Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
jasonr

Valve
Steam Client Beta Available

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

7/23/2010

- Tabbed user chat / web browser
- Fixed unused game tags still showing up
- New non-blocking game uninstall dialog
- Improved client shutdown times
- Updated WebKit code for client/in-game browser (improved stability on OSX, various browser fixes)
- Fix some cases of Steam becoming unresponsive for 5-10 seconds when new game updates are released

7/28/2010

- Fixed chat input issues
- Control-tab now cycles through chat tabs -default to opening chats in tabs (can be disabled in Settings->Friends)
- Fixes to progress bar on win7 task icon in handling paused downloads as well as finished downloads.

7/30/2010

- Fixed auto login to Steam community pages
- Fixed sometimes needing to restart Steam after installing PhysX

8/04/2010

- Fixed new chat window stealing input focus
- CTRL+W closes tab pages
- New group chat icons
- Reinstalling from a goldmaster triggers a content verification if the game is already installed

8/05/2010

- Fixed web links in games detail page

8/09/2010

- Fixed a bug with new chat windows in the in-game overlay showing in the top left of the screen instead of correctly tabbed when first received
- Fixed a bug with HTML pop-up windows not sizing correctly
- Changed overlay hot-key detection to not consider ctrl-shift-tab to be the same as shift-tab, thus allowing it’s use in tabbed chat/browsing in-game
- Windows: 64 bit build of the in-game overlay (useable now with any 64bit non-Steam game you may add)
- Windows: 64 bit builds of Steamworks DLLs (for upcoming titles)
- Fixed links in game details news body having incorrect font size

8/10/2010

- Fixed a regression in applying styles of the type “Parent Child” for skins
- Fixed “hidden” achievements showing up in the game details page and overlay “so close…” ui
- Fixed the “alt” key sometimes sticking in the in-game overlay after an alt-tab event
- Windows: Improved overlay compatibility with some previously conflicting third party applications
- Fixed a regression removing the seconds display from the in-game overlay clock
- Fixed a crash on shutdown

Addendum

We forgot to mention in the original notes, that this also has a fix for Steam freezing / becoming unresponsive for 5-10 seconds when we release game updates.

8/11/2010

- Changed tabbed chat/browser tab titles to not be uppercased
- Fixed regression showing already achieved achievements as “So close…” in the in-game overlay
- Fixed an issue with tab control order in group chats
- Improved hit area for tabs in chats to include the chat icon
- OSX: browser performance improvements
- Windows: More overlay compatibility improvements

8/12/2010

- Fix for a crash on exit in the in-game overlay
- Fix for a crash in flash when the web page is destructing inside the in-game overlay
- Increased timeouts on Steam Cloud file uploads
- Fixes for some localized versions of friend/group chat title strings
- Fix regression of sizing of in-game overlay web browser when a Steamworks game requests the Steam store to display

8/13/2010

- Middle-click on a link in the in-game browser now opens in new tab
- Middle-click on a tab title now closes the clicked tab
- Windows: You may now use Ctrl-F4 or Ctrl-W to close the active tab
- Windows: Fixed Polish KB layout Right-Alt-W closing chat tabs
- Mac: Cmd-W now closes the active tab instead of the entire window, Cmd-Option-W closes entire window
- Fix tabbed chat/browser windows not fading out correctly on close of window or last tab
- Windows: More improvements to in-game overlay compatibility for x86
- Some fit and finish tweaks for tabbed chat/browser window styles
- Fixed localization of various window titles

8/16/2010

- Fixed being able to close tabs outside tabbed chat/browsing with middle click
- Fixed Rabobank payment page for iDEAL checkout not showing correctly in the Steam Client
- Fixed a bug parsing certain HTML tags inside News bodies
- Fixed a bug with ALT key getting “stuck” in the overlay in some games (ie, Mafia 1)
- Fixed new incoming chats taking focus away from current tabs text entry if they are opening in a new tab in the same window
- Fixed window continuing to flash in the taskbar after you’ve activated all tabs with new messages
- Fixed not being able to re-enter some group chats after closing the window frame rather than the tab containing the chat previously
- Fixed top half of avatar images in chats not being right clickable for context menu

8/17/2010

- Fixed more cases of chat windows flashing when they should not
- Fixed a potential crash when failing to parse new stats/achievements data for a game
- OSX: Fix several memory leaks
- OSX: Fix copy/paste resulting in extra random string data

8/18/2010

- Fixed a regression getting updated stats/achievements schema for Steamworks games
- Fixed a crash on exit for the client and in-game overlay

8/19/2010

- Fixed creating .dmp files unnecessarily when receiving stats/achievements updates

Last edited by jasonr: 08-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
FulValBot (ITA)

when i try this beta when i put my mouse on steam icon on right it gone and i need to manually start steam client...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Chris Fifty-Two

Love the sound of improved shutdown times and the tabbed user chat. Will opt in for this beta.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Spidery_Yoda

Ooh tabbed user chat and web browsing. Definitely trying this beta out.

Edit: So how exactly do I have several friend tabs at once? Opening new friend chat windows just opens new windows, and I can't see an option to open it in a new tab. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda: 07-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
FulValBot (ITA)

i suggest to add an option for enable/disable tabbed chat. (default is disabled.)
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Sgt.Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidery_Yoda View Post
Ooh tabbed user chat and web browsing. Definitely trying this beta out.

Edit: So how exactly do I have several friend tabs at once? Opening new friend chat windows just opens new windows, and I can't see an option to open it in a new tab. Am I missing something?
you can drag them, but i wish they opened up automatically or new messages at least, i hope they add an option.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Spidery_Yoda

Ahh yes now I understand. Got it working now thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
PurSpyk!!

The Steam icon on the Windows 7 taskbar still shows odd colours, wheh logging on the icon has a yellow background, when downloading the background is green but never shows that th e download is complete. This problem actually started during the last beta version and was never fixed.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Sgt.Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidery_Yoda View Post
Ahh yes now I understand. Got it working now thanks.
no problem, Its really cool, but the option to have incoming messages and new chats created by the user should really be an option or default, makes more sense.

But at least we got tabbed chat so i am happy.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Forsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurSpyk!! View Post
The Steam icon on the Windows 7 taskbar still shows odd colours, wheh logging on the icon has a yellow background, when downloading the background is green but never shows that th e download is complete. This problem actually started during the last beta version and was never fixed.
I have this problem to.

Screenshot: http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1549/skrmklippb.jpg
Old 07-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
FulValBot (ITA)

and me too. this time with last css update.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
freibooter

Same here, this bug was introduced and reported during the last beta ... sadly it hasn't been fixed. Finished downloads color the Steam icon green, permanently.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
Sgt.Sausage

I am still waiting for the option to have steam event notifications not alt tab games or have them go in the overlay or something. I love my events, but when in the middle of battle nothing is worse than getting minimized.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Spidery_Yoda

I think i've encountered a bug.

Someone just started chatting to me in Steam, and their chat window didn't show up in the Windows 7 taskbar. Or as a new tab in the current chat window. I had to open the friends list myself and click on his name to read what it said.

In hindsight it might have been hiding behind Firefox and I could've seen it that way, but it definitely wasn't showing up in the taskbar until I manually opened a chat window with the guy.

This is after combining 2 other chat windows into one. It might be related.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
FulValBot (ITA)

when on right i see a chat if i clic it i get friends list instead that chat. this is a very old bug that i suggeast to fix...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion