Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tachyon: The Fringe

Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
sfried

First time run installs DirectX?

I recently got Tachyon The Fringe and I noticed when I tried to run it for the first time that it says that Steam is now installing DirectX.

I find it odd that Steam would forcibly install DirectX since I already have DX11 as part of Windows 7. I'm not quite sure if Steam is installing the older version bundled with the game or is actually installing the latest runtime of DX9.0c (or perhaps some other legacy compatibility). I also noticed steamapps/common/tachyon the fring/ has its own directx directory. Does anybody know what the folders are for?

(And sometimes I encounter some crashes when Launching on a mission, or sometimes my joystick/keyboard stops responding desoite the game still running normally. I'm wondering if these directx drivers have something to do with it.)
Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
JGZinv

Having taken apart the retail game, that does sound odd.
Tachyon does require DirectX, but it runs just fine on 9.0b, 9.0c, 10, and 11 without modification. I've got multiple installations.

The crashes starting may be typical if it's when you're starting the game itself. Typically the community found it more reliable to start from Space.exe after settings had been setup, than Tachyon.exe. Tachyon.exe is just a launcher.

If it's from the menu going into a mission then that is indeed uncommon.

Not sure how well Steam will handle it, but can you put the exes in Windows compatibility mode and try it out?

Controller drop offs seem like either something faulty with the controller/port, or drivers not playing nicely. Is the stick configured in Windows, or a custom profiler, and does it show up in Tach's options menu?
JGZinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
sfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGZinv View Post
Having taken apart the retail game, that does sound odd.
Tachyon does require DirectX, but it runs just fine on 9.0b, 9.0c, 10, and 11 without modification. I've got multiple installations.

The crashes starting may be typical if it's when you're starting the game itself. Typically the community found it more reliable to start from Space.exe after settings had been setup, than Tachyon.exe. Tachyon.exe is just a launcher.

If it's from the menu going into a mission then that is indeed uncommon.

Not sure how well Steam will handle it, but can you put the exes in Windows compatibility mode and try it out?

Controller drop offs seem like either something faulty with the controller/port, or drivers not playing nicely. Is the stick configured in Windows, or a custom profiler, and does it show up in Tach's options menu?
I disabled the custom profiler since it does affect some other games, so it's entirely using the Windows configuration (with up to date drivers). I wasn't sure I needed to upgrade my direct X since mine was DirectX11 (comes with my Windows 7 64bit), but apparently it seems backwards compatibility support does need to be upgrades, so I installed the latest run-time via MS website (I did this after the apparent Tachyon installing DXdrivers on its own in first run).

Just to let you know how the folder looks like:
Steam\steamapps\common\tachyon the fringe\directx

and in it are a bunch of CABs dated from April 2005 to November 2008.

I'm going to experiment with taking off this direct x directory.
Edit 1: Success. Nothing was affected after deleting the folder from the Tachyon directory
Edit 2: Tachyon does not seem to launch in Windows XP SP 3 compatibility mode (space.exe, the launcher still works), while not enabling any compatibility modes make it run normaly.
Edit 3: Alright, it happened again. Every time I try to skip the Tachyon gate sequence with the ESC, suddenly my keyboard/joystick responses stop working altogether. The game still runs, other than using ALT+TAB to switch tasks, my inputs are dead.
Edit 4: It seems I need to have both Tachyon.exe and space.exe in campatibility mode in order for it to work. Hopefully this could resolve any more crashes.
Edit 5: Nope. HAT Switches still don't work (despite running calibration and assigning everything) even in Compatibility mode and the game still bugs out when you try to hit ESC too soon during warp sequences.

I'm still figuring out how to get the intro movie to run.

Last edited by sfried: 06-26-2010 at 11:27 PM.
sfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
JGZinv

If you really want that movie.. I can send you the link to it from the artist that made it.

XP SP3 has always had problems with Tachyon.
SP2 and every other flavor of Windows (even Linux)
can run Tach just fine.

You might thumb through my guide here:
http://www.fringespace.org/index.php...iewtopic&t=142

Couldn't hurt to see if that sparks any ideas.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
sfried

Quote:
If you really want that movie.. I can send you the link to it from the artist that made it.
Sure. Better than going through the command line everytime just to play the Bink video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGZinv;15665543X
P SP3 has always had problems with Tachyon.
SP2 and every other flavor of Windows (even Linux)
can run Tach just fine.

You might thumb through my guide here:
http://www.fringespace.org/index.php...iewtopic&t=142

Couldn't hurt to see if that sparks any ideas.
Your guide only mentions Windows 7 beta (not final nor even mentioning 64-bit), but thanks for the help. I'll try and bring the compatibility to SP2 and see if that resolves all other issues (including some tiny graphical errors I haven't mentioned yet).

Any chance you could update the guide, though? The only thing happering my enjoyment of this game are the random crashes. (In a way, it reminded me of I-War Deluxe before the GOG release.)
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
JGZinv

Well the only reason it's got Win 7 beta is that is all I have.
Unfortunately being a lowly game modder doesn't result in much cashflow.

My Vista laptop is 64bit, and it runs Tachyon fine as a 32 bit application.

There are other players that use Win 7 that was installed on their systems when bought and they seem to be fine. I did have another guy essentially ask me the same question about SP2 vs. SP3 this morning.

Since I don't have Tachyon via Steam, as I've had the retail since 2000... troubleshooting is difficult from this end. If you could provide more detailed information about what is happening, I might be able to suggest more.

If Steam is distributing the downloadable version Novalogic farmed out starting in oh... 2008/09 somewhere in there... then that has had issues with graphics and sound reported by several people. The only way to fix is to replace the files, and that takes time to track down.

Very bottom of the page in avi format:
http://www.rolfmohr.com/Tachyon.html
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
sfried

Quote:
Very bottom of the page in avi format:
http://www.rolfmohr.com/Tachyon.html
Guess what...I can't even view the AVI properly (sound only) since it's using the Indeo codec, and apparently that isn't supported by Microsoft/Ligos in Windows Vista/7.

In any case, I wonder how long untill NovaLogic/Valve starts to release a solution to this problem. It's a great game hamppered by incompatibilites in moder hardware/OS.

Edit: The version that boots up is 1.00.00.36r which seems to be the latest, but this was back like a decade ago! (5/5/2000)

Last edited by sfried: 06-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
JGZinv

Use a "real" media player... like the k-lite mega codec pack.

Don't expect NovaLogic to do anything. I could speak of several reasons why, but simply put it was a act of mercy that tried to push out the 3 or so patches that were put out after the game shipped. Nothing has been done since except by the fan community.

Back when the downloadable version of Tach came out, Novalogic moved their game servers twice in the space of 6 months. Suddenly their servers never came back so players started asking around. Eventually we got an answer that in the move they had lost their server map files. So even NL can't host the game any more.

Last "patch" (for the server move)they put out has a little note attached saying that you won't be able to play online in Tachyon anymore. In reality, they didn't bother to update the IP address in the game files. That's why the fan made Service Bay was produced, to restore player hosted games.

36r is the last version from NL. There's an updater from devilsclaw that applies the same 36r patch in about 2 seconds compared to the official patcher which takes hours.

There's several fan mod kits out there. Most are buggy.
Service bay was meant as the end all last mod set combining the best stuff from other packs.

I guess we should be thankful the lobby is still online, even though the graphics are broken depending on where you look.

Last edited by JGZinv: 06-28-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
sfried

Where can I get this "The Service Bay" pack? Does it help with the single-player issues? That Fringe Space link you gave me doesn't seem to give a download page.

Edit: It seems that Steam thinks the directx folder is cruicial to the integrity of the game, so it reinstalled it. What's going on?

Last edited by sfried: 06-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Vaemer-Riit

The DirectX folder is considered part of the install, they only run the first time you launch the game and will not overwrite any newer DirectX installs.

Just leave them there as they will not cause any problems with the game.

Seeing as you are on Windows 7 and this game was originally released in 2000 its no surprise you may have issues running the game. As I am still running Windows XP I cant help you with any Win7 problems.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
JGZinv

Quote:
Where can I get this "The Service Bay" pack? Does it help with the single-player issues? That Fringe Space link you gave me doesn't seem to give a download page.
www.fringespace.org in the downloads/patches section.
36R > TSB > TSB patch is the proper way if you want to do it.
Read the ReadMe as it is most sufficient.

However, I don't know what Steam has done to the game. I've not had someone test the files for me before, so I have no way of telling you how it will react.

The audio and graphics issues probably will not be fixed by service bay. It's a mod set so people can use all the best ships from the game, mostly in multiplayer. It also has multiplayer maps, and the IP fix so folks can host games again.

The audio and graphics stuff is related to the files that make up the game, which is in the PFF. You'd have to replace files 1 by 1 to find the affected files... or replace the PFF. Like I said before, it sounds like this is the downloadable version of Tach... and this "resolution" is typical.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tachyon: The Fringe