Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
m1sterb0b

Arrow Create desktop shortcut (and start menu?)

I noticed that there is a "Create Desktop Shortcut" option in the properties dialog box when you right click on a game or tool. I've wished for this option for some time now but haven't gotten around to suggesting it. On several occasions I've accidentally deleted the icons off the start menu, and wish for them to return but the ONLY way I know how is to uninstall the game and to re-install it and to check the option for start menu shortcuts. How possible would it be to get that button changed from "Create Desktop Shortcut" to "Create Shortcuts" and then have it bring up a dialog that has 2 check boxes one that says "Desktop Shortcut" and one that says "Start Menu Shortcut" so if you accidentally delete either or, it can re-create them for you based on which ones you want.

Last edited by m1sterb0b: 07-07-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
m1sterb0b

I don't normally do this but for lack of responses over the last 3 days *bump*. anybody?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
m1sterb0b

anybody else thing this is a good idea? Just kinda wondering why nobody has replied (maybe thats a good thing? lol)
Old 07-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Syldan

You can't. But you can create shortcut to desktop, copy/paste them (or drag) in your "start menu".
Syldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Maledict21

Having to create new Start menu shortcuts due to losing old ones is very rare. What Syldan said is the best method of dealing with this.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
m1sterb0b

Well, I've talked with people who accidentally unchecked the "place start menu icon" and people who have accidentally deleted it and I'm sure it wouldn't be a major fix, but it would be a useful one for when that does happen!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
ester25

Valve rarely implement features that benefit only a tiny portion of users.
Considering Start Menu shortcuts for Steam games are redundant anyway.
You need Steam to run Steam games, so why not use the built-in games list? Why bother with the start menu at all?
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Syldan

I always have Steam running and link all my games in it. I almost never use Start Menu and hell if I ever see my desktop in a month (I do forget what wallpaper is on it), I have most used icons as toolbar on the side of the screen.

http://i29.tinypic.com/5x7ng5.jpg
Syldan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas