Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2

Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
nanohead

Games for Windows Live.... ugh

Something might be wrong with my GFWL account, but I cannot tell. It is trying to get me to PAY so I can save games. I'm kinda scratching my head, because there are many games that use it as a save cloud, but Bioshock 2 is the first game to ask me to pay!!??

I has linked my Xbox Live and GFWL account somehow. I had an Xbox Live account (which I foolishly paid for) so we could watch Netflix on our Xbox. I can canceled that, but it still wants money!!

Anyone have any ideas or insight?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
nanohead

OK. Here's a lesson in the extremely convoluted world of Live/Xbox Live/Live. I had canceled my Xbox Live account (which I only paid for so I could watch Netflix movies on my now dead Xbox). Xbox Live tried to still renew my canceled account, which put my GFWL account on suspend (I Kid you not!!). Therefore I couldn't save any Bioshock 2 game saves.

I literally spent 2 hours on the phone with Live support. I had to re-pay for another Xbox Live subscription, then cancel it, then get a full refund. I kid you not. Absolutely INSANE.

Now, on to Bioshock 2
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
sailboatt

One tip I can give you for the future is to NEVER give microsoft your credit card details. Not only can they renew your account but I've heard stories of accounts being hacked and the CC details being stolen. If you're going to buy xbox live time make sure you buy a card from places other than xbox directly. And I couldn't agree more with Games for Windows sucking, but your xbox account and your GFWL account are the same.

Anyways, my recommendation would be to make a new xbox account, WITHOUT giving your credit card information and you should be okay. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
ZeroSignal

Xbox live is a joke that should stay on the joke that is the Xbox.
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Satans_Hell

I hate GFWL so much that it makes me want to crack/pirate the game I bought just to get rid of it!

Oh the irony.......
Satans_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
nanohead

Yeah. I'm just not sure what the whole purpose of GFWL is. They only sell a couple of games, they are all old and $50, and the interface is completely useless. I guess they must have paid their way into these games so they could be the save system. Just makes no sense.
nanohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
tin

I hope MS just let GFWL die, and come up with some workaround to allow games already infected with it to still work... I only bought Bioshock 2 last night, and just played it for about 2 minutes. Already regretting it thanks to GFWL.... I couldn't save because it didn't want to let me log in!

What the frell is with that?
tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
FrostyTheUnbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
I hope MS just let GFWL die, and come up with some workaround to allow games already infected with it to still work... I only bought Bioshock 2 last night, and just played it for about 2 minutes. Already regretting it thanks to GFWL.... I couldn't save because it didn't want to let me log in!

What the frell is with that?
If you just want to play the single player the 14th post here shows how to use GFWL in offline mode. It works for me:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1322920
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
tin

I can't even get into the damn game now - GFWL keeps wanting to download updates, and 3 times in, it's seeming to just be a loop.
Time to ask for a refund and pirate the damn thing I think
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
FrostyTheUnbald

That was my problem too but if you grab the right hand scroll bar in the GFWL window and pull it down it will reveal another choice that won't involve the "update."
FrostyTheUnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
tin

So how do we get any updates then? They seem to not come through Steam... I know they're "only" fixes to various issues I may not have, but what if I do get the problems?

I've already sent an email to 2K telling them what I think of Bioshock 2, and requested a refund from Steam support - I was hoping to be about 2 or 3 hours into the game by this time today, but so far I've seen the intro and first room playing not logged into GFWL (and thus unable to save).

Edit: OK, I created an offline profile to try and play anyway - and I can't retrieve items from bodies. I can search them, and stuff shows up, but pressing either button it says to "take/close" does nothing. Which suggests I need updates, which leaves me right at square one with the GFWL problem of it just repeatedly saying there are updates. Half my Saturday down the drain thanks to a crap "product" from Microsoft.

Last edited by tin: 06-25-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
Roxor

I hate GFWL. I buy games through Steam to avoid these kinds of headaches! What the hell were the devs drinking to make them think using GFWL was a good idea?

Valve should refuse to sell anything which incorporates GFWL.
Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
garekinokami

For those of you that cannot launch the game without getting an update message and subsequent patch, try deleting your save file. In another thread, someone suggested deleting your save files. Worked for me and now the game is patched and I can actually play it.

Give it a try, perhaps it'll work for you.
garekinokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
rugerx

Ill be honest, I finally bought this title and was so pleased.

Then I encountered the God awful games for windows live crud.

I can honestly say, I hope the person that developed this horrid system dies in an alien space craft landing.

It is so cumbersome and so not needed, I mean steam does this for you already, why the hell am I doing it twice?

Shame on 2k for this crap and M$ can just die. Steve Balmer sucks.

/rant off
rugerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerx View Post
Shame on 2k for this crap
I sent them an email about it. I suggest others do the same, or they'll continue infecting future games with it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2