Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm > Custom Campaigns / Maps

Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Korias

Second Wave: A Comprehensive Mod

Second Wave

A comprehensive Alien Swarm Mod, with new campaigns, weapons, equipment, characters, and more.
Everything below is the product of 11 hours of gameplay followed by a whole hell of a lot of brainstorming. Of course, we're keeping some things to ourselves for when we release.

New Weapons!
Each Weapon has a description, as well as any stats that are necessary for the weapon.

The Power Ammo Case
This weapon provides a drop that refills a user's Autogun/Minigun/Chaingun/Medigun/Immunobooster/Sentry Gun ammunition.
  • Ammo:3 cases. 1 use per case.

The Immunobooster (Medic Only)
Tired of pesky infections killing your squad before you can heal them? The Immunobooster injects anti-parasite medication into the target, killing infesting parasites faster than the standard medigun. However, the capacity for healing has been greatly reduced, and as opposed to the healing beam of the Medical Gun, the Immunobooster is an injection, so be careful with your shots!
  • Ammo 1x10

M868-B Chemical Sprayer
A variant of the M868 Flamethrower, the Chemical Sprayer has been outfitted with liquid nitrogen canisters to freeze the swarm instead of burning them. The spray also acts as a handy impromptu fire extinguisher as well, enabling you to douse your flaming comrades in the heat of battle.
  • Damage: 0
  • Fire Rate: 10.0/sec
  • Reload: 1.7/sec
  • Capacity: 60x6

M27 Avengers (Officer Only)
Distributed to NCOs that favor closer range tactics than the Vindicator can provide, these Vindicators have been modified for dual wielding and a wider spread for close quarters combat.
  • Damage: 65 (+Vindicator Bonus)
  • Fire Rate: 2.0/sec
  • Reload: 2.1/sec
  • Capacity: 28x3
  • AltFire: 4 Incendiary Grenades

Drone Launcher (Tech Marine Only)
Hacking and welding can often leave your squad's Tech Marine unprotected - until now. With the Drone Launcher, your Techie can create his own personal defenses while he hacks your way through to the objective. These hovering gun turrets only last for a bit before their batteries run out though, and they will also disengage if they run out of ammunition. What's more, the signaling device can only support three drones at a time, so keep an eye on your robotic defense to make sure you complete your mission.
  • Damage: 0 (Drone Bullets deal 5 Damage)
  • Fire Rate: 3.0/Sec
  • Reload: 4.7/sec
  • Capacity: 6x3 (Max Drones Active at any one time = 3) (Drone Ammo= 65 Shots)

Mark IV RPG
This high-powered explosive device is the perfect solution to any swarm issue. With a high AOE and the ability to punch through Shield Bug armor, the RPG comes special issue to the special forces. Be wary though- ammo is scarce and exceedingly hard to come by, so watch your shots so they hit their mark each time.
  • Damage: 250 (+Explosives)
  • Fire Rate: 0.4/sec
  • Reload: 3.6/sec
  • Capacity: 1x5

IAF Chaingun (Sp. Weapons Only)
This mobile variant of the IAF Minigun and Autogun is a respectable alternative to the others. The gun's ammunition is smaller, dealing less damage, but also more lightweight which enables the Marine to carry more of it. The drawback is that the gun itself is smaller, making the clips themselves smaller.
  • Damage: 6
  • Fire Rate: 13.0/sec
  • Reload: 2.2/sec
  • Capacity: 125x5
  • Notes: Auto-Aim

New Gear!
These new pieces of equipment are here to give the Marines a fighting chance against the swarm.

Stasis Field
Need some breathing room? Deploy a Stasis Field Generator, which expands an electrical field in a circle around itself. This field repels the swarm, but only for 20 seconds: Enough time for some reloading and healing before picking the fight back up.
  • Duration: 20 Seconds
  • Uses: 3
  • Radius: 1.5x Larger than the Damage Amplifier Radius

Magnetized Clips
These new Magnetized Clips slide right into place, reducing the time it takes to jam in a new mag and keep pumping lead (or electricity, or fire, or grenades...) into the swarm.
  • Duration: Passive
  • Effect: Reduces Reload Times by 1.0 seconds (To a minimum of one second)

New Characters and Stats!
Thats right: Reinforcements have arrived! A whole new squad is at your disposal. In addition to this, these characters also have access to two NEW stats.

