I'm going to ramble for a bit, but first:
Copied from dxdiag:
Windows 7 Pro (6.1, Build 7600)
E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 GHz
ASUS Rampage Extreme
8192 Mb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
Bigfoot Killer M1 NIC
ASUS X-Fi (licensed from Creative but not in a useful way)
DX 11
.. and prolly some other stuff I cant remember.

So Steam changed their client to use Adobe Air technology (or I assume that is what it is) some time ago. I wasn't sure at first, but I gave it some time and I was liking it until two hours ago. I had been using Steam all week with no issues.

A storm rolled thru and I lost my cable-based internet and telephone - but not my cable TV. Since changing to Windows 7, this is the first time I tried to start a game offline - and I could not do it.

First, just like with the old client design, Steam spends a shockingly long time trying to connect to the Steam Cloud. [And that's just wrong, why cant I tell it not to bother?]

Then after about 3 minutes, what I presume to be an Adobe Air Applet appears in the lower right hand corner of my monitor. I recognize this as the dialogue for logon and choosing online or offline, just like the old client.

The problem is that this applet or dialogue window doesn't stick around. It's vapor. Either it vanishes when I try to close other windows to get to it, or it disappears *instantly* when I mouse over it. And naturally Steam.exe terminates at the same moment.

Since Steam insists on wasting 3-4 minutes trying to connect before even giving me the offline option, I wasted about 90 minutes trying to figure out if there was anything that I could do to interact with the logon/offline dialogue. The mouse pointer was fatal to it, so I tried Alt-Tab and other primitive desktop navigation methods to try to get to the "Start Offline" button, but nothing worked.

Now that I have internet access again, I can switch to Offline Mode fine - naturally. But I *should* be able to get offline to work.

Isn't there some method, like using a command line delimiter, to start directly in Offline Mode?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlMonster View Post
So Steam changed their client to use Adobe Air technology (or I assume that is what it is) some time ago. I wasn't sure at first, but I gave it some time and I was liking it until two hours ago. I had been using Steam all week with no issues.
Steam does not use Adobe Air or any technology like it. It is a native desktop application.

Quote:
Isn't there some method, like using a command line delimiter, to start directly in Offline Mode?
Unfortunately, there isn't a command line parameter that starts Steam in offline mode. The only two ways to start in offline mode are through the "Steam" menu, or the no connection dialog.

When no internet connection is available, you may want to disconnect your local connection. This sometimes helps with several issues when starting in offline mode including the time it takes to try to connect.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
KarlMonster

Thank you for your remarks.

If I cannot start offline directly, is there a way to make the logon/offline dialogue persistent?

If I cannot cause it to stay around so that I can click on it, then all of my games work *only* with internet access, since that is the only way that I can interact with the Offline Mode.

Silly me, I should have gone to Offline Mode before I lost my internet connection.
KarlMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Amander

Stat Steam and click "Offline mode" in the first menu. You can also disable your NIC in the device manager to force Steam to go into offline mode rightaway instead of wasting 4 minutes trying to connect.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Offline Mode needs to be set up properly while online.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
ridz1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Vampire View Post
Offline Mode needs to be set up properly while online.
Thanks, Silicon Vampire - interesting read but what happens if your ISP decides to cut off the internet connection for whatever reason (it happens here in Malaysia frequently) and you want to play, say single-player L4D. You can't start Steam and that means the main menu is inaccessible - how, then do you go offline?
ridz1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridz1a View Post
Thanks, Silicon Vampire - interesting read but what happens if your ISP decides to cut off the internet connection for whatever reason (it happens here in Malaysia frequently) and you want to play, say single-player L4D. You can't start Steam and that means the main menu is inaccessible - how, then do you go offline?
You will need to use the no connection dialog the displays when starting Steam without an internet connection. If Steam is fully updated, it should work.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Dragonshadow

Banned
Can someone try putting
Code:
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable
in a steam.cfg file in their steam folder and then running steam while they have no net access? It should prevent steam from trying to update and force it into offline mode.

Last edited by Dragonshadow: 07-16-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Maledict21

Dragonshadow, where did you find that information?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Dragonshadow

Banned
Googling steam.cfg stuff. I already knew how to stop updating, was looking for a way to force offline mode (which I found). Its the same file you put the full memory dumps line in.
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
ridz1a

Just a quick update - out of curiosity I disconnected my PC from the internet (by simply unplugging the ethernet cable) and started Steam. It started with a message that it cannot connect to the Steam network but there were 2 buttons with that message. One was "Retry Connection" and the other was "Start In Offline Mode". I did not recall this happening before but I guess Steam may have updated the program to do this. Kudos to Steam - its a big improvement over the previous version where it was simply impossible to go to offline mode if there was internet connection.

BTW, the offline mode works perfectly
ridz1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridz1a View Post
Just a quick update - out of curiosity I disconnected my PC from the internet (by simply unplugging the ethernet cable) and started Steam. It started with a message that it cannot connect to the Steam network but there were 2 buttons with that message. One was "Retry Connection" and the other was "Start In Offline Mode". I did not recall this happening before but I guess Steam may have updated the program to do this. Kudos to Steam - its a big improvement over the previous version where it was simply impossible to go to offline mode if there was internet connection.
That dialog has always been there. Perhaps a bug was preventing it from being displayed to you correctly.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips