Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Dragonitare

How to Change Drives

One of my hard drive is full and I want to install the rest of my Steam games on the other drive, how can I do that?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Bearkin

Banned
You can't, everything has to be on a single drive. Either move steam to the new drive or make room on the first drive.
Bearkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
spencer314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearkin View Post
You can't, everything has to be on a single drive. Either move steam to the new drive or make room on the first drive.
This is the best solution. However, search the forums for "NTFS junctions". I'm not quite sure how it works but others have had success, I think.
spencer314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
L.o.D.

Actually, you can if you follow this tutorial.

Technical background
Windows NT (Windows XP, Vista, 2000 and 2003 ARE Windows NT) uses a filesystem called NTFS. It allows creating junctions. A Junction is a folder which is displayed on let's say C:\Source but it's content is in fact at D:\Destination. So the space is used on D: which allows you to have more data on C: than actially possible. And that's exactly what you may want.

Requirements
  1. Windows NT (again, WinXP, WinVista and so on ARE WinNT)
  2. NTFS-formatted drives (if you still have FAT(32)-formatted partitions, you can use the convert-command to convert your partitions to NTFS, at the cost of readability in Win98/Linux).
  3. Some spare time

Execution
  1. If you're not using Windows Vista, you'll have to get linkd.exe from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. If you're using Windows Vista, you already have a command called mklink which does the job. I'm going to use linkd-syntax in this tutorial, mklink has almost the same syntax. You only have to add the /j-parameter (junction, remember?) You can access help for both tools with the [tool name] /?-command.
  2. Take a look at your folder structure. Where do you want to move the games from and to? In this example, I'll use C:\Steam as the Steam installation directory on a full partition and D:\SteamSpare as the swap space.
  3. Open your console. Press Win+R, type cmd and press enter.
  4. Let's move a third party game first. Move the content of C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra to D:\SteamSpare\Red Orchestra. You have to move the files and delete the original folder.
  5. Type linkd "C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra" "D:\SteamSpare\Red Orchestra" in the console.
  6. You're done. Red Orchestra files will take space on D: but will be still avaible to Steam in C:\Steam.
  7. Moving Valve games is more complicated. linkd can only "mirror" folders. Valve games have their data inside GCF-files. So you can only "mirror" the whole SteamApps-folder or use mklink (Vista only, not tested) to move single files. EDIT: Windows XP has a command called fsutil, it can be used to mirror single files.
Alternatively, you can use NT's drive management to mount another partition at C:\Steam\SteamApps. This, however, is less flexible. Will cover it, if any interest is presented.

Still, if you have the overfilled and the spare partition on one single hard drive, you should concider repartitioning.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
mR_LAg

It is possible to have your steam files on 2 separate hard drives and still be able to run and play steam and the game contents.

It just needs to be the same model as the existing hard drive.
Change both hard drives to Raid 1.
And your Computer will think its just one single hard drive.
Enabling you to execute steam on 2 hard drives.
mR_LAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
L.o.D.

But to go raid, you need to reinstall the OS.
From what I read when looking at how to set up raid.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
alanon

Raid 1 is mirroring, it does not gain you space, you actually lose space. Two 1 TB in raid 1 gives you 1TB of space. Raid 0 gives you more space. The same two TB drives in raid 0 gives you 2TB of space.

Raid 1 allows you to have a drive fail and keep your data, if a drive fails in raid 0, you're out of luck.

Yes, you have to rebuild the OS...assuming your OS is this physical drive. If it's a separate physical drive from your OS you can rebuild just your data volumes. I work on servers and I've had to do this dozens of times.

Right now I have my OS on a raptor and my data is on two 1TB in raid 1.

Last edited by alanon: 06-25-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips