this limit the freedom of choice to set a server to a tickrate that they are more comfortable, this will also lead to lower precision. I understand that it requires more from both servers and clients but surely setting the bar lower is not a solution.

A lot of people run on 100 tick and with this being implemented it will force the users to lower the quality of their servers. Even if there is a standard of 66 tick implemented it shouldnt be forced upon players.

People play on 100 tick servers for a reason and its quite straightforward. At the moment players have a choice of the servers they join and especially for the different groups of players certain tickrates are more appropriate (especially when comparing competitive and public players.) Though in this case even the public players tend to prefer 100tick servers.
joyinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
hisham.albeik

This will def. generate a lot of "passionate" responses from the community.

What i'm more concerned about is, "Next Update"!??!

This confuses me, because it seems like there will be a Beta running alongside the full release?

What Mac version will be released? It has to be this current beta. So in other words we have few scenarios..

1) Beta and New CSS alongside each other, where the beta will be used to test different functionality and get feedbacks prior to releasing to the public. (Most likely)

2) Beta will end, and every update will released to the public, at which point this sub-forum will be merged or closed so feedback can be done in a single place.

I thought I had a third, but it doesn't make sense.. 3) Macs have their own version of CSS than the others!!!
hisham.albeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
styuR

get in contact with zblock, they fixed most of the errors related to tickrate back in the day
and will it be released tomorrow, in line with valves promise to release mac games every wednesday?

Last edited by styuR: 06-22-2010 at 05:45 PM.
styuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
PLAction

Yeah contact zBlock.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
hisham.albeik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
and this will help us create a more consistent experience for Counter-Strike.
A consistent experience for Counter-Strike should be implemented from server to server. In this game, people shouldn't expect the exact same experience on different servers.

With different plugins and mods available, each server is different. Having to choose server tickrate is part of that experience.

If people find themselves that it's too much/little recoil/physics/R.O.F. for that tickrate, then they can join a server will a different tick rate.

I'd like to see also what differences are we talking about. If I randomly choose to join a server, I'm more likely to get 66 than 33, and then next in the list would be a 100 tickrate server, then the least common would be a 33 tickrate.

Everyone who has trouble with higher tickrates simply have insufficient hardware to accomodate those tickrates. If you know you want to play on 100 tickrates then you have the hardware and network connection to support it. Or you've setup your client in such a way to get most FPS and least amount of lag.

Again, I might sound like I'm talking both, for and against this. But really the choice has to be with the people, and what needs to be changed (MAYBE) is the default values.

Nearly everyone who gets on a server, get rated by an admin, and then told to change their rates to 101, 101, 30000. Less experienced people would set their rates depending on what server they join. If they join 66, the change rates, if the moved to a 100, they change again. The least experienced people, wouldn't have even enabled console yet.

This is a learning experience. This game taught me a lot about networking. Sure, things i could've learned online, but it gave me the initiative.

On the other hand: I don't know how much this will change in the large scale. I play on a server that runs on 66tick and wish they could run at 100 tick, but they have a server that fills up to 52 people and the map is cs_office, without using a no-block plugin. I'm glad they disable smokes! I get good ping and fps on it. I rarely experience any no-regs.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
hisham.albeik

Quote:
Originally Posted by styuR View Post
get in contact with zblock, they fixed most of the errors related to tickrate back in the day
and will it be released tomorrow, in line with valves promise to release mac games every wednesday?
They'll be surprised. The promise is long gone. They said FEW weeks, it's been a lot longer than that, and they removed the banner about it. So i'm saying the Mac CS:S will be on Thursday (if released).

but this info might change few things.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
PLAction

Dude hisham.albeik it's no use.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
teddydood

What has gone through your minds Hidden Path...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source > CSS Beta