Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
dkrender

Another Mac mouse acceleration thread

Just curious if anyone out there has found a scheme to getting mouse acceleration identical to that in Windows XP/7.

I've lost all of my accuracy in CS:S going from Windows to Mac.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
EiNZTEiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrender View Post
Just curious if anyone out there has found a scheme to getting mouse acceleration identical to that in Windows XP/7.

I've lost all of my accuracy in CS:S going from Windows to Mac.
Have you tried the "Mouse Acceleration" prefpane? http://triq.net/software/mouse-accel...-pane-mac-os-x

I'm still struggling even after setting mouse acceleration to 0.0 (like it is in Win)… :S More tips are welcome!

Also, I think part of it are the breaks and slowdowns in the game in Mac versus PC…
EiNZTEiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
dkrender

I have tried "Mouse Acceleration" and nothing I set it to seems to resemble how the mouse acts under Windows. 0.0 still seems rather bad. I may try switching mice. I have a Logitech G5.

CS:S is unplayable for me because of this. This is something that I will never get used to as I've been playing the game for nearly 6 years now.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
EiNZTEiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrender View Post
I have tried "Mouse Acceleration" and nothing I set it to seems to resemble how the mouse acts under Windows. 0.0 still seems rather bad. I may try switching mice. I have a Logitech G5.

CS:S is unplayable for me because of this. This is something that I will never get used to as I've been playing the game for nearly 6 years now.
I hear you brother. I use an MX Revolution for work/general use but dusted off my old MX500 for this. I stopped playing more actively around 2yrs ago but I've been playing for over 5 years as well and I can relate to your frustration… :S

After setting "Mouse Acceleration" to 0.0 on the mouse, go to the Mouse prefpane and adjust the tracking speed. It might help. :S
EiNZTEiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
loveturtle

I actually like OS-X mouse acceleration on the desktop...So last night I tried to pllay CS:S and I realized this will just not do. I tried googling around and found this

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-...-command-line/

I can't figure out how to turn it off (outside of rebooting) but it absolutely is perfect for CS:S! Try it out, just download it and run it in the terminal. It's really easy.

VALVE! If you google you can easily find the source code for this little app, what would be really nice (and worth investigating) is if you guys could integrate this in to the source games so when we play CS:S or HL or whatever it toggles on and when we exit it goes back to normal, or make it a togglable option in steam that we can tick on and off. I think it's here http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=3364
Old 06-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
Tob-Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveturtle View Post
I actually like OS-X mouse acceleration on the desktop...So last night I tried to pllay CS:S and I realized this will just not do. I tried googling around and found this

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-...-command-line/

I can't figure out how to turn it off (outside of rebooting) but it absolutely is perfect for CS:S! Try it out, just download it and run it in the terminal. It's really easy.

VALVE! If you google you can easily find the source code for this little app, what would be really nice (and worth investigating) is if you guys could integrate this in to the source games so when we play CS:S or HL or whatever it toggles on and when we exit it goes back to normal, or make it a togglable option in steam that we can tick on and off. I think it's here http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=3364
I'm confused, what am i meant to download from that osxdaily website? It just gives some terminal commands, which the first one DOES turn mouse acceleration off, the other two do nothing. However, it's annoying having to load that website and copy and paste the commands everytime i want to play.

This is a problem that valve have to address, it makes first person shooters impossible to play.

Last edited by Tob-Bee: 06-27-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
nano....

It'd be better if OS X had a toggle for it.

Many people actually prefer zero acceleration, even outside of gaming.
nano.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
TheSomian

It'd be better if Valve would figure out how to make these games playable on macs
TheSomian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
rcarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob-Bee View Post
I'm confused, what am i meant to download from that osxdaily website? It just gives some terminal commands, which the first one DOES turn mouse acceleration off, the other two do nothing. However, it's annoying having to load that website and copy and paste the commands everytime i want to play.

This is a problem that valve have to address, it makes first person shooters impossible to play.
Download the Kill Mouse Acc.dmg.gz attachment.

You may want to let it run on startup.
rcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
rbarris

SteerMouse fills this need for some:

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/
rbarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Timerider42

What does -noforcemaccel do in launch options? Anything related to mouse accel?
Timerider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
durandal02

I use USB Overdrive, and it's free, sorta.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
nano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerider42 View Post
What does -noforcemaccel do in launch options? Anything related to mouse accel?
I believe it disables Source's own implementation of mouse acceleration.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Fiesty Panda

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

Disables mouse accel until you alter any mouse settings. The same can be done for a trackpad by replacing "mouse" with "trackpad".
Fiesty Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #15
nano....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesty Panda View Post
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

Disables mouse accel until you alter any mouse settings. The same can be done for a trackpad by replacing "mouse" with "trackpad".
Works for Leopard, but not it's Snowy cousin.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games