Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crysis series

Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
garylisk

Unhappy Crysis won't run, black screen then crash

I have tried to run it within Steam as well as externally using the exe. Nothing seems to work. I even tried to run it via Gamespy Comrade, which I had it install even though I bet I didn't need to. I get a black screen, it sits for a few seconds, then it goes windowed mode and Windows pops up a message that says "Crysis has stopped working... Windows is checking for a solution." and then eventually it says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." which there apparently is not.

Running Win7 x64, everything else I have runs fine. (Borderlands, Bioshock 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, WoW, CoD4, Half Life, Left4Dead2, TF2, list goes on and on, I game a lot :P )

Anyway, is anyone else having this issue? I mean, even if I can't figure out how to run it, I bought it during the big summer sale, so I am not out that much money. Still would like to play, though.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
hello moto

Try running in Dx9 and Run as Administrator for the game.
hello moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
garylisk

Yeah I read somewhere that I could run it in DX9 somehow (Even though I run other games in DX10, so it would be odd for that to be the problem.) but I can't figure out HOW. Supposedly I right click on the game and tell it to run DX9, but that is not an option.

-EDIT
That is, indeed, what it was. I found info online about the command line option -dx9. I'll try and run it in DX10 mode again now that it's not in a low resolution, perhaps it will like that better.

-EDIT2
Wow this is such a major let-down. I wanted to play Crysis in all its DirectX 10 glory, but the stupid thing won't run in DX10 mode! I even reinstalled DirectX! I can run other DX10 games, so this is really weird! Lord of the Rings Online works, as does Bioshock 1/2 (Those are DirectX 10 if I am not mistaken).

Man this really makes me angry!

-EDIT3
So, apparently Steam does not deliver the newest version of Crysis, 1.2.1 - I am currently downloading 2 patches from EA. I was under the assumption that Steam was supposed to keep its games up to date. I hope this fixes the problem.

-EDIT4
Good lord, I give up. Playing this game in DX10 mode is not in the cards. The updates won't work, I guess they don't recognize the Steam installation. It sure as hell says the game is version 1.1.1.1 in the menu when I run it in DX9 mode. SUPPOSEDLY according to a couple places I looked the patch fixed the issue for a couple of people out there. There is also apparently a 64 bit version of the app, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference as long as the 32 bit exe is large address aware.

Last edited by garylisk: 07-08-2010 at 04:08 AM.
garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
garylisk

SOLUTION:
See sticky above:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1221787

64 bit exe solved my problem. While I still think the 32 bit one should have worked just fine, I am not arguing. It works now, in DX10 mode.
garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
hello moto

Glad to know its working again. I would of replied quicker but I was playing CS:S
hello moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
louisfaeth

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylisk View Post
I have tried to run it within Steam as well as externally using the exe. Nothing seems to work. I even tried to run it via Gamespy Comrade, which I had it install even though I bet I didn't need to. I get a black screen, it sits for a few seconds, then it goes windowed mode and Windows pops up a message that says "Crysis has stopped working... Windows is checking for a solution." and then eventually it says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." which there apparently is not.

Running Win7 x64, everything else I have runs fine. (Borderlands, Bioshock 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, WoW, CoD4, Half Life, Left4Dead2, TF2, list goes on and on, I game a lot :P )

Anyway, is anyone else having this issue? I mean, even if I can't figure out how to run it, I bought it during the big summer sale, so I am not out that much money. Still would like to play, though.

Same problem for me too bro, I really wish that steam would have posted on the game info page that Windows 7 x64 was pretty much a no go for crysis series.. I too bought the weekend 'deal', and a deal it was if you are running vista, or xp... but all the troubleshooting that has been talked about in this forum I have tried to no avail.
I blame EA, not steam.. but I still wish that they would have noted on the game info page that a lot of people running windows 7 x64 encounter problems and that gameplay for some is pretty much futile.
louisfaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
louisfaeth

Talking

Ok, I just got warhead to work, by disabling my Avast Real time shields, For some reason Avast directly interferes with the launching of the game for me, in 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode as well.

Now I feel like a moron for not exempting Crysis/ from Avast scanning.
*head in palm*

I think that that was the only thing that was preventing me from playing the original crysis as well. After I re download it I will Post status
louisfaeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crysis series