Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source

Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
SnowmanSRT

Pros and Cons

Since you VALVe Hammer Legion Members are oblivious to the changes, here you are:

Pros:
- Updated graphics
- Mac Players can play
- Achievements
- You can screenshot the person who killed you, because you want to see the model of the guy who just awped you 10 seconds in the round
- Stats, so either players who spend hours against bots can boost their KD/R can brag about to to everyone, or so bad players can be humiliated by the boosters.

Cons:
- Old demos do not work now
- All addons are broken (fixable, but lots of really good addons are discontinued)
- Lifetime stats (KD/R matters to some people, forcing them to try hard, ruining fun)
- Different gameplay (greatly affects professional gamers, causing a number of them to retire from CS:S)
- Fun servers (Jailbreak, Minigame etc.) are broken
- Advertisements do not work (seems like you can't switch weapons while an advertisement is active, possibly fixable)
- Forced 66tick rate (already a workaround so what's the point)
- Seems like some gun changes were made, unbalancing guns even more

It's a bit biased yet, but it's true. A couple of the cons are fixable but it still weighs in favor for the cons.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
amp16

Banned
all ur pros were bad things except updated graphics and thats exactly it it just sux
amp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
koala44202

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp16 View Post
all ur pros were bad things except updated graphics and thats exactly it it just sux
1. OK here. WHY ARE ACHIEVEMENTS BAD? I admit it's a little annoying now because of mass numbers at once, but it's really not bad. Gives people reasons to play. It's called money maker for VALVe.
2. MAC users deserve these games too. Don't because you don't like them or don't have one.
3. Screenshot is a bad thing? And if you hate the death cam, TURN IT OFF IN THE OPTIONS. Not hard and don't complain about something like that. Some people like being able to see who shot them from where.
4. Stats.....If you don't like them, just ignore it. Easy as that.
Why so much QQ on these forums??
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
amp16

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by koala44202 View Post
1. OK here. WHY ARE ACHIEVEMENTS BAD? I admit it's a little annoying now because of mass numbers at once, but it's really not bad. Gives people reasons to play. It's called money maker for VALVe.
2. MAC users deserve these games too. Don't because you don't like them or don't have one.
3. Screenshot is a bad thing? And if you hate the death cam, TURN IT OFF IN THE OPTIONS. Not hard and don't complain about something like that. Some people like being able to see who shot them from where.
4. Stats.....If you don't like them, just ignore it. Easy as that.
Why so much QQ on these forums??
theres nothing positive about achievement yea i just love shining with confetti when i shoot somebody with a sniper while im in a shadow only admins can turn the other stuff off also thats not the problem the problem is that its a different game it doesnt even play the same
Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Madmancm

Macs can play = CON
Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
thesmurf45

That doesn't even happen in this :/
thesmurf45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
kenny8076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmancm View Post
Macs can play = CON
agreed
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
amp16

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmancm View Post
Macs can play = CON
yea i kinda said that as the first comment way to phail read b4 u post loser
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Madmancm

amp16 are you atualy a moron? your flaming people who are against the update just like you are?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
amp16

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmurf45 View Post
That doesn't even happen in this :/
yea it does
Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
SnowmanSRT

bumpy
Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Banana Master

Banned
The graphics haven't even been updated too much. They use the new lighting system, but it's hardly noticable since most people don't use the flashlights. I was expecting a little more.

I think you can add a con as "Still able to block team mates." I was hoping they'd add the same mechanic from TF2, Left 4 Dead and the updated DOD:S where you can only be blocked by the enemy and you simply walk through team mates. The only reason I can think of that they didn't include this mechanic is that some maps use tactics that require jumping off a team mate to get to a certain area.

As for gameplay, I think any gameplay changes you feel are going on are a placebo effect. I haven't played in nearly 3 years, only coming back to get achievements, and the game doesn't feel any different than when I left it. Although, the ticrate changes have possibly altered the game for those still using rates set for a 100 ticrate server, because I knew it was forced to 66, I set my rates accordingly and everything is fine.

Last edited by Banana Master: 07-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Banana Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source