Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Prototype series

Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Askjosh

Audio/Video stuttering fixed.

Fellow gamers,

if you have a system board with an onboard Realtek High Definition Audio card then you have most likely experienced a lot of video and audio stuttering in the game. This is because of a problem with the audio drivers that seems to have been fixed with the latest driver release from Realtek.

Download here: Version R2.50 - 07/09/2010

PS if this works for you please your feedback below.

*** Update ***

Well it seems that its only partially fixed. I can watch the web intrigue video's just fine as long as i view them immediately after loading a save game. any web intrigue video's I find for the first time still play with audio stuttering and i have to exit the game then reload to watch the video again without stuttering.

*** Update # 2 ***

Okay so I have tried the HID trick and it works great now I can play the game just fine without any lag for almost two hours. I still have to restart the game after two or so hours but still thats a vast improvement over the way it was before.

Last edited by Askjosh: 07-15-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
kaitoukid08

i have this on Windows 7 64 bit didn't updated my Realtek and i'm not having video/audio stuttering problem this is probably only on XP/Vista
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
CloudLevi

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 or whatever and it STILL does this. I've tried minimizing my audio quality and got NOTHING out of it...nothing has changed at all.
CloudLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Anza Power

I've just bought the game and have the same problem, the game runs with lag when playing and when you exit to the menu the lag becomes 100x worse, so it takes me an hour to go to the options menu in the game and try to lower everything down and that still doesn't work...

Tried so far:
Lowering quality and everything in-game to lowest.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration.

Gonna try updating my driver and the audio file fix here: http://ahkong.net/prototype-sound-fix/ if you never hear from me again, that means we've all been screwed with this game...
Anza Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Anza Power

^ The extracting Audio archives worked for me, the game performance went up 100% and everything seems normal although some cut-scenes still have static, also I think there's supposed to be civilian sounds (people screaming and stuff) that's been disabled because of the fix, meh I can live with it...

Just extract 00audio.rcf and 01audio.rcf and rename them and Audio/ambience.p3d so the game won't find them and hope that does it...

Last edited by Anza Power: 11-29-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
p01ntl3ss

i have this same audio stutering. im running on a win7 64 bit with an asus xonar soudcard. i do have a realtek onboard but i do not use it.

There is no new (better?) driver for my xonar. anybody with a hint how to solve this stutter sound?

many thanks in advance
p01ntl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Ravenger

Disabling the extra HID items my Saitek keyboard installs did the trick for me.
Ravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
nubmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anza Power View Post
^ The extracting Audio archives worked for me, the game performance went up 100% and everything seems normal although some cut-scenes still have static, also I think there's supposed to be civilian sounds (people screaming and stuff) that's been disabled because of the fix, meh I can live with it...

Just extract 00audio.rcf and 01audio.rcf and rename them and Audio/ambience.p3d so the game won't find them and hope that does it...
I've tried to follow the steps that are somewhat explained, but it's not really clear so I think I made a mistake somewhere. I reinstalled my game afterwards ( cuz it was kinda fudged up ) but still have major lagg/sound issue's. Can anyone who has done this to fix his/her problems, explain it to me more thoroughly? ( as in, do I extract "all files" or "selected file" or what? O.o )

I'm rlly confused and frustrated about not being able to play the game proper, so I'd love some help :/

Last edited by nubmuffin: 03-05-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Anza Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubmuffin View Post
I've tried to follow the steps that are somewhat explained, but it's not really clear so I think I made a mistake somewhere. I reinstalled my game afterwards ( cuz it was kinda fudged up ) but still have major lagg/sound issue's. Can anyone who has done this to fix his/her problems, explain it to me more thoroughly? ( as in, do I extract "all files" or "selected file" or what? O.o )

I'm rlly confused and frustrated about not being able to play the game proper, so I'd love some help :/
http://ahkong.net/prototype-sound-fix/

This is the site where I found my solution at...

The most important part is removing the ambience.p3d file, try to follow the tutorial in the link step by step (without getting too distracted by the backgrounds in the snapshots) if you're not sure how the file tree should look like (don't know if the files should go in Audio/ or Audio/Audio/ ...) do as I did and paste copies in both, if no luck I could re-install Prototype on my PC and show you the file tree...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
nubmuffin

Quote:
http://ahkong.net/prototype-sound-fix/

This is the site where I found my solution at...

The most important part is removing the ambience.p3d file, try to follow the tutorial in the link step by step (without getting too distracted by the backgrounds in the snapshots) if you're not sure how the file tree should look like (don't know if the files should go in Audio/ or Audio/Audio/ ...) do as I did and paste copies in both, if no luck I could re-install Prototype on my PC and show you the file tree...
Well, I placed the files in audio/ and renamed the ambience.p3d file, but I was unsure on how to extract the files ( 00 and 01 audio ). There were three options to extract, all files, selected files and directory. No explaination was given on which to select so it was rather unclear to me on what and how.

I choose to extract "all files" from 00 and 01 audio to /audio and then renamed "ambience.p3d" to "notmeanttoplay" and changed the 00 and 01 audio to lol1 and lol2.

However after this it still didn't work :/

on and I don't know if this matters, but I'm running Vista SP2
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Anza Power

^ Oh well I'm running XP, when I was looking for my solution found lots of other stuff you might need to do for Vista like disabling vsync and HID devices, I'm sorry I cannot provide much help on this because none of those fixes are related to XP but you can read this thread http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1788 and see what solution works for you, different people same problem different solution, there isn't really one big general solution...

The thread in the Activision forum might have all possible solutions in there but it might take you a while to find the one for you...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
nubmuffin

Quote:
^ Oh well I'm running XP, when I was looking for my solution found lots of other stuff you might need to do for Vista like disabling vsync and HID devices, I'm sorry I cannot provide much help on this because none of those fixes are related to XP but you can read this thread http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1788 and see what solution works for you, different people same problem different solution, there isn't really one big general solution...

The thread in the Activision forum might have all possible solutions in there but it might take you a while to find the one for you...

Ok, so I've tried turning off V-sync, lowered my sounds card to 41400 HZ and turned the HID's. I'm about to give prototype an other try and I'm hoping it works. If it does, I'll let you know, if it doesn't, I'm giving up :/

EDIT: oke it worked. Not only did the in-game performance went up by like a zillion times, the cinematics now play perfectly.

This was my fix. Turning off V-sync, turning off any HID except for my game controll, mouse and keyboard, tuning the ms to 32 ms and placing my sounds at 48000 Hz 24 bit.

Last edited by nubmuffin: 03-08-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Anza Power

^ Glad to hear it, have fun playing, after I fixed mine I still got some minor trouble when using sense powers (you'll unlock them later), just try to forget all the trouble this game costs and focus on enjoying it...:P
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
nubmuffin

Quote:
^ Glad to hear it, have fun playing, after I fixed mine I still got some minor trouble when using sense powers (you'll unlock them later), just try to forget all the trouble this game costs and focus on enjoying it...:P
oh, I enjoyed it a lot :P. Already finished the game 100% on easy now and am currently doing the same on normal ^^
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
CloudLevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudLevi View Post
I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 or whatever and it STILL does this. I've tried minimizing my audio quality and got NOTHING out of it...nothing has changed at all.
Audigy SE here. Horrible sound on cutscenes...
CloudLevi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Prototype series