Stats
Gear Bonus The Gear Bonus skill provides additional item uses to players. For every point a character has, they receive an additional Gear Use, and their squad-mates receive one for every two points they have.

Status Bonus The Status Bonus skill provides greater status effects when using weapons that inflict them: Enemies stay on fire longer, stay frozen longer, stay stunned longer, ect.

Characters
Rex (Officer)
Rex operates like clockwork - He knows the goal, and he maintains his team to achieve that goal. However, he is new to the leadership corps and has yet to earn the trust of his team, but to him that is simply another mission to him.
  • Leadership: 1/5
  • Vindicator: 3/5
  • Explosives: 3/5
  • Gear: 3/3
  • Speed: 4/5

Hawke (Sp.Weapons)
Hawke is meticulous, inspecting every round in his loadout for imperfections prior to deployment. Originally a gunsmith, he joined with the IAF to see his works in action and is extremely proud in his handiwork. He likes to see everything working the way it should: including the targets in front of him being taken down.
  • Autocannon: 3/5
  • Peircing: 4/5
  • Damage: 2/5
  • Reload: 3/5

H.A.L. (Medic)
H.A.L., or Helpful Automated Labtech, was originally designed for researching the swarm. After the lab was overrun, he was commandeered by the IAF to go into field combat. His emotionless temperament and deadpan statements often help keep his allies alive even when they're freaking out.
  • Healing: 4/5
  • Curing Infestation: 2/3
  • Health 4/5
  • Reload 1/5
  • Melee: 4/5

Glitch (Tech)
Mieko Hara was the product of a glitch in the system: Her internship was the result of a computer error that awarded the coveted scholarship with the IAF's Technician Division to two different applicants, and it was clear that her skill was somewhat of an overlooked part of her. The overly optimistic and perky 23 year old may be new to Special Forces, but she fights like a veteran.
  • Scanner: 3/3
  • Engineering: 2/3
  • Reload: 2/3
  • Item: 2/3
  • Speed: 3/5

New Class: The Psyker!
That's right: An entirely new class for you to play as. Psykers are imbued with potent psychic forces, either through genetic mutation or implants. In any case, this is the IAF's secret weapon against the swarm. This increases the total characters playable to 15: 5 Marines to a squad. This also means that if you're using this mod, you'll be able to create a team of five. However, all campaigns that are in this mod will still be completable with four players.

Stats
Resonance This statistic affects the damage dealt with Psyker weapons.
Control This statistic affects the number of creatures that can be controlled by the Psyker. Each point is another creature that can be controlled. Larger creatures, such as Boomers or Shield Bugs, are immune to this effect.

Characters
Adam
Fresh from the Academy, Adam's latent abilities and exceeding proficiency with the psychic arms earned him a spot on the team. He's somewhat self-centered, often finishing other's sentences to get to the end result faster, but he keeps close to his squad-mates to ensure their mutual survival.
  • Resonance: 5/5
  • Control: 1/5
  • Reload: 3/5
  • Melee: 2/5

Eve
When the IAF Marines came in, they found Eve half infested during a sweep for any survivors on her colony. The medic on the squad was able to cure her of the physical damage, but the mental scarring took it's toll. Now, she's out for revenge against the swarm for killing her family, and the all consuming hatred of the swarm fuels her pleasure for watching it collapse from within.
  • Resonance: 1/5
  • Control: 5/5
  • Speed: 5/5
  • Reload: 1/5
  • Item: 1/3

Craig
A former Marine, Craig was a late commer to the Academy's Psyker program. His talents aren't as refined as the other Psykers', but neither is his personality. He is gruff, unkempt, and often wild: but that wild nature has saved the life of more than one soldier, and ultimately one less pair of tags he keeps with him.
  • Resonance 3/5
  • Control 2/5
  • Health 2/5
  • Damage 4/5
  • Reload 3/5

Weapons
All the weapons below are restricted to Psykers, but they are all valid weapons in their own right.

PsyCarbine
Standard issue to IAF Psykers, the PsyCarbine fires small bolts of physical psychic energy into foes. It does less damage than the weapons of a standard soldier, but it pulls ammunition directly from the Psyker's internal mental reserves, creating a seemingly neverending amount of ammunition.
  • Damage: 4 (+Resonance)
  • Fire: 8.4/Sec
  • Reload: 3.2/Sec
  • Capacity: 98xInfinite
  • Notes: Infinite Ammo, but must reload each clip.

Telekinetic Shotgun
Firing pre-made custom shells that are amplified with the Psyker's mental energy, the shotgun deals devastating close range damage. The drawback is that the rounds die out after a certain distance as the Psyker's concentration falters, making long range combat impossible.
  • Damage: 140 (+Resonance)
  • Fire: 1.0/Sec
  • Reload: 1.5/Sec
  • Capacity: 6x9
  • Notes: Stuns

Control Array
This weapon enables a Psyker to link their will with that of an alien, in effect making the target adopt the cause and drive of the Psyker and turning it against the swarm. To ensure that aliens of the swarm are not being smuggled by rogue Psykers, the IAF implemented a failsafe: Targets linked die after sixty seconds, their brain being fried by the electrical impulse from the connection dart. The Psyker may also terminate their targets at will while using this weapon.
  • Damage: 0
  • Fire: 0.6/Sec
  • Reload: 3.2/Sec
  • Capacity: 10x10
  • Notes: Slow Move, Control Limit = 1+Control Rank
  • AltFire: Kills Controlled Targets
  • Control Duration: 60 Seconds

Gear
Psykers also have some nifty special gear only they can use.

Telesthetic Plating
This armor contains a non-newtonian fluid that hardens when mental energy passes through it, creating a strong barricade. However, the fluid breaks down after a number of uses and becomes inert.
  • Duration: 30 Seconds
  • Effect: -40% Damage Taken

Impulse Generator
This beacon creates a Beta Wave pulse that messes with the alien's mind, causing it to direct it's aggression towards the source of the wave rather than the squad.
  • Duration: 10
  • Effect: Re-directs Aggro to deployed generator
  • Radius: 1.5x more than Damage Amplifier.

New Campaigns and Unlockables!
Alright, the real meat of the mod. There are five new campaigns, each one with their own unique setting and concept.

Desolate
On an abandoned mining world, the swarm has both come and gone. But orbital survey's suggest that maybe the swarm left something behind that can expose a weakness in the endless onslaught and stop it once and for all.
  • Rocky terrain keeps players on their toes in case of burrowing swarms.
  • Large expanses of destructible boulders could lead to hidden caches of weapons and supplies.

Overgrowth
The Swarm has struck again, but this time you're in position to stop it before it starts. The jungle world is teeming with life and ripe biomass for the swarm, and the trees can often hide dangerous parasites from view. Stay sharp.
  • Lush tropical forests and exotic wildlife hide the swarms and give them the resources to grow exponentially in strength and number.
  • Open Air levels enable players to call Bloodhoud fire support when needed.

Civil Service
The urban landscape is in ruins now that the swarm has arrived. But intermittent signals suggest that survivors may have been successful in creating a resistance. Support them and take back this planet.
  • Travel to locations both familiar and unfamiliar as you realize what being a free man is truly about.
  • Friendly AI Supports you!

Squadron Stronghold
The swarm has interrupted one of the longest running civil wars in history of humanity. Both sides have put up an armistice for the time being and have requested our aid to repel the threat so they may continue their endless deathmatch.
  • Beat back the invading brown team while being supported by the Builders League United and Reliable Excavation Demolition corporations.
  • Witness as you must band together warring sides to create a front and deliver the payload into their spawn point!
Space Hulk
Investigate the distress signal coming from a derelict mining vessel and discover what happened to previous IAF crews sent to investigate.
  • Tight corridors force players down multiple paths, as players are must complete multiple objectives simultaneously.
  • Learn just what these aliens have been doing to the dead while in space.

