Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Call of Duty

Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
xXjm94Xx

Red face Call of Duty 1 CD key problem

I just bought the Call of Duty Pack on Steam, and I downloaded Call of Duty 1, but when I try to play multiplayer, it says I need to enter a CD key. I bought it from the Steam store, so it shouldn't need a CD key right? I don't know if I will have this problem with all of the CoD games, they are still downloading.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Gremmie

Contact Steam Support (but only if the game prompts you to enter a CD Key).
Gremmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
seseorang

When you go to "Play" the game for the first time, it enters the registry information for you. This also includes the CD-Key. I've checked my registry and this is true with CoD: Modern Warefare and CoD2. The keys were the same in-game
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
seseorang

It seems as though the CD-Keys for CoD1 and UO are in the registry, but not being entered in-game automatically for you.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
kainhall

no no no. i have the 2003 CD copy. there is a cd key, even if you have it on steam. i mod men of war, and i add so mutch thatyou have ot reenter your cd key. if you click on hte game on the far right there should be a view cd key. under links. enter that in and your good.
kainhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
seseorang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhall View Post
no no no. i have the 2003 CD copy. there is a cd key, even if you have it on steam. i mod men of war, and i add so mutch thatyou have ot reenter your cd key. if you click on hte game on the far right there should be a view cd key. under links. enter that in and your good.
NO NO NO. You are wrong. This is one game that does NOT have the View CD-Key. Other games that need keys entered do. This is one that does not.

I too have the retail copy as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
fisk0

Have you tried verifying the game cache? Other games which have asked for CD keys when Steam does not provide one have started working after doing that.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
seseorang

Verifying the game ensures the files are in place. Running the game initiates the rest of the install; registry entries, cd-keys, etc
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
fisk0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seseorang View Post
Verifying the game ensures the files are in place. Running the game initiates the rest of the install; registry entries, cd-keys, etc
I guess, but I had a very similar issue with the steam game Chaser, which asked me for a CD key when I tried playing it for the first time, and just like with COD 1, Steam does not provide a key directly to the user. After verifying the cache, the game didn't ask for a key anymore.

I have not tried it with COD, so it might not work, but I just got the impression you hadn't tried because you thought verifying the game cache wouldn't fix such issues.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
seseorang

You just need to understand what things are doing.

Clicking "Install" will only extract the compressed files from the server and placed on your hard drive.
When you "Play" the game, there is a file which is read and the installers are set up to place where necessary the registry, DirectX, openAL, DirectX, Distributable 2005, DirectX, Distributable 2008, DirectX. Yeah, DirectX over and over for many games gets annoying.
The CD-Keys are usually provided in the registry that is inserted automatically which the game reads from and thus uses.
For games that do not support the key inserted this way, you are required to enter the key manually, hence why you can always check this out and "CD-Key" is displayed and you can have the key remain on screen until it needs to be entered.

I understand how this process works - but I like to be sure I know the obvious first.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
xXjm94Xx

I have been able to play all the other CoD games online (UO,2,4,WaW), the only one that doesn't have a CD Key is Call of Duty 1. I would still like to play it online, because I like it better than UO's multiplayer.
xXjm94Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
seseorang

If you're having problems with the Steam version of Call of Duty and can't get the key, tell me which version of Windows you are running and I will tell you where and how to retrieve the key
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
xXjm94Xx

Quote:
If you're having problems with the Steam version of Call of Duty and can't get the key, tell me which version of Windows you are running and I will tell you where and how to retrieve the key
I am running Windows Vista Basic (32-bit)
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
seseorang

In the registry go to

HKEY_Local_Machine\\Software\\Activision\\Call of Duty

You can use serach in the start menu and type "regedit"
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
xXjm94Xx

Quote:
In the registry go to

HKEY_Local_Machine\\Software\\Activision\\Call of Duty

You can use serach in the start menu and type "regedit"
That worked, thanks man

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Call of Duty