Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
dempa

GTA IV Crash on startup

GTA IV crashes without any message. The fullscreen literally takes effect, then it just disappears and returns to my desktop, along with the processes no longer being visible in Task Manager.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3GB RAM
Hard Drive: 885 GB Total
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Monitor: 19" 5:4
Sound Card: SB Live! 24-bit
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Mouse: Logitech MX-518 / Razer Deathadder
Mouse Surface: Razer Destructor
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)

Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
dempa

bumping back to the top. this forum is my last hope.

It behaves the way a game without the proper cd would run, if you had a fake copy of the disc inserted (or mounted) without a no-cd crack.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Gragnatz

I have the exact same problem and I followed all the steps from that stickied thread. Help please!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
scopeys112

i have the same problem as well wtf
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
scopeys112

bump, i'd really be much more angry if I spent full price for the game only to have it crash upon launch. But still, I paid for a product and it's not working, can anyone point m in the rigt direction???
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
daemn

Same problem here. I shrugged off the bad comments due to most people not understanding 'good' gaming computers. It's no joke though. The game actually encounters an access violation (my Visual Studio tries to debug).

I've played ports before without too much issue. GTA4 seems to be a whole different beast. I'll update if I find the issue.

Edit: -benchmark worked and now the game works. One thing I might have done inbetween is install latest Flash.

Edit: Turns out all you have to do is keep re-trying.. it works every 1/5 times for me.

Last edited by daemn: 07-02-2010 at 12:28 AM.
daemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
computech4all

catalyst Drivers update bad for GTA IV

Hi,
I have had the same problem for months after installing AMD/ATI Catalyst driver 10.7 and newer drivers up to 10.10 .Try finding 10.6 drivers and installing those, and sometimes the 10.7 drivers work also,but not all the time. Try the 10.6 catalyst drivers first.
computech4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
russrob84

Smile Found why GTA4 crashes in steam,

Hey guys just right click gta4 go to properties, and disable steam in game community check box, then it wont crash anymore, forget installing old drivers for one game, that is ridiculous, the problem is the overlay of steam in game community, utilizing the same dll's and runtime needs as gta4 itself.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
martinidog

I'm having the same problem.

Sometimes the game will say that it's starting up, but never actually does. When it DOES start, I get to the copyright information of the game, then it crashes. I've disabled Steam community in-game; I've chosen to run the program as the administrator.

Yes, all of my hardware and software is up to date.

What gives?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
BoomWav

It happens to me too now. I think it was the latest Flash Player Update.
BoomWav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
BoomWav

I just fixed my issue

I think I found my problem, I just started and went all the way to the menu 2 times in a row.

Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 Beta

1. Open Programs and features window. To open it, type appwiz.cpl in Start menu search area and then hit enter.

2. In the left pane, click View installed updates option to see list of installed updates. Here locate the entry named Windows Internet Explorer 9. (It's deep in the Microsoft Windows section. Look carefully.)

3. Right-click on the entry and select uninstall. This will revert you to the old version.

4. Reboot

5 Try again. (It worked for me, two times in a row)
BoomWav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Lucky_B

I have 4600 series. You Should use not overclocked procesor and other things. When you'll oc u ll get crashwed gta4
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
krazycalvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomWav View Post
I think I found my problem, I just started and went all the way to the menu 2 times in a row.

1. Open Programs and features window. To open it, type appwiz.cpl in Start menu search area and then hit enter.

2. In the left pane, click View installed updates option to see list of installed updates. Here locate the entry named Windows Internet Explorer 9. (It's deep in the Microsoft Windows section. Look carefully.)

3. Right-click on the entry and select uninstall. This will revert you to the old version.

4. Reboot

This worked for me too. It was getting frustrating.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
GanonFodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomWav View Post

4. Reboot

Nope. Can't find anything called "Windows Internet Explorer 9" on my part and I doublechecked it about 10 times. Other ideas?
GanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
total_frenzy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonFodder View Post
Nope. Can't find anything called "Windows Internet Explorer 9" on my part and I doublechecked it about 10 times. Other ideas?
If you cannot find Windows Internet Explorer 9 in the Installed Updates list, then you need to actually install it.

They are talking about uninstalling the beta version to revert back to the original version.

GFWL needs IE9 and GTA needs GFWL.
total_frenzy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series