Join Date: Oct 2007
CSS Update: FAQs and Possible Fixes for Common Bugs
If you're looking for help, please read "Before Posting: Troubleshooting methods and How to get Help
", then continue on down here. (You can do it the other way round as well). These below including this first link, will answer most of your questions, and will most probably solve your problem.
Counter-Strike Source Beta has been re-opened for all owners of CS:S. Click here for more information.
CSS Update FAQ (June 23, 2010)
Last update July 23, 2010
- What's new in the update?
This update includes the upgrading of the game to the Orange Box engine.
This engine upgrade introduces a whole host of fixes and improvements, such as hugely improved netcode and hit registration and multi-core rendering support. This is the same engine that TF2 and DOD:S are currently running on (Source 2009).
The primary reason for the port (other than being a previously promised upgrade), is to bring the game to Mac systems.
In addition to the engine upgrade, Valve has also included several multiplayer features: such as achievements (145), player stats, cinematic death camera shots (or freezecams), new scoreboard with Steam avatars, and a new MVP win panel at the end of the match.
- I don't like [this feature]. Can it be removed? Can I disable it?
▪ Cinematic death camera shots (or deathcams, killcams): you can. Client-side, go to Options > Multiplayer > Advanced and uncheck it. Server-side, you can use the command sv_disablefreezecam 1 (If the server is set to force spectate to team only or no-spectate then freeze cam is automatically disabled.).
▪ Dominations & revenges: using the command sv_nonemesis 1 server-side.
▪ MVP panel & stars: using the command sv_nomvp 1 server-side.
The MVP panel can also be disabled using a client side cvar: cl_nowinpanel 1
A global server side cvar can also be used: sv_nowinpanel 1
▪ Stats with Steam: using the command sv_nostats 1 server-side. This also disables the ability to earn achievements.
▪ Achievements: using the client side command cl_show_achievement_popup 0 stops the achievements from being displayed when they are earned.
▪ HUD Hint Sound: A squishy sound at the start of round, and whenever information is presented/updated in the lower-middle part of the HUD (like voting info, and countdown timers). To disable type in console: cl_hudhint_sound 0
- What is the dominations and revenge system
▪ Whenever you kill someone 4 times or more in a single map, you are considered dominating the person.
▪ Whenever you get killed 4 times or more in a single map by the same person, they are dominating you.
▪ Whenever a player that is being dominated kills the dominating player, a broken chain link appears in the death notice, indicating a revenge.
▪ Icons for domination, and revenge appear multiple times, on death notices, in the scoreboard, and on deathcams.
- Why is the server browser showing me an icon list? Can we get the old server browser?
The current server browser is defaulted, to show you the best server per map in an icon/thumbnail list. To revert to list view, simply uncheck "Simplified List" on the bottom of the server browser.
- There are too many Achievements displayed in the chatbox, I can't follow in on the chats. Is there a way to hide them?
Yes. When you press Y (default) to chat. There is a filters button on the top right corner of the chat box. Click on it, then a window will appear with multiple filter options. Uncheck the option "Achievement announce".
- How do I set/change my clan tag?
Clan tags are associated with a steam group you've joined. Assuming you have joined the steam group for your clan; then all you need to do is goto Options->Multiplayer->Advanced. There is a drop down list next to the label "Clan Tag". Clicking on it will list all the steam groups you're associated with, and you can choose one.
- The score board is different, can we revert to the old style?
▪ Short answer: No.
▪ Long answer: There is no option to revert the scoreboard back to the previous settings, but there is a manual way you can get the old scoreboard back. It involves using the old files and creating a custom scoreboard. (I will not delve into this any further as it is out of the scope of this FAQ.
▪ You can also customize the colors of names in the scoreboard using:
▪ For clan tags you can use the following:
cl_scoreboard_ct_color_*, cl_scoreboard_t_color_*, cl_scoreboard_dead_color_*
cl_scoreboard_clan_ct_color_*, cl_scoreboard_clan_t_color_*, cl_scoreboard_clan_dead_color_*
- The new scoreboard has lots of information! I don't even understand half of them!!
You'll get used to the scoreboard once you acquaint yourself with it's features.
▪ On the top you'll find the map name, server name, whether stats are enabled or disabled, and the timeleft for the map.
▪ The two big numbers off-centered in the bored refer to the score for each team.
▪ Below the team names are the amount of people alive out of the full compliment in each team.
▪ Then follows the list of players on each team.
▪ Between the player's name and their avatar can be either the ClanTag of that player, or a blank space (if the player has not setup one).
▪ Stars next to people's names showing that they received an MVP Award (most kills of the round or winning action like defusing the bomb, or rescuing hostages, or the planter of the bomb if it's detonated.)
▪ The number on the upper right corner of the stars shows how many MVP Awards a player has recieved. (with no numbers meaning 1)
▪ There are two red icons that can appear next to the location of the stars (never both on the same player).
- A devil icon shows that this person is dominating you.▪ A skull is a dead player, this is also indicated by greying out the players name. (The skull will overlap the domination indicators, you'll still be able to tell the difference between dominator and dominated.)
- A person with a target around the head shows that you are dominating the person.
- Why was [this feature] removed/changed? Bring it back, Valve!
Originally Valve decided that game play features will not be altered. However, due to community requests a few gameplay features have been modified as per their request. The few things that have been altered are as follows:
▪ Names: they are now synced with your Steam name, as per all of Valve's other games. To change your name in game simply press SHIFT+TAB then click on the arrow next to your name in the friends window, then click Change Profile Name.
▪ Smoke Grenades: Smoke grenades have been modified due to community request:
- Made to bloom faster.▪ HE Grenades: Damage inflicted by HE grenades has been modified due to a long standing bug discovered during the beta session, where the armor penetration of the grenade was dependent on the weapon that was equipped by the grenade thrower at the point of detonation. More details are explained below.
- Made more opaque.
- Fixed "one-way" smoke.
▪ Walking Speed: Walking speed in CS:S was increased from 0.41x running speed to 0.51x running speed. (from 100 to 130 when walking with a pistol)
▪ Crosshairs: The crosshairs were modified to provide extra features, like custom color (R,G,B), thickness, size and having a recoil indicator that is independent of fps. Info
- Will DirectX 7 and DirectX 8 be supported by the new engine?
DirectX 7 will not. DirectX 8 will still retain support.
If your hardware is not capable of using DirectX 8 or higher, or performs poorly with DirectX 8, then it is recommended that you take this as a cue to upgrade your hardware.
- Will current custom models, skins and maps work with the new engine?
▪ Custom maps do work with the new update but might have some issues.
▪ Custom skins and models should work fine in the new engine.
(Thanks to ICantShoot for elaborating on the issue.)
- Will I be able to use or play my demos on the new engine?
or My demos no longer work after the update, what happened?
No. Demos taken on older versions of the engine won't run on the new engine.
Please read this thread for more information regarding Demos and Updates.
- Why is the server limited to 66 tickrate? or
My server no longer runs on 100 tickrate, What gives?!
HPE and Valve have limited CS:S to 66 tickrate, and removed the '-tickrate' argument for srcds. They would like to provide consistent gameplay for all users, since different tickrates will affect rate of fire, recoil, and physics.
- What is cl_interp? and What value should it be?
Originally Posted by http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Net_graph#Optimizations
Source Engine 2007 / Source Engine 2009 (TF2 - DoD S - CSS) + Left 4 Dead Engine + Left 4 Dead 2 Engine:
cl_interp = cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate
For example, if your client receives 66 update per second and the interp ratio is 2, you can set cl_interp to 0.03. This way your view interpolation lag is lowered from 100ms to 30ms. Here, cl_interp_ratio is acting as a "limiter" of the cl_interp value. It is not possible to turn off the view interpolation lag on the Orange Box Engine.
- My Bindings Don't Work Anymore! My scripts are messed up!!
Due to the new engine, there is a possibility, that whatever you bound the key to has been removed or replaced by another command. If you're getting the error "<key> is not a valid key", then the name of the key might have changed. Here is a link to scripting tutorial for TF2, it uses the same engine as CS:S, thus scripting for TF2 is similar to CS:S.
- I can't find servers, after running CS:S I get this on the server browser; "Steam beta must be running to make use of find servers"
Your steam client is out of date, you need to update your steam client. Click on Steam->Check for updates.
- Server Too Busy, or Game currently not available.
If you are getting Servers too busy, please be patient. This update is being rolled out to users worldwide, in addition to the many new users who will purchase the game with the sale today.
- The crosshairs are not working like they used to they seem different than before, what's up with that?
