Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Last Remnant, The

Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
xFadedx

Anymore games like this on pc?

Just wondering if there are any other games for the PC like this? Final Fantasy like style?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
NuclearGoth

I wish. :/ Most PC gamers aren't, particularly, into J-RPGs. Which is why the only other J-RPG I know of on Steam is Final Fantasy XI.
Which I -would- have given a shot if it weren't for the payments after buying the game.

EDIT

Just noticed it said "on pc" and not "on Steam".

I'm pretty sure there are ports of other console J-RPGs for PC. I'm not sure, but I think there's a Phantasy Star for PC.
NuclearGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
xFadedx

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on going back to console gaming, so I guess I'm just out of luck.
xFadedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
NuclearGoth

I'll definitely search Gamespot for some good PC-based J-RPGs for you. XD Don't give up hope just yet.

Found very few. Did a little reading around and found out that PC gaming is actually crazy expensive in Japan, which is why most of their roleplaying games end up as console exclusives.
As you probably already know, Final Fantasies VII and VIII were ported to PC. VII even having some extra content the original Playstation version didn't have, and I believe imprived graphics.

Grandia II also looked interesting. It's pretty cartoony, and was made by Ubisoft, ported for PC in 2002. But it's got that J-RPG turn-based combat.

I -believe- Final Fantasy XII was also ported to PC. But don't quote me on that.

There are a few more I can add to the list, but nothing modern. :/ Sorry.
However, there's always emulations of older J-RPGs you may have missed on consoles that some people have gladly converted to PC for free.

:P I use emulators al the time, and that's where I play most retro games I missed growing up as a 90's child.

Last edited by NuclearGoth: 07-24-2010 at 09:32 PM.
NuclearGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
xFadedx

Thanks for the help. I like a lot of the things the Japanese create. Wish more people did as well. Looks like I'll have to check out emulation.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Xabu

I don't think its so much PC gamers not being "into" JRPGs as much, so much as it is Japan not really being "into" PC gaming. Even Starcraft 2 isn't getting a Japanese release. Console competition is ferocious over there and always has been, so seeing directly developed games by the larger companies such as Squenix and Atlus is extremely uncommon. It's a pity though, as more JRPG titles could fit in very well if they're ported as well as this one is.
Xabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Brumbek

As for games like Last Remnant, there aren't many. A few come to mind like Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn, Ogre Battle for the PS1, and Ogre Battle 64 for the N64. All can be played flawlessly using emulators I might add, and all three are absolute must-play classics. (Play them NOW!)

FFXII never was ported to PC but it is a masterpiece and somewhat similar to TLR. It also can be easily purchased for $10-20 and played perfectly on the latest PCSX2 emulator.

And about the PS2, there's a gigantic list of quality RPGs that can be played perfectly on the PCSX2 emulator. Search GameSpot for top PS2 RPGs.
Brumbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
xFadedx

Will it be able to play PSOne titles as well? Would be awesome to play legend of dragoon once more. Probably difficult to find a copy though. If the emulator works well then I'll be hitting up amazon. You guys are awesome thanks for all the information.

Does the emulator look worse than the original or will it play better? I have a wide-screen monitor as well so will it be compatible?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Brumbek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFadedx View Post
Will it be able to play PSOne titles as well?

Does the emulator look worse than the original or will it play better? I have a wide-screen monitor as well so will it be compatible?
The PS2 emulator PCXS2 only plays PS2 games. However, there's already several nearly perfect emulators for the PS1. ePSXe is the best, just google that. So yes, it will allow you to replay ALL your old PS1 games. I should mention that the PS2 emulator requires a good computer. The PS1 emulator runs well even on slower machines.

As far as appearance, emulators make games look BETTER, much better. The PS1 and PS2 games will have sharper graphics and higher resolution. So emulators play games better than the original.

Widescreen is not an issue. Newer PS2 games that support widescreen will do fullscreen for you. Older PS1 games can be run fullscreen and just have black bars on the sides of the screen. Or you can run a non-widescreen game in windowed mode. So if you have a 1650x1050 widescreen monitor, you run the emulator in 1280x1024 windowed mode.
Brumbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Zloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFadedx View Post
Just wondering if there are any other games for the PC like this? Final Fantasy like style?
Wait, what? The combat system in this game is unique - extremely unique. No game has anything like this combat system. (And, given the sales, you probably won't see any game try to use a system like this for at least another decade.) The story in this game really doesn't live up to the Final Fantasy standard. Well, maybe 12's, but not the rest.

Just exactly what is it about this game that you like? The story? The combat system? The crafting?

If you're just looking for a game with a good story from another country, The Witcher is certainly good for that. If you're looking for a flat out good story, the Mass Effect series is doing very well there. Good story plus deep combat? Dragon Age: Origins (don't bother with any DLC that isn't free). We've got to know what you're looking for before we can say what fits the bill!
Zloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Xabu

Judging from every single reply in this thread, I'm reasonably sure the OP was looking for more JRPGs on the PC, not another game that had the exact same combat system as TLR.
Xabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Drullo321

Im searching too. I suggest Grandia II for PC or FFX 10 (PS2 or Emulator), both are J-RPG Style and Turn Based and are worth it, both little bit older.
Unfortunately i heard the TLR Sales werent the best I hope Square or any other Publisher/Producer would create more J-RPG Turn Based (not Active Time Battle) games for the PC or at least a port from the conseole (I really like the FF-Series but i dislike the active time combat system so i didnt buy a console and also not their games)
Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
scrubbycritter

Yes

I have Final Fantasy 8 for the PC, and it is actually my favorite FF series ever But also, the poster above me is correct, Final Fantasy 7 was released for the PC, but good luck trying to find a copy without breaking your wallet, they are rare and expensive. Other than that, I don't really know any other J-RPG for the PC, which is a shame I think. All we get is the World of Warcraft crap Action RPG's, and I don't mind them but there is a huge gap between that and J-RPG's. I would say that 95% of PC RPG's are Action RPG's and only 5% are actual J-RPG's, and I miss them. The days Of Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Lunar, Parasite Eve, etc.
scrubbycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
Boredom

Breath Of Fire IV also exist for PC. It's really a pity to see a complete lack of JRPGs for PC market. But, unfortunately, the JRPGs market is, also, getting worse each year. The golden days of JRPGs with great quality is over, I presume.
Boredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
BobT36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbek View Post
As for games like Last Remnant, there aren't many. A few come to mind like Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn, Ogre Battle for the PS1, and Ogre Battle 64 for the N64. All can be played flawlessly using emulators I might add, and all three are absolute must-play classics. (Play them NOW!)

FFXII never was ported to PC but it is a masterpiece and somewhat similar to TLR. It also can be easily purchased for $10-20 and played perfectly on the latest PCSX2 emulator.

And about the PS2, there's a gigantic list of quality RPGs that can be played perfectly on the PCSX2 emulator. Search GameSpot for top PS2 RPGs.
The Saturn had some fantastic RPGs.

Shining Force 3 on the Saturn was awesome, strategic combat where you command a massive party.
BobT36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Last Remnant, The