Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover

Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Poodle

[Bug; Mac] Demo "hangs" after talking to insane pirate

In the Mac demo, after initiating a conversation with the insane pirate at the Stumble Inn, the game displays "ha harr!" (or similar) but there is no forthcoming text or voice-over. However, I'm no longer able to interact with anything else in the scene or move anywhere else either so I'm then stuck. The only way to fix it is to quit/continue but then I have to sit through Captain Howell's "join me crew, har har" conversation again which is quite long even when skipping over the sentences by mouse-clicking. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
brawsome

Brawsome Pty Ltd.
Hey Poodle, this is news to me... I wonder if it's Mac only? I wonder if it has something to do with background conversations? I wonder if it's just the Mac demo? I wonder if it only occurs after talking to the Insane Pirate directly after talking to Howell for the first time before changing scenes?

I haven't heard of it before now, but I've got it on my list to follow up, thanks for letting me know the Insane Pirate is the trigger, which might help narrow it down.

If you had any more information on the issue that'd be ace!
brawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
brawsome

Brawsome Pty Ltd.
Hi again,

I've identified the problem, it is indeed a Mac only problem.

If you're intersted, the actual problem stems from the new Mac PlayGround engine handling the callback from voice files finishing differently to the PC version. The result is that sometimes lines of dialog will fail to automatically continue unless you click the mouse to force them to continue. The major problem in this case is that you can't click to advance conversations that happen in the background, if one of those files doesn't trigger finishing properly, the game will hang while it waits for that to happen, this is what was happening with the insane pirate.

I've fixed the issue and will roll out a new build as soon as I can, watch this thread for an update.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
brawsome

Brawsome Pty Ltd.
I've uploaded a new Mac demo to the site: http://www.brawsome.com.au/JollyRove....php?page=demo, which fixes the issue. I've uploaded new builds to Valve and will let you know when they're up.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Poodle

Great, thanks a lot. I was going to play it this weekend to see if I could give you some additional debug information but now I can actually play it this weekend instead! Thanks again and another big thanks for supporting the Mac!
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
brawsome

Brawsome Pty Ltd.
Hi Poodle,

No worries, glad I could help!

Just letting you know the Mac demo and full versions have been updated now on Steam, so you should be good to go!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover