Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Uplink

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Kitsune Sniper

Can this version of the game be modded?

According to Wikipedia,

Quote:
As some versions of Uplink: Hacker Elite have been modified, many game mods and patches will not run with the Hacker Elite version.
My question is, can the Steam version of the game be modded? Since the entire Introversion pack is $5 right now, I'd like to buy the game and eventually use a mod or two.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
therusher2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
According to Wikipedia,

My question is, can the Steam version of the game be modded? Since the entire Introversion pack is $5 right now, I'd like to buy the game and eventually use a mod or two.
According to the official forums the latest stable patch(1.54) supports mods on Steam. I've personally been able to install/play OnLink, though I'm using the beta patch(1.55).

Regardless, the Introversion pack is completely worth it. I just bought it yesterday myself, and haven't even got around to the non-uplink games yet after 10 hours of playing (lost a good amount of sleep). Though now I might cause I just got caught in game for bank theft... forgot to blow up my system and now it's game over...
I had the best system, best hardware, best version of every piece of software, and 1.3 million credits too
...Sorry, derailed the topic a bit.
therusher2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
BlueLegion

if you are REALLY fast deleting your logs you dont need to blow up your gateway. still its safer to backup your safegame before trying to rob a bank.

i never tried blowing up the gateway, but it seems worth it after getting a few millions via bank robbery, since the passive trace is really quick.
BlueLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Kitsune Sniper

I saw one video where this guy stole 800'000 something credits off a bank and left the guy with six credits. That REALLY sold me on the game. So I'll be buying it shortly.

I appreciate the comments, I just kept hearing about this FBI thing not working on the Steam version and it made me somewhat worried about more mods not working.
Kitsune Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
BlueLegion

to OP: according to modlink.net, "Uplink" and "Uplink: Hacker Elite" are identical
BlueLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
ezjay30

Quote:
Originally Posted by therusher2000 View Post
According to the official forums the latest stable patch(1.54) supports mods on Steam. I've personally been able to install/play OnLink, though I'm using the beta patch(1.55).

Regardless, the Introversion pack is completely worth it. I just bought it yesterday myself, and haven't even got around to the non-uplink games yet after 10 hours of playing (lost a good amount of sleep). Though now I might cause I just got caught in game for bank theft... forgot to blow up my system and now it's game over...
I had the best system, best hardware, best version of every piece of software, and 1.3 million credits too
...Sorry, derailed the topic a bit.

@rusher

Could you link the site you got Onlink from? I been looking everywhere for it and can't find a working link for it. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
therusher2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezjay30 View Post
@rusher

Could you link the site you got Onlink from? I been looking everywhere for it and can't find a working link for it. Thanks!
Hmmm. I could've sworn I got it from the official site, which seems to be down now. I'd just check back every once in a while for it, as I can't seem to find a mirror that doesn't point to the main site.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLegion View Post
if you are REALLY fast deleting your logs you dont need to blow up your gateway. still its safer to backup your safegame before trying to rob a bank.

i never tried blowing up the gateway, but it seems worth it after getting a few millions via bank robbery, since the passive trace is really quick.
Yeah I wasn't fast enough, I spent too much time looking through the bank accounts and writing them down to notice that my security system went off the second time...

And the security system is definitely worth having, as if you get caught it's game over, you can't keep your money/rank/progress. If you plow up your gateway, you lose your hardware/software, but keep your money/accounts/rank/mission progress.

EDIT2: The official site wasn't working for me at the time of posting, but someone links to it below.

Last edited by therusher2000: 07-05-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
Stixsworld

http://www.onlink-mod.net/ and it aint down...

---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
therusher2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixsworld View Post
http://www.onlink-mod.net/ and it aint down...

---Stixsmaster
It's down for me, are you sure it's working? "Server not found". Same if I try to ping it through cmd.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Stixsworld

http://www.stixsworld.com/onlink/onlink.jpg

Enjoy...

Your firewall may be messing with your browser's ports hence causing it to not connect to all sites 100%...

---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
therusher2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixsworld View Post
http://www.stixsworld.com/onlink/onlink.jpg

Enjoy...

Your firewall may be messing with your browser's ports hence causing it to not connect to all sites 100%...

---Stixsmaster
That's odd, as it worked a few days ago. I'll have to look into that, thanks.
EDIT: yeah it started working for me again after a day or so. Odd.

Last edited by therusher2000: 07-05-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Uplink