Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3

Old 07-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
FailSquad69

No Way To Transfer DLC From GFWL To Steam?

If we bought them on GFWL, you'd think we'd be able to just activate the cd keys for them so we don't have to use GFWL and just use steam. Is there a way? Looks like GFWL doesn't have cd keys.im shown this since i bought through MS points.

Game Activation Key:
No key assigned

Anyone know if we might be able to in the future?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
ErrantConstruct

Probably not. The logistics the companies would have to work out for you to be able to do this just aren't worth it to them. I don't think I've ever heard of people being able to activate a product on steam that they bought through someone else's store, excluding games that rely on steam for copy-protection.
ErrantConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Warrentheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSquad69 View Post
If we bought them on GFWL, you'd think we'd be able to just activate the cd keys for them so we don't have to use GFWL and just use steam. Is there a way? Looks like GFWL doesn't have cd keys.im shown this since i bought through MS points.

Game Activation Key:
No key assigned

Anyone know if we might be able to in the future?
I am fairly sure you can, the files should be the same, but GFWL hides them deep in C:\Users\[usernamehere]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\DLC and names them wierd names and mixes them with other dlc for other games.

I just googled "games for windows live disable", the program that you download lets you disable the GFWL from even loading, use at your own risk, and read up before you click that one, but the other button it has is a "Move DLC" button that I think should do the move you are asking for, for you :-)

I have not tested this myself, and I would recommend that you do a steam files verification after you do....

Last edited by Warrentheo: 07-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Warrentheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
ErrantConstruct

Yes I've done what Warrentheo lists. Its fairly simple, but, like he said, it may screw your game up. I currently can't play for more than 3 minutes with the game crashing but that may not be due to moving my dlc. It probably has to do with the fact that Bethesda didn't make the game for Windows 7.

If you just move the files manually be sure you check their esm files under the data files option on the launcher, or if you plan on using other mods I recommend you find the Fallout Mod Manager. Its really good for handling all that stuff.
ErrantConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
Ankh

If you buy from GFWL, you can't then activate them on Steam and tie them to your account. You can however download from GFWL, extract the .esm and .bsa files and stick them in your fallout3/data folder to have them work perfectly. They're essentially just mod files.

Though with adding new .bsa files I think you have to toggle archiveinvalidation. I don't know the manual details so just get the Fallout Mod manager, it has a button for that. In fact, get the Fallout Mod manager regardless.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Warrentheo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrantConstruct View Post
Yes I've done what Warrentheo lists. Its fairly simple, but, like he said, it may screw your game up. I currently can't play for more than 3 minutes with the game crashing but that may not be due to moving my dlc. It probably has to do with the fact that Bethesda didn't make the game for Windows 7.

If you just move the files manually be sure you check their esm files under the data files option on the launcher, or if you plan on using other mods I recommend you find the Fallout Mod Manager. Its really good for handling all that stuff.
Check out This Link, It may fix Crashing...

Also, I ment the "Disable GFWL" button on that program may lead to problems down the road, but the "Move DLC" button should be fairly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
If you buy from GFWL, you can't then activate them on Steam and tie them to your account. You can however download from GFWL, extract the .esm and .bsa files and stick them in your fallout3/data folder to have them work perfectly. They're essentially just mod files.

Though with adding new .bsa files I think you have to toggle archiveinvalidation. I don't know the manual details so just get the Fallout Mod manager, it has a button for that. In fact, get the Fallout Mod manager regardless.
I did it that way for a while, don't need to disable validation for it AFAIK.
Warrentheo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3