Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III

Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Smac1018

Arrow "Beautifying" Morrowind

The following list contains mods and adjustments to Morrowind to increase the overall quality of the game. Most of them are re-textures or replacements along with a few bug fixes and adjustments.
I'm doing my best to keep the following list free from anything that'll drastically change the game or remove the original feel of it. I like to think that most, if not all mods here are within spirit of what Bethesda intended the game to be.
I'm hoping this thread will clear up some questions among the board asking for suggestions for mods and how to "Beautify" the game.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Getting Started

Before installing any mods it is highly suggested that you look up tutorials or advice on the proper way to install them via every internet users best friend, Google.
If you have basic computer knowledge you'll know what folder goes where and to merge duplicates, overwrite old files, etc.
If you have any questions regarding the installing of a mod feel free to ask here.

First and foremost since this is the Steam Forum. There is a fix that needs to be applied in order for certain textures to work.

First, disable Steam community in-game: go to your Steam settings window and choose the "In-game" tab, then uncheck the "Steam Community In-Game" box. You should also redate morrowind.bsa, tribunal.bsa, and bloodmoon.bsa to year 2002. In the location where you installed Steam, look for "...Steam\SteamApps\common\morrowind" folder - Morrowind's bsa's will be located under the "Data Files" folder. You'll need a 3rd party utility to redate the files. A quick Google search should yield some results. Personally I used "Set File Date" which can be found here.
[Note:]This link may not always be up or work on all machines.

Explanation for redating:
The stock meshes and textures are contained in the bsa archives, and they inherit the datestamp from the bsas which the Steam version sets to the date and time you downloaded and installed. That results in those assets overriding any other 3rd-party versions unless the bsas are redated to year 2002. Individual versions of meshes and textures with a more recent datestamp placed in the "...\Data Files\Meshes" and "...\Data Files\Textures" folders (respectively) will get priority over the stock archive versions (due to the default setting for "TryArchiveFirst=0" in Morrowind.ini; 0 tells the game engine to use newer assets based on datestamp), but for whatever reason the distantland files do not follow that rule unless the archives have been redated to an earlier date.

Now, onto the mods.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Player mods
- Better Bodies
- Better Heads
- Better Beast Bodies
- Better Clothes
- Better Weapons
- Better armor - 512 x 512
- Better armor - 1024 x 1024
  • This file requires deletion of the "tx_a_imperialchain_f_c.dds" located in the "Misc" folder
- Weapon Sheaths

Area changes & Tweaks
- Visual Pack
  • This file should be the first installed among graphic changes as it serves as a base for other mods to overwrite
- Mesh improvements
- Hlaalu Buildings Re-texture
- Telvanni Re-texture
- Lighting Enhancement
- -Morrowind Code Patch- -
  • This file contains numerous optional game changes. Run the installer and apply changes as you see fit.
  • For the following mods "Bump map/reflect map local lighting" must be enabled.
- - Waterfalls
- - Containers
- - Realistic Armor
  • This files should be applied after any of the "Better Armors" located above in "Player Mods"
- - Imperial Housing Re-texture
- - Road Marker Re-texture

Wildlife & Plant mods
- Tribunal Creature Re-Texture
- Bloodmoon Creature Re-texture
- Morrowind Creature Re-texture
  • This file requires the deletion of the "tx_kwama_foragerspit.dds" located in the "Texture" folder
- Silt Strider Re-texture
- Bitter Coast Tree Replacer
- Ascadian Isles Tree Replacer*
- Solstheim Tree & Bush Re-texture*
- Animated Grass**
- Lava & Smoke Re-texture
- Tree Replacer*
- West Gash Tree Re-texture*
* Usable with MGE
** MGE is required

Various Item mods
- Bottle Replacer
- Souly Soulgems
- Shiny Septims
- Journal & Scrolls
- Silverware Enhancer
- Better Skulls
- Better Books

Popular Mod Sites
- The Elder Scroll Nexus
- Planet Elder Scrolls

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Morrowind Graphics Extender

One major step in increasing your Morrowind playing experience is to install Morrowind Graphics Extender or "MGE".
While I am providing some info about it if you wish to discuss MGE or have questions or comments about it please refer to the official topic found on the Bethesda forums.
The official topic can usually be found among the first few pages of the Forum.
The following info is taken straight from the MGE topic.

Bethesda Forums - http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/12-mods/

What it is: MGE is a utility to add Oblivion style distant land and HDR to Morrowind, as well as many other graphical and input related tweaks such as enabling fog, water reflections, and adjusting the resolution to your liking. It is also a required utility for some mods which make use of the additional scripting functions it provides.MGE is a complex program working in a complex environment. There are lots of things which can prevent it from working, or at least prevent it from working as you want it to. You may need a certain level of computer literacy to solve these problems. Also, be prepared to spend some time experimenting with what options work best (or at all) for you.

Downloads and important links:Required
Related Downloads and Links:__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Last edited by Smac1018: 07-12-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Jito463

I've already installed most of those, just from browsing TESNexus and PlanetElderScrolls, but it's a good compilation to have in one place. Nice job. The only mod you're missing, that I highly recommend, is Better Eyes for the Better Bodies mod. It's a subtle touch, but it makes a world of difference.

For anyone else considering these mods, I can guarantee that - while it's a fair bit of work to install and configure all of them - it will make Morrowind look massively better.

*EDIT*

Found the link I was looking for.

EYES for Better Heads

Last edited by Jito463: 07-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Jito463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
trojanrabbit.gg

Just found this thread. Good stuff. Figured I would bump it back up so people would see it.
trojanrabbit.gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
MrSmit

I used a more extensive guide found here

Great list but you forgot about Wrye Mash and Mlox, two tools that I can't live without
MrSmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Lokwassen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmit View Post
Great list but you forgot about Wrye Mash and Mlox, two tools that I can't live without
How do you use Wrye Mash to change the dates of the .bsa files? Even on the website, only the .esm files appear.

Last edited by Lokwassen: 12-23-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: on. not one.
Lokwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
MrSmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokwassen View Post
How do you use Wrye Mash to change the dates of the .bsa files? Even on the website, only the .esm files appear.
I don't know if you can, I just used Attribute Changer for that. Wyre Mash is great for merging leveled lists from mods, cleaning save files when adding/removing mods, and updating master lists.
Mlox is like BOSS for Oblivion except, not only does it sort the load order of hundreds of mods, it tells you conflicts between mods, if you have checked wrong versions, or if you need an updated patch etc.
They are both great tools
MrSmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Jerx99

http://morrowind2011.wordpress.com/

This is a newly released compilation pack of visual-enhancing mods for morrowind, that includes most of the above and more, but in one single package complete with instructions for every setting.

His preview video is AMAZING, it looks way better than oblivion (apart from character faces, but that's a game limitation.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
aaronsobush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerx99 View Post
http://morrowind2011.wordpress.com/

This is a newly released compilation pack of visual-enhancing mods for morrowind, that includes most of the above and more, but in one single package complete with instructions for every setting.

His preview video is AMAZING, it looks way better than oblivion (apart from character faces, but that's a game limitation.
The link is no longer available. Any idea where this file could be located at now? I have recently started playing this game for the first time and have installed many enhancement mods but I am intrigued by it looking "way better" then Oblivion.
aaronsobush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
trojanrabbit.gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsobush View Post
The link is no longer available. Any idea where this file could be located at now? I have recently started playing this game for the first time and have installed many enhancement mods but I am intrigued by it looking "way better" then Oblivion.
Check out my recent post here. The 2011 compilation really is nothing special.
trojanrabbit.gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
rpmfidel

Bumping this back up
rpmfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Sam Mizu

You may find some error messages for TESNexus. They split it into the oblivion.nexusmods and morrowind.nexusmods.com to better help players find the mods they are looking.

P.S. Great list. Need to get my game rig working again before I can download a good number of these.
Sam Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
POOTDISPENSER

Bookmarked. Thanks for this!
POOTDISPENSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
jomplox

Bumping for all the new comers!
jomplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
koima57

Unnecessary bump (outdated content..) but i'll make it worth with my post.
All a new comer needs can be found here :

http://morrowindoverhaul.rpgitalia.net/

Last edited by koima57: 07-21-2012 at 12:31 PM.
koima57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III