Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Global Agenda: Free Agent

Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
C4Chaos42

Lag compensation?

I live in Australia and usually have a ping of around 200-300ms depending on the location of the server.

My question is simple, is there any kind of lag compensation in this game?

If I fire a gun will I see the shots instantly or are they quake style when you fire the shots appear a few seconds later depending on your ping?
do I have to lead my line of fire to compensate for my ping or is that taken care of with clientside hit detection?
etc...

Seeing as this is the ut3 engine then I would be greatly surprised if it did have lag compensation. :/

---------------------------------------------------------
Update: Been asking around about GA on steam friends, according to them the game still has a lot of problems with dealing with high ping because of the limitations of using server-side hit detection ("1990's netcode") in modern games especially ones classed as mmofps.

Also found this...

Quote source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachire
The SG server is going back up after 1.3 however it sucks . Most of Harlequin gets 250+ on it though so does everyone else so its more equally unfair.

I'm not a software dev so I can't really propose solutions (this post was more to see what the rest of the community thought) but as it has been mentioned above there are other MMOFPS games that manage to work around ping issues. As the game stands now even once the SG server goes up no one will play on it since there aren't enough Aus players and very few Americans have agreed to play 4v4 or Mercs with us in the past. As it stands now 2 players from different parts in the world who are of equal skill don't even get close to an even game and I'll be honest, if I'm going up against a roamer or recon thats hitting with an accuracy higher than anything I could dream of I just log out and go do something else.

In regard to increasing Oceanic pop (not sure if I said this before) lots of people I know refuse to buy the game until they can compete on a reasonably level field. Even those that have it already will be hugely reluctant to sub. And with good reason! Why pay an equal amount for an inferior service?

I love this game and its a huge downer that geographical location is actually a problem. So please HiRez show me that you care!

Quote Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRezErez
It uses the standard Unreal 3 engine netcode for tracking hits. You would probably want to play on the euro server when the game goes live, it's a much better experience to be under 150 ping.
That's horrible for a mmofps when you have to compete against people playing in different parts of the world on netcode developed for local servers and people. :/

search keywords: Lag compensation problems weapons latency ping issue australia australian distance server location leading target fire shots shooting ahead netcode net code quake ut ut2004 ut3 unlag unlagged anti-lag question oceanic New zealand bad good help assist query retail developers develope dev team

Last edited by C4Chaos42: 07-02-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
KrazyKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Chaos42 View Post
I live in Australia and usually have a ping of around 200-300ms depending on the location of the server.

If I fire a gun will I see the shots instantly or are they quake style when you fire the shots appear a few seconds later depending on your ping?
do I have to lead targets with instant firing weapons still?
etc...

Seeing as this is the ut3 engine then I would be greatly surprised if it did have lag compensation. :/
theres obviously limits to how high the lag can be, BUT I find this game is playable at higher pings then most first person shooters... most europeans play on american servers for some stupid reason and we rarely have problems with lag.. I only really notice it when trying to play sniper-recon... well... either that or I really suck at it... could be that :P
KrazyKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
C4Chaos42

Still didn't answer my question, does the game have lag compensation or is it the same thing as quake and ut3 is?

If the game still doesn't have lag compensation then I don't want to throw away $30. :/

Last edited by C4Chaos42: 06-30-2010 at 08:06 AM.
C4Chaos42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
nollapiste7

Quote:
Still didn't answer my question, does the game have lag compensation or is it the same thing as quake and ut3 is?

If the game still doesn't have lag compensation then I don't want to throw away $30. :/
most of the weapons are hitscan, thus you must lead the aim by the lag.

BUT not all classes rely on precise aim anyway(robot turrets hits always) and lauchers are "that-way" aim basis. medics don't really need to aim since heals are either aoe or aim-assisted, and poison medic uses mostly granades so its also "that-way".

check trial and see if it works...(same client, you just update the account if you wish to buy the game)
Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
KrazyKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollapiste7 View Post
most of the weapons are hitscan, thus you must lead the aim by the lag.

BUT not all classes rely on precise aim anyway(robot turrets hits always) and lauchers are "that-way" aim basis. medics don't really need to aim since heals are either aoe or aim-assisted, and poison medic uses mostly granades so its also "that-way".

check trial and see if it works...(same client, you just update the account if you wish to buy the game)
I dont think the weapons are hitscan actually, I'm pretty sure every time i visually saw a bullet connect, the player took actual damage
Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Baharroth

Quote:

do I have to lead targets with instant firing weapons still?
etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKain View Post
I dont think the weapons are hitscan actually, I'm pretty sure every time i visually saw a bullet connect, the player took actual damage
Most weapons in GA are hitscan; the exceptions are all AoE launchers and the sniper rifles (unless I've missed something). Hitscan weapons have no projectile flight time -they're instant hit or miss shots- while the visuals are simply drawn afterwards, meaning they're not representative of where the projectiles actually are and do end up being wrong occasionally. You don't have to lead based on enemy / projectile speeds with those weapons because they're instant, but with AoE launchers and sniper rifles, however, you do. In both cases you'd have to lead to compensate for lag.

Someone asked about a hit detection method called "anti-lag" or "unlagged" on the GA forums sometime and HiRez said they use it, it's built into UT3. It's probably helping, but it isn't perfect. Unfortunately, lag is just something some of us have to deal with.

Last edited by Baharroth: 06-30-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Baharroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
C4Chaos42

Thanks for the replies!
But unfortunately after watching this video it looks like it wont be worth buying it after all. In fps games ping is god when there is almost not lag compensation :/
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
KrazyKain

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!
But unfortunately after watching this video it looks like it wont be worth buying it after all. In fps games ping is god when there is almost not lag compensation :/
dude that's BETA footage, the lag correction has improved since then
Old 07-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
C4Chaos42

Quote:
Sweet, know about any up to date videos in regards to this issue?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
nollapiste7

Quote:
Sweet, know about any up to date videos in regards to this issue?
well theres WALL-E's awesome rampage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVW2HJ4kD4g

and footage from test server about the new 10man pve mission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwZ_Px1fIBE
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
UltimateGrr

Quote:
I play with an assuie, and the only time he gets issues like that is when we join the EU servers for some practice. Otherwise, he's all set.
UltimateGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
Zorlac

Quote:

It's a MMO, not a technical shooter. There will not be lag compensation to their servers.
Zorlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
UltimateGrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post
It's a MMO, not a technical shooter. There will not be lag compensation to their servers.
Shooter first, MMO second. There is limited lag comp on the servers, which EPIC coded into the engine, but there is an upper limit to what you can expect it to do. EU players on NA servers will see minimal problems, and vice versa (played a couple matches of 4v4 on the EU servers today). PR players on EU will see some issues, just becuase you can only overcome so much lag.
UltimateGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
C4Chaos42

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGrr View Post
Shooter first, MMO second. There is limited lag comp on the servers, which EPIC coded into the engine, but there is an upper limit to what you can expect it to do. EU players on NA servers will see minimal problems, and vice versa (played a couple matches of 4v4 on the EU servers today). PR players on EU will see some issues, just becuase you can only overcome so much lag.
I am very interested in hearing how everyone is affected by having a higher ping (+150ms) while playing online.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Howlix

If you're running vista this could be contributing to the problem. Download and install "vista anti lag" it helped me out immensely with lag spikes I was getting due to vista and the impossible to uninstall nvidia network manager.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Global Agenda: Free Agent