Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series

Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
kramed

Any mods that make Far Cry 2 good?

I tried Far Cry 2 when it first came out. It sucked, with all the check points and respawning enemies every 20 feet. Were any mods ever made that fixed the annoying parts of the game? The open world concept could have been so great...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramed View Post
I tried Far Cry 2 when it first came out. It sucked, with all the check points and respawning enemies every 20 feet. Were any mods ever made that fixed the annoying parts of the game? The open world concept could have been so great...
I'm afraid that those "annoying parts of the game" ARE the game.

Play it differently, is my suggestion. It's not really designed for run'n'gun. You can get around the guard posts.

Personally, I like the respawning, because I can open it up and play it at any time I just feel like wandering through Africa and killing bad guys.

Aside from that - nope, no mods. There is no SDK, and Ubisoft, in their not-at-all infinite wisdom decided that they would make no provisions for modders outside of the included map editor. You can't even add 3D models or even change textures for the game, let alone script entire conversion mods.

Bad choice on their part - FC2 could have been a screaming success if they had included an SDK.

I still like it as-is though.
FreemanForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
ZeroSignal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanForPrez View Post

Play it differently, is my suggestion.
No thanks, I'll just continue to not play a game that arbitrarily spawns enemies on you like that.

I like driving around way too much in games that allow it, and that alone completely killed the game for me. I only spent $15 on this game when it was on sale, and I still regret buying it.
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
noman_ex

Just drive off road. You encounter them far less often then. Also use the bus station.
noman_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
JK_DC

I am playing on Infamous and according to the statistics I have walked further than I have driven. That is the key. Check out the map and find your objective. Is it close to the river or a bus stop? If so take a boat or the bus. There is only as much driving in the game as you want. If the objective is not reasonably close to either then drive, but drive offroad through the grass. You don't have to kill anyone to scout a checkpoint. Just use the sightglass from about 100 feet away. At night I can drive a boat right past the checkpoints at full speed and maybe get hit once on Infamous remember. Try that during the day and you won't make it past.

I am also playing without quicksaving and using my safehouses and missions for saves as originally intended. It is very doable with a sniper rifle. I wouldn't try Infamous without one. I believe I only died a handful of times the whole first act. The beginning of the second act though is pretty much impossible without dieing a few times. lol I didn't think I would ever make it out of town.
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DC View Post
I am playing on Infamous and according to the statistics I have walked further than I have driven. That is the key. Check out the map and find your objective. Is it close to the river or a bus stop? If so take a boat or the bus. There is only as much driving in the game as you want. If the objective is not reasonably close to either then drive, but drive offroad through the grass. You don't have to kill anyone to scout a checkpoint. Just use the sightglass from about 100 feet away. At night I can drive a boat right past the checkpoints at full speed and maybe get hit once on Infamous remember. Try that during the day and you won't make it past.
That's a good way to play up to a certain point, but IMO you're denying yourself alot of fun if you don't drive.
Depending on what kind of mood I'm in when I play it, I might sneak past checkpoints, but once you get good enough with the jeeps with the guns, blasting through a checkpoint and then whipping around and getting on the machine gun or grenade launcher to take them all out can be alot of fun too.
Or you can get close to the guard post and then open fire on them before proceeding through, and wait for them to come to you.
I play on Infamous all the time too.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
JK_DC

I got the MGL and checkpoints are no problem any more. LOL But I have the 73% game ending bug after I have logged 40 hours into the game. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU Ubisoft!!! So I have to either borrow someones save so I can finish the game even though I did 38/40 of the side missions. ARGHH!
JK_DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DC View Post
I got the MGL and checkpoints are no problem any more. LOL But I have the 73% game ending bug after I have logged 40 hours into the game. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU Ubisoft!!! So I have to either borrow someones save so I can finish the game even though I did 38/40 of the side missions. ARGHH!

Damn, I wish you had posted this just a week ago. I just recently deleted all my old FC 2 saves - I had several .zip files with entire games in them, hundreds of save points.. but they were just taking up space so I got rid of them.
The saves I have left right now are only as far as right after beginning on the 2nd map.
Sorry to hear it - I never got that bug, but that would really pi55 me off too.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
likethematrix

How-To-Mod Tutorial for Far Cry 2

Quote:

Play it differently, is my suggestion. It's not really designed for run'n'gun. You can get around the guard posts.

Personally, I like the respawning, because I can open it up and play it at any time I just feel like wandering through Africa and killing bad guys.

Aside from that - nope, no mods. There is no SDK, and Ubisoft, in their not-at-all infinite wisdom decided that they would make no provisions for modders outside of the included map editor. You can't even add 3D models or even change textures for the game, let alone script entire conversion mods.

Bad choice on their part - FC2 could have been a screaming success if they had included an SDK.

I still like it as-is though.
RaZoR's How-To-Mod tutorial for Far Cry 2 - Editor Objects:
http://www.fc2-actionmaps.com/forum/....php?f=21&t=67

&

Finos Editor Mod™:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...6/m/7001084188

You'll need to find a previous version, i can't remember which one. As v3.8.49 hasn't been released in the US yet.

*Note* Hasn't been tested with the downloaded version of Far Cry 2.

Last edited by likethematrix: 05-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
s3ntin3l

The suggestions made so far are all good ones - use boats, drive cross-country, use buses, drive straight past checkpoints instead of fighting through them (on normal mode you can just breeze past them as long as you don't crash).

Also, this mod isn't out yet but looks promising:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-2-immersion

...so keep an eye on that and you may have what you're looking for soon!
s3ntin3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
FreemanForPrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ntin3l View Post
<snip>

Also, this mod isn't out yet but looks promising:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/farcry-2-immersion

...so keep an eye on that and you may have what you're looking for soon!

The mod at the link says:
Quote:
The immersion mod sets out to tweak: -weapon damage -weapon accuracy -vehicle speeds -vehicle health -Checkpoint respawn times.
IMO, out of that list the only thing I think that needs to be changed is the checkpoint respawn and maybe the weapon damage. I personally don't see any problems with the vehicle speeds or damage.

I think at this point the best we can hope for is that Ubisoft releases a full mission Editor with Far Cry 3.

The Map Editor in Far Cry 2 is brilliant, but the comparative lack of interest in FC2 MP kinda of nullified it.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Havoc_53

Quote:
Damn, I wish you had posted this just a week ago. I just recently deleted all my old FC 2 saves - I had several .zip files with entire games in them, hundreds of save points.. but they were just taking up space so I got rid of them.
The saves I have left right now are only as far as right after beginning on the 2nd map.
Sorry to hear it - I never got that bug, but that would really pi55 me off too.
Just to make things easier and not have long waits for when the save list is refreshed, I deleted the saves from each act after the act was completed. I haven't experienced any "73%" bug and am nearly finished.
Havoc_53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
bumbaclot

Try this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3421214
bumbaclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
kevycanavan

Yeah the key to the game is to only use the vehicles when you absolutely need to. They are there just like in real life, but you draw attention to yourself with the engine noise just like in real life.

Go on foot, be sneaky , make use of the bus routes and you will be successful. Also enjoy the scenery.
kevycanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
jkap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevycanavan View Post
Yeah the key to the game is to only use the vehicles when you absolutely need to. They are there just like in real life, but you draw attention to yourself with the engine noise just like in real life.

Go on foot, be sneaky , make use of the bus routes and you will be successful. Also enjoy the scenery.
true. being in a vehicle also makes you a fine target, especially on infamous. another important survival tactic is to keep moving. the ai will flank you quickly after learning your location so keep looking for lateral cover. stick n move.
jkap13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Far Cry series