Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Secret of Monkey Island series

Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
start

Monkey Island 2 SE -- Can't access saved games

Hi Guys.

I've just purchased the new SE of Monkey Island 2 using steam.
Now I have couple of questions .

1. Do I have (MUST) use steam to start the game ? I mean , after it's already on my computer why can't I start it just like any other game I purchased.
2. I know that I can use offline mode. I've chosen to start in offline mode , but still ; when I start the game it's trying to connect to steam and check for updates (although I've disabled this option under the game properties in stream games list).
3. MOST Important !!! : I've played the game for about an hour , saved my status couple of times (used 5 slots) and exit the game.
Today , when starting the game again , I couldn't find any saved games from yesterday , and the only option was to start a new game.

Also -- Everything that was already available under "Achivments" was gone.

I've read that games are automatically saved on the steam network , but I couldn't find it. I want a local copy of saved games - I.e - if going with my laptop to a place where I have no network available.

4. Is there a retail version to purchase ? Also is there a retail version for THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND - SE ?

Please help
Thanks
start@slimail.com

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
LordTrilobite

Sounds like you need to be online to access your save games. Since it uses Steamcloud, which is something in Steam, it's used to store your savegames on the internet so you can access them on any pc. I'm not sure but I figure you need to be online to access them.

And there are no retail versions.
LordTrilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
start

Thanks ,
But I already tried this. I tried going online and start the game again. Still it's not working. Is there a way to cancel cloud ? If I don't want to use cloud ?.
Can I set it that everything is local ?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
AntiFritz

Right click on the game and go properties, theirs an option to turn it off. People these days just dont search through the options do they.
AntiFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
start

Can't accss saved games.

Hi .

I tried this already. I already went to options , and disabled the automatic update and also cloud. I've also set steam to work in offline mode.

The game is working fine in offline mode , and I can save games BUT when I exit the game , and than starting it again I can't see any saved games in the list.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Zodler

I also would like to know where are the saved games *locally*?
Zodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Lamento

Sam problem here. Undeliberately switching between steam's on- and offline mode (even when cloud features are completely disabled) makes the saves disappear forever.
Very annoying!
Lamento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Lamento

This game definitely does not work correctly with cloud disabled -- a bug?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
SKA-T

Mine works fine with steam cloud turned off under the updates tab for the game. It might be a weird permission issue in the folder where the savegame file is kept. It's called monkey2.bin and it has all the save slots in one file. It's located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\bunchofnumbers\32460\remote\m onkey2.bin

I didn't know if the bunch of numbers folder in userdata was unique to me and something I shouldn't give out, but it's the only folder in userdata so I hope it's the only folder for everyone else. Unless maybe someone else used your computer to login to their steam account. Not real sure about that. Anyway that's where I found mine, if your game isn't saving/loading properly maybe the folder permissions got screwed up or something. I'm not really sure but I thought it would help for people to know where the save file is.

Last edited by SKA-T: 07-21-2010 at 09:25 AM.
SKA-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #10
Lamento

I've already finished the game with cloud on, but this is interesting information nonetheless. Thanks, SKA-T!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Secret of Monkey Island series