Unlockables!
One unique thing that we now offer you is the ability to unlock certain things. Hidden on certain maps are pickups that when collected, give you side missions, new weapons, and even the ability to play as certain characters that you may recognize. However, we're keeping these a secret for now: And if you are privy to our vault, don't go spoiling the fun!
Want to help?
Got skills with Hammer? Think you've got an artist's touch? Want to contribute ideas and concepts? EVERYTHING is welcome! Just PM me!

Credits
Design Team
Korias
GameMosquito
Nickesty
RareCarpet
Kilarai

Last edited by Korias: 07-20-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
InuTracy

Nearly all of this requires custom code through the DLL so I hope you've got programmers. I'm working on some custom weapons right now in the SDK (once I get everything to compile). If you would like the weapons when I'm finished with them you are more than happy to use them as I don't have any custom assets so all my weapons use the default assets. I'm just getting my hands wet with the Alien Swarm code.

- Swarm Rocket Launcher
- Ice Shotgun
some others...
InuTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Die_Angel

No mentalist bull, we don't need a friggin mage in this game.

Otherwise, have fun doing that.
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Tidenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuTracy View Post
Nearly all of this requires custom code through the DLL so I hope you've got programmers. I'm working on some custom weapons right now in the SDK (once I get everything to compile). If you would like the weapons when I'm finished with them you are more than happy to use them as I don't have any custom assets so all my weapons use the default assets. I'm just getting my hands wet with the Alien Swarm code.

- Swarm Rocket Launcher
- Ice Shotgun
some others...
When I create a mod, I can't find the project file. How do you compile it?
Tidenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Korias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidenburg View Post
When I create a mod, I can't find the project file. How do you compile it?
Please do not derail this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_Angel View Post
we don't need a friggin mage in this game.

Otherwise, have fun doing that.
As I believe I stated, the Psyker class is completely optional: You dont need it, and it simply offers a variant to the standard gameplay.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
kommandojoe

Do you even have a team, or know HOW to complete your ideas? Cause so far you sound like what most modders refer to as "The idea guy." which is something i wont bother explaining, but its not a good title to have
kommandojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Korias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommandojoe View Post
Do you even have a team, or know HOW to complete your ideas? Cause so far you sound like what most modders refer to as "The idea guy." which is something i wont bother explaining, but its not a good title to have
I know exactly what you mean - and we do know how to code, so while I am the main idea guy, I am still able to pull my weight.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Die_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korias View Post
I know exactly what you mean - and we do know how to code, so while I am the main idea guy, I am still able to pull my weight.
Oooooh a "main idea guy" ^_^
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Kilarai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommandojoe View Post
*Shivers*
Kilarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
dra6o0n

-_-

Why do I feel like those statements are seriously used to attack people with great ideas?

I wouldn't bother calling them "idea guys" that's modern... Use philosophers, it's basically the same term. See? It's a great idea... But you guys don't like it when someone twists something you dislike into something cooler.
dra6o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
inerg

Looks like a good mod. Sent you a PM to see if I can participate. Hopefully you guys will get the full team you need to finish this.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Mistah25K

Looks really good. I would help but i would just be a useless idea guy (See what i did there ). But seriously If you guys can do this it would be amazing and I applaud your initiative
Mistah25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
iZach

Some interesting ideas. Hopefully you can get a full team together. I myself am very new to modding, so unfortunately I wouldn't really be of any help.
iZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
inerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZach View Post
Some interesting ideas. Hopefully you can get a full team together. I myself am very new to modding, so unfortunately I wouldn't really be of any help.
I have practically no experience in modding but I still applied just because your new to it doesn't mean your useless. Even if you get one thing done that's one thing sooner to them being able to release the mod.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Die_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra6o0n View Post
-_-

Why do I feel like those statements are seriously used to attack people with great ideas?

I wouldn't bother calling them "idea guys" that's modern... Use philosophers, it's basically the same term. See? It's a great idea... But you guys don't like it when someone twists something you dislike into something cooler.
Because ideas are a dime a dozen, what is lacking is always peoples that have the competences to make those ideas a reality.

There is no shortage of peoples with "bright ideas" in modding communities but i made a habit of not giving them any credit unless they come up with an actual work in progress.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm > Custom Campaigns / Maps