The developers has made the new crosshairs to expand and contract independently from the frame rate. Previously the rate at which the crosshairs moved, depended on how much FPS you had; the lower FPS, the slower it'll contract, the higher FPS the faster it'll contract to normal size.
This does not mean the recoil was modified. It only means the visual representation of the recoil was modified only.
You can revert to the way the crosshairs used to behave by using a client side cvar cl_legacy_crosshair. Where setting it to 0, means the new behavior, and 1 meaning old behavior. By default this setting is set to 0.
Originally Posted by http://store.steampowered.com/news/4261
Made crosshair scale independently of framerate, matching the old behavior at 100 fps. This does not affect actual recoil, fire rate, or spread – only the expansion of the crosshair. Added cl_legacy_crosshair, which defaults to the new behavior
SRCDS/Listen Servers Update FAQ (June 23, 2010)
- New additions to server variables (other than mentioned above):
▪ Servers can turn off the grenade fire-in-the-hole radio spam with sv_ignoregrenaderadio 1
- My friends can't connect to my listen server they keep on getting "LAN Games Restricted to Class C clients". Is there anything I can do?
First you need to set your listen server to accept non LAN ip-addresses. This is done by setting sv_lan to 0. Then you need to execute a changelevel command to restart the server.
- Will I loose all my settings?
Unfortunately the update will install on a folder different than your current. There will be a folder called "orangebox". Inside you'll see the familiar folder structure and files for srcds server. So you might just need to copy all your configurations from the old folder to the new folder.
- Can I still use my old plugins?
No. you'll need to get an updated plugin from the developer of the plugin to get it to work on the orange box engine.
- When I try to join a server I get this message: "INVALID STEAM KEY SIZE". What can I do?
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do from your end. The server needs to be updated to the latest version.
- I run a server, and lots of people seem confused about setting proper rates, is there a way I can force certain settings?
Recently Valve/HPE have provided a set of commands that are enforceable to all clients without the need for plugins:
Originally Posted by http://store.steampowered.com/news/4246/
- Added a new server ConVar "sv_competitive_minspec" that enforces the following restrictions on clients when set to 1:
- r_drawdetailprops 1
- r_staticprop_lod (-1 to 3)
- fps_max minimum 60 (or 0)
- cl_detailfade minimum 400
- cl_detaildist minimum 1200
- cl_interp (0 to 0.031)
- cl_interp_ratio (1 to 2)
- I run a trikz server and after the last update my players can't flash/player boost or bunnyhop like before. Is this a bug?
No it's not a bug. They used to be a bug that was taken advantage of, and as per request of the community, it has been disabled. However, it can be brought back. Valve and HPE understood the need for such features in community servers specially trikz servers. They added server cvars to re-enable flash/player boosting and bunnyhopping. All you need to do is add these to your server configuration file.
This cvars are defaulted to 0, so you'll need to add it to your config file with the value of 1.
- The HE grenades are not doing the same damage as they used to, how can I fix this?
Throughout the duration of the return of the beta, it was discovered by the community that grenade damage was not consistent, and it would inflict damage differently based on what weapon the thrower had equipped, only while the recipient of the damage was wearing armor. If the recipient was not wearing an armor then the damage was consistent. This led us to believe that the armor penetration damage done by the HE grenade is affected by the weapon the attacker had equipped at the time of detonation. This is actually a bug that's was fixed. Since i'm running out of room here, i'll link you to two threads that will detail the information.
This thread discusses the discovery and the tests done by the community.
This thread informs us of what was discovered by the developers and how the fix was implemented.
This is not the end of it. The developers saw that some servers might prefer to keep the old behavior rather than the new one, so they introduced a new cvar that allows the server admins to do just so.
Add the cvar sv_legacy_grenade_damage 1 to your server config file. (1: use old behavior, 0: use new behavior)
- I use plugins on my listen server, after the update that disabled client side pugins I can't run them anymore. What can I do?
Plugins were not made with listen servers in mind. They were made to work on dedicated servers. So either run your server using the dedicated server tool in steam, or download hldsupdatetool and install the server from there.
or You can run the CS:S with launch option "-insecure"
- I used to run my dedicated server using steam, now CS:S does not appear in the drop down list in the "Source Dedicate Server" tool. Where did it go?
Since CS:S was updated to the OrangeBox-engine CS:S can be found at Steam=>Library=>Tools=>Team Fortress 2 Dedicated Server
Thanks to satoon101 for the stylized answer.
Last edited by hisham.albeik: 10-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.